Taking Gun to Italy

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odieevans

Just about to go to Essevierre to get a stock made but am receiving conflicting information about taking a gun into Italy.  I am flying into Milan and have the gun booked but I have been informed that the EFP is not enough for Italy.  It was sugessted that i get an invitation from Essevierre but they tell me it doesnt mean anything...  So has anyone been to Italy recently with a shotgun and did they do anything special to get it through customs?

Try a search on this as I'm sure it's been done recently.

I'm sure that is where DogTyred went for his stock. Plenty of good advice on there.  :biggrin:

Very , very nice resulting stock too!! 

I knew I would be relevant one day  :)

I've just been to Essevierre (in June) although I flew into Verona so my experience is based on that.

I went over with nothing more than a SG certificate and an EFP. Italian police didn't even bother looking at the latter and simply checked the gun number against the SGC. They asked why I was bringing a gun into Italy to which I responded to shoot at Lonato and visit Essevierre to have a stock modified (at which point I showed them a piece of paper with the Essevierre address details), to which they just shrugged and said OK. If push comes to shove just ask them to call Essevierre who should be able to confirm you have an appointment with them. They should be well versed on shotguns coming into the airport as the area is gun (shooting and manufacturing) central!!

When you arrive you will need to ask in baggage reclaim where you collect your firearm. At Verona you have to leave the arrivals terminal and go to the police/security office in Departures to collect your gun.

Not sure what its like at Milan but at Verona you are required to pay the airport a 40 euro fee to transport your gun from the check in desk to security and then on to the aircraft itself.

All very simple although it can take some time. Make sure you are at the airport in plenty of time on the way back.

Harry and I had a ball when we went over so hopefully you will as well.

PM me if you need any more info.

DT

Edit: Oops, it seems you already have while I was typing this. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks for the reply DT

I think I will still take it as, like you I have the EFP/Shotgun cert etc, plus a bunch of emails from Essevierre about the appointment.

I have paid FlyBe to carry the gun but they didnt advise of any local charges, but I'll be prepared just in case.

I'll post my results here next week for any future Milan travellers

odie

Odie

few more details on the PM.

Have a great trip and look forward to seeing the results....even if it is on a DT11  :)

DT

The local charge only happens to you when flying out of Verona with someone who does not speak Italian....trust me...i have had this both ways. Take the proof that you have paid for the airline to carry the guns.

Always handy to have details of why you are coming into a country with you. But the legal requirement in Italy is EFP.

Aside. Spain is getting a little chippy now.....so if going there to shoot have the details of the competition (or game estate if hunting) with you. Again this is what seems to be a growing number of 'local rules'.

Last edited:
The local charge only happens to you when flying out of Verona with someone who does not speak Italian....trust me...i have had this both ways. Take the proof that you have paid for the airline to carry the guns.

Always handy to have details of why you are coming into a country with you. But the legal requirement in Italy is EFP.

Aside. Spain is getting a little chippy now.....so if going there to shoot have the details of the competition (or game estate if hunting) with you. Again this is what seems to be a growing number of 'local rules'.
Thanks for the advice Tinker Bell.  I had my Italian colleague speak to Essevierre but they were still reluctant to say "bring your gun" and offered to get a DT11 in for me.   But after everyone's helpful comments I will still take it (along with the proof that I have already paid :) )

Yes take it ...then you get it headed up properly for your gun. I have had stocks and forends done there before and always take the gun. Enjoy.

Latest posts

Back