Testing 3 shot semi auto

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom

Evening all

I have purchased a 3 shot Beretta A303 and need to take it out to see how it handles and cycles and generally get used to it for pigeon shooting.

I use 21gram shells for sporting and am not sure it will cycle well with them but use 30gram minimum for game, but I don't think I can use above 28gram at the clubs so don't really want to buy 28grams just to try the semi.

Question is can I have full use of the gun I.e 3 shots to check the cycling with my cartridges or is that against the rules (even though it is only practice) or is it just generally frowned upon?

Cheers,

Tom

If it cycles 2 it will usually cycle 3. Just make sure you shoot 2 3/4 inch shells, a lot of autos struggle with shorter shells

I was just thinking if I had full use I could test say 100 cartridges quicker than with 2 shot to see how consistent it was, but I should really just shoot as normal instead of trying to rush through.

Cheers,

Tom

Evening all

I have purchased a 3 shot Beretta A303 and need to take it out to see how it handles and cycles and generally get used to it for pigeon shooting.

I use 21gram shells for sporting and am not sure it will cycle well with them but use 30gram minimum for game, but I don't think I can use above 28gram at the clubs so don't really want to buy 28grams just to try the semi.

Question is can I have full use of the gun I.e 3 shots to check the cycling with my cartridges or is that against the rules (even though it is only practice) or is it just generally frowned upon?

Cheers,

Tom
I think you will be very lucky, if it cycles 21g consistently...will need to be very clean at best.

However, my mate used to run 24g through one.

If recoil is the issue, then consider that it is a semi, so you will barely know the difference between a 21 and a 28.

If it is a cost issue, 24g aren't much dearer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evening all

Cheers,

Tom
At a clay shoot only TWO cartridges are loaded, unless it's a shoot desinged for autos. You will be not popular if you load three on a stand, plus it's unsafe.

Tom, From my experience of the Beretta 303 it will not cycle 21gm cartridges and may not cycle 24gm.

If you must use 21gm then you can ease the gas vent holes slightly but the gun will not then like firing anything larger,particularly 30gm as you can damage the gun as the bolt is driven back.

It should cycle 28gm so why not use those?

The 303 is possibly the best auto that Beretta made and the new Outlander is very much like it except for the modern gas regulation system.

Vic.

Thanks guys.

Mike why do you say it is unsafe to have 3 loaded if I intended to use 3? Is it because sporting (unless a semi auto event) is 2 shot and other people won't be expecting me to have 3 cartridges in? As long as I know i have 3 cartridges in and I use the gun correctly (like I would if I had 2 in) then it should only be frowned upon not dangerous, please expand if you feel differently.

VicW, I only use 21g because I have it in my head that they break clays ( which they do) and don't see the point in throwing more lead and taking more recoil than necessary, I'm still experimenting with cartridges and once I'm through this 1000 I will try something different, I'm not going to mess with the gas ports, would more likely buy a slab of 28g for purely semi use.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom,

Clays are usually thrown on report or as pairs therefore you only need two cartridges in your gun, it is not the done thing to load three cartridges to shoot at two clays. I would not expect it to happen at a shooting ground.

I think the point here is as it is new to him he wants to make sure it cycles 3 for pigeon shooting not any form of competition. If you are shooting it on a practice day (ie pay and play) at your local ground, have a word with the ground manager on a quiet day and I'm sure there wont be a problem.

Yes, in competition the cpsa rules state only 2 loaded at a time and even on a straw baler only load 2. Not saying the OP will have a safety issue if he loads 3 but safer to only load what you need, even very experienced shots can forget how many they have up the tube if loading more than 2 :)

Don't take it wrong mike I wasn't having a go just wondered why you say it's unsafe, I totally get your point.

Do grounds have rules for how many shots are permitted? I dont recall seeing signs up anywhere it then it has never mattered to me before, if I took a section 1 semi then in theory I could have 5 shots at a clay I have payed for. It may be that it is just an unwritten rule or only something you find out if you enquire or get a sec 1 licence.

I'm happy to just use 2 shots if that will give me the results I want, like you say fuz if it cycles with 2 then I can find out reliability only loading 2 at a time.

Cheers,

Tom

Do grounds have rules for how many shots are permitted? I dont recall seeing signs up anywhere it then it has never mattered to me before, if I took a section 1 semi then in theory I could have 5 shots at a clay I have payed for. It may be that it is just an unwritten rule or only something you find out if you enquire or get a sec 1 licence.

Cheers,

Tom
It is one shot per target with very few exceptions, even then you are only allowed to load 2 at a time. Section 1 guns are not exempt, trust us you'll lose friends faster than you can empty your magazine otherwise. :smile:

Tom,

I understand your reasons for wanting to try 3 shells but as an auto shooter myself you NEVER load more than 2! They are the CPSA guidelines.

There is no clay shooting discipline that requires more that 2 shells loaded at any time, if it cycles 2 then most likely it will cycle 3! The only shoots where you are permitted to load 3 are the dedicated SA shoots

21g will be a bit of an ask cycling wise. I suggest you find a local mentor as a 21g shell will NOT ensure a clean kill, 28g needs to be the MINIMUM you need to look at of 7.5's MINIMUM or 6's. If you miss it with the first 2 shots you will only wing it with a third so don't bother. If you are shooting at live quarry you need to ensure it doesn't suffer, any questions call BASC.

Why would you want to try 3x21g at clays? they are not what you will be using in the field..

Final question, do you know how to unload your gun if it has a shell left in it? I have seen it a few times.

Not being negative but throwing a few thoughts into the arena.

Jon.

Most grounds I know have rules specifically stating no more than 2 rounds to be loaded. Ask first to avoid any embarrassment

Tom,
I understand your reasons for wanting to try 3 shells but as an auto shooter myself you NEVER load more than 2! They are the CPSA guidelines.

There is no clay shooting discipline that requires more that 2 shells loaded at any time, if it cycles 2 then most likely it will cycle 3! The only shoots where you are permitted to load 3 are the dedicated S\A shoots

21g will be a bit of an ask cycling wise. I suggest you find a local mentor as a 21g shell will NOT ensure a clean kill, 28g needs to be the MINIMUM you need to look at of 7.5's MINIMUM or 6's. If you miss it with the first 2 shots you will only wing it with a third so don't bother. If you are shooting at live quarry you need to ensure it doesn't suffer, any questions call BASC.

Why would you want to try 3x21g at clays? they are not what you will be using in the field..

Final question, do you know how to unload your gun if it has a shell left in it? I have seen it a few times.

Not being negative but throwing a few thoughts into the arena.

Jon.
Hi Jon,

I wouldn't dream of using 21g on live quarry, like I said it will be 30g 6's minimum, I have shot live quarry before and am looking forward to this coming season.

I don't plan on taking 3 shots at the same pigeon but I wanted to be able to use the gun as I would in the field so that I knew how it worked properly and could get in to a routine with it (i.e loading/unloading bearing in mind there will be 3 shell in the field) so I was safe in the field.

I wanted to try 21g at clays because that is what I use in my o/u but use 30g in the field but the grounds have a 28g limit so didn't want to have to buy special shell just for the semi which I won't use other than in practice with the s/a, theory was if it would cycle 21g then it would cycle 30g and I could get used to the way it handles before using it on live quarry (to ensure I don't wing them with an unfamiliar gun).

CPSA guidelines say that (which i would have had to go searching for) but I asked the question here because I don't recall seeing anywhere at any ground saying no more than 2 shells allowed, and as you say it's a guideline not a rule but I had the common sense to ask here before just doing it, if it turns out it is down to each individual ground then I will ask at each ground I use.

Cheers,

Tom

It's not a guideline , it is a rule. Max 2 cartridges to be loaded at any time.

Correction; max 2 shell's to be loaded for any double

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh ffs, I'm not even gonna get in to this.

Question answered, I'll just ask the ground. Please close this thread.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom just go in at the deepend and take it out on a pigeon day nothing better than actually testing out at the field in the elements!

Just take another gun with you incase it goes bad and you need a back up.

If you want to test it cycles ok with 3 three shells in different grams you would only need to do this with 25 shells of each type to see what the crack is. I guess and I am sure a local club will allow you to do this whilst practising on a stand or two.

Don't see any issues with what you are asking mate! Obviously at a Registered or open sporting event you can't use the three shells but like I said shooting a practise round with permission from the club or ground should not be an issue!

CPSA guidlines are mostly a load of bollox anyway just look at the dress code guidlines you might as well throw them in the bin! Even Ed breaks those rules as well as Big Ben and even I have!!! Nobody follows them up!

People on here getting a bit too big for their boots with all the NOOOOO's crack me up! Take a look around you and and look to the rules before jumping on somebody with a legitimate question!

There is nothing wrong with shooting 21gram at pigons either, man I was shooting a 28 bore with 21grams at pigeons last year put it in the right place and dont take anything on silly and you will kill clean if you know what your doing!

The bollox on here cracks me up!

Glen.

Evening all

Cheers,

Tom
Practise and Non Refgistered with permission from the club after explaining what you want to do! I see no issue! ;-)

Back