Stock wax/polish

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonah_116

Hi can anyone recommend a wax or polish for stocks that protect the stock and bring out the figure of the wood over time.

In the past I've used wood silk non silicone beeswax furniture polish, the one with beehive cap on the can. 

Hi can anyone recommend a wax or polish for stocks that protect the stock and bring out the figure of the wood over time.

In the past I've used wood silk non silicone beeswax furniture polish, the one with beehive cap on the can.
​The 'beehive' cap stuff works for me. Cheap, non slippy, non damaging and waterproof. It is also colourless, simple to apply and will remove most scratches. I have just moved house and my mahogany gun cabinet picked up one or two quite bad scratches. One application of polish and the scratches have vanished without trace.

​The 'beehive' cap stuff works for me. Cheap, non slippy, non damaging and waterproof. It is also colourless, simple to apply and will remove most scratches. I have just moved house and my mahogany gun cabinet picked up one or two quite bad scratches. One application of polish and the scratches have vanished without trace.
Might have to get some of that stuff. What's it's proper name?

Edit - "Wood Silk" doh! Just like jonah said.......

NURSE. ........?

Last edited by a moderator:
Er hang on a sec, now we have moved this could be anywhere, just checking the bathroom ? Yep, here we go Phil, I quote :- 'The Original Non Silicone Wood Silk' furniture polish. Yellow topped beehive designed can from Home Bargains at £1.29 a 250ml can that lasts for ages. If you should need to re apply oil at any time, a rub with 0000 grade steel wool first, will allow oils to soak in to the stock.

Any quality paste floor wax will do what you want.  I use Johnsons and the usually the whole gun gets the wipe when the stock does.  Just like the Limeys did in the old days when the quality still had gun rooms.  The floor wax is formulated for abuse and more protective than "special" gun market products.

I've heard good things about paste auto waxes as well but have never tried them.  The tin of Johnsons will prolly last my lifetime. 

Er hang on a sec, now we have moved this could be anywhere, just checking the bathroom ? Yep, here we go Phil, I quote :- 'The Original Non Silicone Wood Silk' furniture polish. Yellow topped beehive designed can from Home Bargains at £1.29 a 250ml can that lasts for ages. If you should need to re apply oil at any time, a rub with 0000 grade steel wool first, will allow oils to soak in to the stock.
Well prompted Keith, how did the house move go?

Might just stick with cheap can of bees wax then.
​To colour the wood and enhance the figure, then Alkanet root oil is the stuff to use. This will make the colours stand out. It is NOT a quick fix and may take several coats with 24 hours between each to obtain the colour that you desire. You will then need a finishing oil over the top of that. After allowing the final coat to dry (about a week) then use the wax polish to prevent water damage and conceal the day to day scratches to the wood.

Latest posts

Back