Think your Sunday is going badly? Look at my barrel..

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, by all accounts, it’s a rewrite of the first report.

I was hoping they would remove the damaged choke and check its tolerances. I appreciate entirely removal could damage it but its thickness, thread dimensions etc could all then be checked. Quoting two (and only two) measurements of the undamaged choke says nothing, as does saying how they make them – we need to know about the one that failed. As I understand it, the chokes are 70.1mm long and the bored out section 69.8mm so the choke always marries up to the end of the bored out section perfectly. The barrel steps down (they call this the safety step) to the choke and it would be helpful to know by much. I assume the video confirms the "safety step" for the failed (bottom) barrel as any gap there, caused by the threads or it been off round etc would be fatal and could quickly cause debris to build up. I’m also assuming that when they refer to “debris” they mean shooting deposits not rust or other contamination that may have 'occurred' since the barrels were posted. They should be able to tell.

Not sure what else to say that has not already been said other than have they answered your questions. If not go back and ask them to; I assume you now have the proofing cert etc.

If it was me, and you are going to get a new set of barrels get a manufacturer multi choked set, sell the chokes that don't fit and forget about Teague.

Problem is I love my gun - so I won't be moving it on. I want to keep the wood as it's custom to me, isis pad and adj. trigger. Ultimately need to procure a new set of 32" barrels (or barrels and action depending on portability) and then bring wood, pad, trigger etc over. 

Problem is I love my gun - so I won't be moving it on. I want to keep the wood as it's custom to me, isis pad and adj. trigger. Ultimately need to procure a new set of 32" barrels (or barrels and action depending on portability) and then bring wood, pad, trigger etc over. 
In that case then, I would be buying another miroku with 32" barrels and just swap the wood over. Simple enough job. Then move the other gun on with the shortened barrels either to a dealer or through auction. That to me would be the easiest and quickest way out of a bad situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's 32", could you fudge a 30" if you cut them down?
The choke is cut a quoted 2 ¾” (69.8mm) deep, so allowing for the damaged area and to cut out any material that may have been put under stress, I think you’d be hard pressed to get 29” out of it.

I think Tiptops plan maybe best.

There maybe no harm in getting Teague to cut the barrel and re-bore now - they say they will do that for free.

At 28 inches with a bit for the (external) chokes you might end up with a usable set of skeet barrels given you still have some open chokes. At that length they may also be useful for any rough shooting you might be invited to.

Then its your choice, new barrels only and keep the skeet barrels or new gun and barrels and swap it all over and sell on.

As above, get Teague to do the work, oh and ask if they could throw in a couple of extra long extended chokes to make up the difference 😉 😄

yes that makes sence @antse7en buy another 32" miroku trap/sporter , swap your wood and adjustable trigger(if trap) to new action & barrels . take teague up on shortening barrels and re choke to fit your chokes ,then fit donor gun wood and sell on, might be a small market but would (after all previous jokes) make a good skeet gun ,or if stock was shortened a suitable starter for a younger person , all depending on price for just barrels obviously , hopefully some one will come up trumps on that for you.

First of all, sorry to hear this is the best they came up with. I am most inclined towards your version of events, but that would only help if it wasn't easy to have an opinion behind a keyboard.

I can see how you are attached to the gun (even having traded in a short-lived 694, if memory serves), my sugjestion (yes, pun intended) is that you keep the gun indeed, shorten the barrels and just change discipline.

I can heartily recommend taking up skeet (as other have said) 😷😄

If you are after another set of barrels speak to Matt Morgan at Premier guns, he seems to have access to a lot of browning miroku components. Only the other day someone was asking him for a set of 32" barrels on a group on Facebook and he had a set for a miroku.

Classic manufacturers get out! Here is what we think ... nothing to do with us... but we will cut and prepare your barrels to accept the remaining chokes free of charge... which is actually more work than we did on your gun in the first place!

I am a cynic, I know, but if they have no fault in this failure why this action? It keeps their business out of it they are doing it as a favour to a valued customer we are a very understanding bunch us 🤣

What ever it is a decent outcome because you can use those barrels for game shooting... I am assuming you should get about 26" out of them an extended choke gives another inch or so.

Classic manufacturers get out! Here is what we think ... nothing to do with us... but we will cut and prepare your barrels to accept the remaining chokes free of charge... which is actually more work than we did on your gun in the first place!

I am a cynic, I know, but if they have no fault in this failure why this action? It keeps their business out of it they are doing it as a favour to a valued customer we are a very understanding bunch us 🤣

What ever it is a decent outcome because you can use those barrels for game shooting... I am assuming you should get about 26" out of them an extended choke gives another inch or so.
Or bank jobs. 😬😁😛😬😁

The clever thing to do would be 

1) buy 38 trap barrels  , get  Teague Precision to fit your chokes to that gun barrel  , ok they might end up a thou or two out of spec in terms of existing choke v  new barrel , but who cares ? Obviously the laser marked choke serial numbers won’t match the barrels 

2) get them to cut down the damaged barrels( and presumably attend to the bead and solder at the muzzle . 

they have done no more work in the above scenario than they havealready  promised . They have gunsmiths , ask them to quote a reasonable price to fit the new barrels , and ensure the cut down barrels still fit . 

you now have a set of 29” cylinder barrels , as well as your 32” sporting ones .Perhaps skeet , game ,  hide gun , Starshot even 😂

Last edited by a moderator:
Following this thread with lots of interest .

If you look closely at all the photographs , the bottom barrel has a double bulge in it , I thought this may have been caused by detonation due to an excess of oil left in the barrels ? Look closely and you can see that the lip of the choke in the bottom barrel has been torn and lifted ? Look at the choke removed from the top barrel , look at the mess that is all over it , that surely has never been caused with only a few shots through it since being thoroughly cleaned only the day before .

I am sorry but something just does not add up in this investigation .

Latest posts

Back