The jitters

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SIMON-B

I'm new to registered/competitive shooting only just started this year even though I have shot for many years. Any tips for curing/preventing nerves before a competition. :blink:

chicken curry no worry

Good question. I am still nervous when shooting with people watching and get pretty nervous. I guess I just need to shoot more comps and forget about the people watching but easier said than done.

Good question, I've been shooting registered a couple of years and still get nervous before a shoot and I know it doesn't help.

I think I'm going to try having a go on the pool shoot before I start the comp, at least that way I think I'll feel a bit more settled than I would have going straight onto stand 1.

Good question. I am still nervous when shooting with people watching and get pretty nervous. I guess I just need to shoot more comps and forget about the people watching but easier said than done.
I dont mind people watching, but I get a mixture of excited and nervous follwed by a complete slump when I have a bad stand. I guess it's all in the mind!! :huh:

chicken curry no worry

I'm new to registered/competitive shooting only just started this year even though I have shot for many years. Any tips for curing/preventing nerves before a competition. :blink:

chicken curry no worry
Apparently, have a chicken curry.

chicken curry no worry

Apparently, have a chicken curry.
I have a curry before a shoot everyone should worry. ;)

chicken curry no worry

You need to try and work out what is causing the nerves, are you worried what the people watching you shoot are thinking, are you worried if you look like a blind monkey shooting? Are you worried about your overall score or performance? Until you can be very honest about what you think is causing the nerves its hard to get over.

It's perfectly natural to have some nerves before you start shooting especially in the big majors, what you need to try and do is convert the butterflies into focus. Block everything else out and enjoy it.

I think my main worry is what the people watching will think of my shooting. I've only shot 2 reg comps so far and not shot well at either but then I've only gone through 2000 shells in total since getting my SGC in May, so still pretty newinexperienced. I shoot reasonably well (for me) when on my own and need to try to find a way to forget others are watching. I still enjoy it but I think I am probably rushing when people watch and then end up shooting poorly as a result...apologies for hijacking your thread Berzetta..

Last edited by a moderator:
Nick, that is probably the most common issue all new shooters face, what you have to constantly remind yourself is, everyone was once a newbie and we all went through the learning curve. The majority of shooters are understanding and will help new shooters, so when people are watching you just remember they all started the same way.

You need to try and work out what is causing the nerves, are you worried what the people watching you shoot are thinking, are you worried if you look like a blind monkey shooting? Are you worried about your overall score or performance? Until you can be very honest about what you think is causing the nerves its hard to get over.

It's perfectly natural to have some nerves before you start shooting especially in the big majors, what you need to try and do is convert the butterflies into focus. Block everything else out and enjoy it.
yes agree with Matt. I tend to shoot better when I am nervous before a shoot, it's about turning the butterflies in to focus!! It used to happen with all the sports I have played. Again it's about getting that head right!!!!

Thanks Matt. The blokes I have gone round with from here at the 2 reg comps have been brilliant and very supportive but it's hard not to feel like a bit of a tit when you blank a stand and they have hit most of them. I think I just need to shoot more comps and also try to forget what others think...

Trust me, everyone has the "shot like a tit" moment, even experienced shooters, sometimes a target will catch you out and make you look like a tit. When you have been shooting for a while you will see what I'm talking about and you will chuckle to yourself.

I remember the first time I shot with the very top shots in the Country, I was so nervous it was pathetic, the minute I realised we all have to start somewhere I was fine ish... Fast forward a few years and I recently got a "well shot" somment from one of them! Full circle of a shooters life .

I think my main worry is what the people watching will think of my shooting.
I know how you feel. I've been shooting for about a year and I still feel a bit twitchy when people I don't know are watching. I've been going to a local straw baler where you shoot in two groups of between 6 and 10 people and that has helped a lot as it's got me used to being watched all the time you are shooting there. They are all a friendly bunch and give you a harder time when you are doing well than if you are having an off day.

Get a conscious pre-shot routine/check list and burn it in.  Concentrate on where the first target is coming from make that kill.

Hijack away nick thats what the forum is for mate.

I have been analysing my thought process and expectation and performance seem to be my downfall, I know I can do better when relaxed and have tried to turn the tension into focus, just can't seem to pull it off. As this cycle goes round and round its getting worse and now I'm right royally f**ked off with myself.

chicken curry no worry

In my experience you can't cure/prevent nervs you just need to learn how to use them to your advantage. I've been shooting for 20+ years at all levels of competition and still get twitchy at the big events.

In my experience you can't cure/prevent nervs you just need to learn how to use them to your advantage. I've been shooting for 20+ years at all levels of competition and still get twitchy at the big events.
Depends on what "nerves" are. If it's an adrenalin flood, that's normal and you can manage it with things like a pre-shot routine, stopping and taking time to breathe, even using some mental tricks. I haven't learned to manage that particularly well yet. If it's a cortisol response then it's stress and most likely a pre-existing trauma being activated. I've had people who were going into meltdown every time they were going to shoot clays but not game - they don't have that problem any more. I've had people who couldn't stand others looking at them - that's cured as well. 

The interesting thing for me is that some clients have problems during shooting that actually stem from a completely unrelated incident. If you go into meltdown when you get something wrong then we can address that as it's the "getting something wrong" part rather than the "whilst shooting" part that matters. People aren't blank canvases, and our life experiences get into the present all the time. You may never have had an incident whilst shooting, but you can sure as heck bring baggage along from the rest of your experiences.

Shoot every clay as though it means nothing, and one day it will mean everything ???    I know I know,  it made no f---ing sense to me either when a two time world champ explained to me about how to handle pressure. 

Back