Squeeze or Slap the Trigger

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldabt

have been experimenting with both. I'm finding that squeezing starts with the finger resting on the trigger whereas slapping starts with the finger just off the trigger. Coming down in favour of the slap. Find its a better method when timing the shot.

Interested in hearing different viewpoints on this. 

Your description of "Slapping" the trigger will only add a further variable to your timing of the shot. Can you be sure your finger is exactly the same distance from the trigger each time, and also 'jerked' backwards at the same rate? This could lead to the Trigger Freeze syndrome, where you think you have done enough to set the hammer off, but you haven't quite given it the energy it needs. Before you know it, you'll be considering a release trigger, and we all know the consequences of that!

Personally, I think a well set up trigger should be a smooth, progressive and predictable thing. Get used to the feel of it. Know exactly how much pressure to apply, and your timing will be much more consistent. Pulling the trigger at the right moment should be almost a subliminal thing, not something you have to add conscious thought to, and mentally say "Now!" when you want the gun to fire. It can only lead to problems long term.

However, like everything, if it works for you............?

Squeeze for me. I shoot deer and don't want heavy handed trigger slapping to creep from shotgun shooting into my stalking routine. 

Rifles - gentle squeeze to take up first stage travel or (depress the flesh for single stage triggers) 

Shotguns - finger in contact with metal only then pull when taking the shot

A good Slap is only best deployed dealing with silly made up expressions that sound clever but have no basis in fact.  :D

Rifles - gentle squeeze to take up first stage travel or (depress the flesh for single stage triggers) 

Shotguns - finger in contact with metal only then pull when taking the shot

A good Slap is only best deployed dealing with silly made up expressions that sound clever but have no basis in fact.  :D
Slapping the trigger is an American expression which describes the difference between the two methods. Its not made up by me and try Googling the expression for a bit of Shotgun education that might help with knowledge as well as contributing to humility.

No idea I just shoot the ruddy thing.

Slapping the trigger is an American expression which describes the difference between the two methods. Its not made up by me and try Googling the expression for a bit of Shotgun education that might help with knowledge as well as contributing to humility.
with respect please note Mr hamid's smiley.

just saying

I believe that the "slap" technique, more appropriately described as a twitch in this instance is used by some 50m free pistol shooters where the triggers are of the "hair" variety and a twitch is less likely to pull or push the pistol off target.

I would find the trigger pressure too great to use the slap technique but have to admit to "pulling" or "squeezing" too hard and coming off target!

I am perfectly aware that it is an American expression but unfortunately lack of humility is just one of my many flaws  :D , I'm calling it as I find it, slap sounds good but all you need is PULL.

have been experimenting with both. I'm finding that squeezing starts with the finger resting on the trigger whereas slapping starts with the finger just off the trigger. Coming down in favour of the slap. Find its a better method when timing the shot.

Interested in hearing different viewpoints on this. 
The trigger certainly shouldn't be slapped (whatever that is!) and your finger really ought to be resting against the blade when the target is called for. The pull should be a smooth, positive movement back with the pad of the finger rather than the tip or joint. Make sure too that the finger sits horizontally level with the trigger to ensure it's pulled straight back. Too often hands aren't placed correctly around the grip meaning the finger is pulled up towards the face.

The force required to pull the trigger depends, to an extent upon the make, model and trigger mechanism (whether mechanical or inertia) of the gun. In my experience Browning/Miroku's are on the the heavier side, Krieghoff's and Beretta's are neutral and Perazzi's are light. 

Many shooters forget about the importance of a correct trigger pull. It's easy to get hung up on stock fit, barrel length and so on and forget the basics. 

Last edited by a moderator:
agree particularly with last paragraph. Good trig weight with no creep Imo is a major deal

You see, this is where I have the advantage over you lesser gun users !  When you shoot a Miroku (you know, the one with a cr**py trigger), you always know exactly when it will go off. It starts with the take up of the free play, then moves through the creeeeeeeeeeeeep stage and finally onto the bang bit. In fact it is a natural progression from the old smoke poles with the click, fizz, bang, closely followed by the wait until the smoke clears system. All in all this really encourages you to swing and to keep going until well after the bang. Oh, and if it is click, fizz, click then it is time to change the pitted firing pins !

Judging from the learned comments I'm pretty sure I don't know WTF I'm doing with pull triggers so I'm not gonna say anything.

Back