EJ Churchill - 6th September

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSCA

ShootClay Admin
Decent day of sunshine yesterday and a light day at work meant I could get out and shoot the registered at my local ground. Arrived about 2.45 to find I was about 25th card out, so obviously plenty of people fancied the same as me, out in the sunshine. Saw CleverSC3, Clever_Dad and a few other familiar faces on the wander round.

Felt like a few stands had changed in the 100 reg - with some new stuff round the back, and a few tweaks to make targets a bit more interesting - still had a few chatty scorers out there, but as I was going round on my own I could get on and off stands quite quickly.

Stand 1 was a flattish teal o/r with a left to right rising quartering bird with lots of spring - I noticed a few people walk past it and start on stand 2 so obviously people didn't fancy it. I took 8ex10 dropping two of the quick second bird with a dodgy hold point, was experimenting quite a lot yesterday so some stands had variable results. Stand 2 was a simo pair of driven - prett good stuff. Stand 3 was a driven off to the right (could almost have been a crosser), with and on report flattish teal, I managed to drop all of the driven which really annoyed me, I think I was pulling offline. Stand 4 was a quartering right to left bird followed by a left-right rabbit running up the bank. Stand 5 was in 'The Sticks' a bit same-old stuff - g/a left to right with a right-left incomer on report - always the same and I wish they'd drop this from their registered. I was 34ex50 at the halfway point.

Stand 6 was in the grouse butt - once again my nemesis, and I'm beginning to believe that I talk myself out of any scores on this stand before I even get in the cage. A fast right to left crosser followed by a fast left to right crosser - both edge on, quick and looking like little pencils to be hit. I struggled to pick them up, and struggled more to hit them. Stand 7 was a rabbit clay thrown as a small flat looper r/l followed by a curling right to left crosser across the bank - I satisfingly hit all the long crosser but dropped one of the close up bin-lid rabbits. Stand 8 was a left/right g/a bird followed by a 25yd rabbit. Stand 9 was another higher left to right g/a bird with a high looper which I quite enjoyed - under leading the first one then finding everything from there. To finish up was a quick overhead g/w followed by a teal/crow thing which got vapourised, I hit the first overhead and then couldn't find the rest - the scorer told me afterwards that she thought I was overleading them. Finished the round at 66ex100 - which was OK for me and an improvement on some recent DIRE scores.

Interesting thing for me was that I decided to try some different things with hold points some of which worked, some of which didn't - and I shot the round with two different sets of cartridges for the first and second halves - both different from my normal shells (White Gold XLR) - I shot the first 50 with Cheddite Trap Oro (24g / 7.5) which were excellent, very satisfying kills and easy on the shoulder, felt very smooth to me. The second 50 I shot with the new Evo Sporting from Gamebore (28g / 7.5) which felt a lot more punchy and cracky and definitely weren't quite as satisfying - although the big close up dinner plates gut turned to smoke by them, so kills were as good, as far as I could see.

Decent enough track - with some changes and some stuff exactly the same - no wow factor, but OK for an afternoon run round when work permits. Haven't seen any results yet, but expect it will score quite high with perfect conditions for shooting, Alex Cobb was in front of me and I think was in mid-90's.

Back