station six

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so does that mean as a righty I prob miss behind ?

oh forgot to say I am shooting gun down, I know gun up is probably more consistent but I have a dependable mount and I am a maverick ?
Gun hold is straight out + 3 feet, mount at the top of the window and move the gun the moment you see a flash to shoot both targets with maintained lead. It's a fast shot so trust your instinct. I'd be happy to help if I see you about. In the meantime, shoot skeet gun up. It's a much more consistent technique.

Gun hold is straight out + 3 feet, mount at the top of the window and move the gun the moment you see a flash to shoot both targets with maintained lead. It's a fast shot so trust your instinct. I'd be happy to help if I see you about. In the meantime, shoot skeet gun up. It's a much more consistent technique.
cheers Jan.

for some reason last sat I really struggled on every station I think its a prime example of first few goes I just shot em then I got interested in it and started trying to hard, now I am in a pickle.

look at clay coach on youtube,

here is the first in the series, its a great starting point

cheers Jan.

for some reason last sat I really struggled on every station I think its a prime example of first few goes I just shot em then I got interested in it and started trying to hard, now I am in a pickle.
High 2 and low 6 are the only non base station targets shot without any thought of lead. Trust your instinct with them and above all, get the gun moving quickly to avoid the target passing your barrels and having to chase it down. Also, make sure your gun and eyes are still when you call for the target. It's amazing how many call for a target travelling right to left as their barrels are going the other way!

Make sure too your weight is forward on the leading leg (either with or without a knee bend). That way you keep your shoulders level and not rotate the gun in an upwards arc as you move to the target.

Here we are...

Todd's talking about high 2 but exactly the same applies to low 6. Once you nail it, it's easy.

thanks Jan most informative will give it a go sat.

Only thing I would add to Jan's advice is you need to be much more aware of the height of the gun on LOW 6 than high 2......

Reason being often on the low side of the field the background is scruffy / cluttered (rather than clear sky for high house). You see a lot of shooters hold their gun way too high on the low side of the field. This high hold combined with the background can lead to you actually seeing the blur of the target - you begin you move with the eyes and gun - then you fractionally lose sight of it across the background / goes under the gun and have to re-acquire it.

This all takes time on what is a fast (ish) outgoing target - meaning you make the shot much later than ideal - which will cost you dear on doubles.

Absolute highest you want your gun to be on the low house side (4, 5 and 6) is the MIDDLE of the window the clay emerges from - ideally you want to be at the BOTTOM of the window. It will to begin with feel like you are pointing at the floor with your gun but it gives you the best vision of the target at pick up which is all important.

great stuff, low gun hold, got it BUT how far out from the hole to hold / look on 4 5 6 ??

Hold point is 1/3 of the way out on all but the baseline stations. Eye focal point for me is just off the gun. I let my peripheral vision pick up the target then lock onto it. 

Focal points are very individual though, try different positions and see. For slow incomers it doesn't much matter, for targets like high 2 and low 8 it's critical. The main thing is not to let the target pass your eyes as you'll end up chasing it down and shooting it using swing through and that's not good. 

Last edited by a moderator:
baseline stations ????

this is all really useful stuff, thanks.

so low hold on 456 hold point 1/3 way out

focus point, suck it and see

don't let target pass your eyes

cant wait for sat. :)

Latest posts

Back