Steel shot debate.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get some steel and have a play. I've tried Gamebore 24g 8 and 24g 7.5 both through 1/2 & 1/2. Both destroy clays up to 30 yards and still breaking an edge on quartering target back to 60 yards where I ran out of cartridges.

Interesting. Fellow Dutchman here- what forum would that be if I may ask? Personally I shoot M and IM for sporting (the latter not being officially rated for steel, but no adverse effects or any deformity so far). I'm certainly not top-rated however 😎 
and I thought I was the only Dutchman on this site!

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought this was a good paper on the comparison of lead and steel loaded shotgun cartridges. I have only lightly read it over but to be honest it reads, to me anyway, as though a steel shooter is at a significant disadvantage compared to a quality lead shooter.... it is an old paper and things may have change with the technology of steel cartridges.

http://www.fourten.org.uk/steel4.pdf

Use the choke you would normally use ! I’ve shot lots of steel 
This is exactly what I do.

For steel I use any size from 1/4 to full, with a strong preference for 1/2 + 5/8.

Nothing scientific, but breaks are more convincing on longer distances than with 1/4.

On longer distances I also prefer shot size 6, but this isn’t allowed on all grounds.

and I thought I was the only Dutchman on this site!
Ssssssshhh... Before long we'll be in the majority but only if we keep it under wraps 🤫😄

This topic now has me wondering how much difference lead vs. steel would make in shooting skeet. Given that our grounds only allow steel, should I try out either cylinder or a negative choke as opposed to the SK? I also wonder how much that would matter, given the very small (.005) constriction of the SK chokes. Questions, choices, reasons to shoot some more (and possibly to purchase a couple more shiny bits). Happy days!    

For skeet I don’t think you’ll notice a big difference between cylinder and skeet choke. Combination of cylinder or skeet choke and steel #9 is a nice one.

For skeet I don’t think you’ll notice a big difference between cylinder and skeet choke. Combination of cylinder or skeet choke and steel #9 is a nice one.
24 grams of #7 only I'm afraid, as its Olympic skeet for me. Appreciate it though, I can see how that would make for some pretty puffs of former clays. 

My dial gauge doesn't notice any difference either.  Measuring the Beretta and Perazzi screwins I have from different eras and guns it would be problematic to sort them w/out the factory markings.

24 grams of #7 only I'm afraid, as its Olympic skeet for me. Appreciate it though, I can see how that would make for some pretty puffs of former clays. 
That’s the max. smaller is allowed. I know Clever makes the 24 grams #9 for Scandinavian skeet shooters.

In the Dutch excerpt of the rules I read, the translation reads as: "a maximum of 24 grams of No. 7 shot" - leading me to interpret that as only No. 7 shot being allowed. I'll ask around.  Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
In the Dutch excerpt of the rules I read, the translation reads as: "a maximum of 24 grams of No. 7 shot" - leading me to interpret that as only No. 7 shot being allowed. I'll ask around.  Thanks!
How do they get on with it at full blown Olympic trap? 

I would read that as Max 24g and Max size 7 (so 8, 9 etc. are OK, being smaller)

Below are CPSA loads/disciplines, it's interesting to see that Steel shot is covered at the bottom:

Capture.JPG

This is from the Dutch rules (Sorry for Dutch text..):

“9.2 In afwijking van de ISSF- en FITASC-reglementen, mogen in alle genoemde kleiduiven- disciplines alleen patronen met staalhagel gebruikt worden, waarbij per discipline de volgende waarden niet mogen worden overschreden:
- Automatic Trap, Double Trap, Kleiduivenparcours, Kleiduivenparcours Compact, Olympisch Trap en Sporting Trap: maximaal 28 gram en maximaal hagelnummer 5 (tolerantie conform ISSF)
- Olympisch Skeet: maximaal 24 gram en maximaal hagelnummer 7 (tolerantie conform ISSF)
- Sporting Skeet: maximaal 28 gram en maximaal hagelnummer 7 (tolerantie conform ISSF)“

Conclusion is max. 24 grams, max. # 7 => so allowed to use lighter loads and smaller sizes.

How do they get on with it at full blown Olympic trap?
Hardly being used for trap.
Max. 28 grams #5, although #6 will be sufficient 🤫😉

@JDL Cheers mate. Here's to not reading excerpts when the full text says the whole thing.

Will play around with a few different loads. At my level I doubt it'll make much difference, but should be fun.  

@Martinj  I take it that means CPSA allows up to No. 5 steel shot for Olympic skeet? Does anyone shoot No. 5 for Olympic skeet and if so for what benefit over say No. 7?   

Latest posts

Back