The Oxfordshire shooting ground - Enstone

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter.W-T

Who's been here before ?

What did you think ?

Went today for the first time :

Although the weather was awful and the ground was knee deep in mud my thoughts as follows :

44p per clay on Promatic cards - felt this was expensive for the ground

Traps not working on a lot of the stands

Lots of driven targets and little else

On the plus side :

Very helpful and friendly staff

Great club house

Offer of a glass of wine after the round

Lots of hard standing parking - old airfield perimeter track

Any thoughts ?

Never been and at 44p per clay I never will either !!!!!!!!! Are you sure thats right as it equates to £11 per round of 25 !!!!!! Is it just clays or does it include gun hire ??

DT

Wow!!! just got back up off the floor! that is without a doubt the most expensive ground i have ever come across, my local ground at canterbury charges £28 per hundred bird that is competition rate and a very fine ground indeed. Time to find pastures new Peter ;)

Having read of that experience it's not on my "go to list" and it's local ( ish ), 44p a clay that's a mistake surely?

My "local" ground is 19p per clay, traps almost always work perfectly, traps are always full, food is very reasonable, HUGE stock of cartridges, (permission to hold ?,000,000's)...

44P ! Does that include cartridges, hire of gun, tuition, and /or stock bending and gunfit of own gun ? Sounds too cheap to me.

Hmm tariff on their website says 30p through the week and 40p Saturdays for non-members http://www.theoxfordshireshootingschool.co.uk/tariff.html

Will keep going just nicely I suspect as I would suggest they are more aiming at the game shooting fraternity, hence the plethora of driven targets you noticed.

For my part I would rather go down to Ian Coleys at 33p per clay, Owls lodge at 28p, or Wylye, (cant remember how much Wylye is but certainly under 30p) for practice. To be fair, the added distance to Wylye on a Saturday is more than compensated by cheaper clays and Proper Registered style targets and the ability to find what you missed on the registered the week before.

Lots of driven targets and highly priced. This is clearly aimed at game shooters having a warm up. They usually have £150 lessons, so this will seem cheap to them. Everything seems cheap compared to the actual game shooting..

My neighbours are game shooters and practice at Holland and Holland. I think its £150 for a 100 bird practice round.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would never go there and pay that for clays.

As long as their gunshop in witney stays open and they sell olympics at 158/1000 that will do for me.

scuse I Tiptop, Francis is selling olympics at 158??????  Is this correct? if so I'm all over it like a shellsuit on fire :lol:

scuse I Tiptop, Francis is selling olympics at 158??????  Is this correct? if so I'm all over it like a shellsuit on fire :lol:
Yes he's stocking all the low end eley range in fibre and plastic now including olympis at £158.40.

Have a look on his shop website.

Give him a ring first to make sure he has some in stock,the first delivery sold that quick,he couldn't believe how popular they were.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm need 1k soon and was going back to kent velocity from Charlie, but if I can get Olympics for a fiver more from Francis its a done deal.

All you shell sellers out there, this is your problem, you dont promote your prices effectively on the net. why should we drive around to find the best prices or hear them word of mouth?  the internet is your friend guys ;)

hmm need 1k soon and was going back to kent velocity from Charlie, but if I can get Olympics for a fiver more from Francis its a done deal.

All you shell sellers out there, this is your problem, you dont promote your prices effectively on the net. why should we drive around to find the best prices or hear them word of mouth?  the internet is your friend guys ;)
This is very true. For example why doesn't The Sportsman Gun Centre publish its prices - one can understand the small stores with little Internet presence or where they can't compete and rely on passing or regular customers who are less price sensitive but TSGC is big in Devon, Dorset & South Wales.

not wishing to be controversial, but its probably so they can charge mates rates. If there is no price published anywhere you can basically name it when asked, customer takes it or leaves it. The old chestnut of "cartridge prices are volatile so our website may not be up to date" doesn't cut the mustard with me I'm afraid, it takes 2 seconds to raise your prices. As for "phone for the best deals" dont even get me started!!!!!!!!

Going back to enstone club, this is where I I have been going! Now must admit as I am only recently getting back into this game and pass it quite often as its fairly local to me as I'm often out that way so first port of call you might say to get back in the swing of things, but now reading this post I am seriously kicking myself for not doing a bit more research as by all accounts this is expensive, so gents, my question is where would you suggest to venture, I am out in Heyford, near Bicester for those who know the area, basically I am out for fun and as I say just getting back into some clay shooting after a 25 year break so needs to be fairly easy going!

Steve

Latest posts

Back