sporting targets Easter challenge

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clynt

Chipper talked me in to this yesterday :( 2 1/2 HR drive !! got there in plenty of time, could not find a pool shoot to have a loosener ? so we were straight in. 9 away for both of us on first 3 stds and if you shoot it you may sympathize ?? set the tone of the shoot really hard to straight any std we were both on for 100 with 5 to do I crashed and burned big time finishing on 80 and chipper produced a respectable 89.

think it's a ground you need to know and shoot regular, some inconsistency in targets, very good tower birds,few eye sight tests, not sure whether I am a lover of shooting out of those in-closed type of stands, tend to find myself (being a short ass) gap shooting, and with a lot of the slower targets that cost me!!! £48 for 120 breaks down to £40 per 100 not sure of prize fund ? did we enjoy it ?? heard this comment on our round " HORRIBLY AWKWARD" and I would go along with that.

I shot it as well yesterday Clynt and what you have said just about sums it up. I shot the worst I have for some time and finished on 75, which for A class would have been an average day out of 100 but pretty poor for 120 birds. The right to left quartering rabbit and incoming l-r looper did me on about stand 5 or 6, plus not doing very well on the towers which I am normally OK on.

Had to console myself with a great all day breakfast on finishing.

Hope I can shoot better tomorrow at the Lincs Sporting Champs at Grimsthorpe.

I shot it today, thought it was really good! Didn't shoot well which is standard behaviour at the moment but enjoyed it. I can see a few people putting in 112-3 by end of the weekend. George was on 104 with mickey rouse, Pietro on 105 and Adam cork 106. Think there should be some good numbers come in over next couple of days. £500 hg £250 runner up and class payouts will be good as they normally are there.

Thought it was a job well done.

For the first time in a long time i gave up, trying to shoot with a head ache and sore neck, not a good start! got to about stand eight and packed up and headed for the car.

May have been a bit more enjoyable if the form was there, seemed to be a few testing targets though, i agree with clynt, seems to be one of those grounds you need to have plenty 'experiance' with.

Hi All,

Total prize fund was just over £3600 and as usual for 'Targets full stand by stand scores for every shooter were on the web at 5pm on Sunday here:

http://www.sportingtargets.co.uk/uploads/Updates/Shoots/Results/Ambassador%20Services%20Easter%20Challenge%202012.html

I shot it myself and thought that it was an enjoyable round but I would agree that it was pretty much relentless with straights very hard to come by for me, this is testified by the fact that winner John Dunne only straighted 6 of the 15 stands but never shot less than a 6.

I have done some basic analysis on the stands taking all 284 shooters into account and there are some "interesting" (yawn) observations to be made:

1. The easiest stand was stand 1 (78 straights average score of 6.2 with median of 7, no blanks, 19 shooters < half)

2. The hardest stand was stand 10 - the first tower stand (7 straights, average =3.8, median = 4 , 20 blanks, 125 < half)

3. After the tower stand the three next hardest shooting stands were the other three tower stands.

In terms of local knowledge given this brief analysis I would suggest that these 4 hard tower stands would all have given "local" shooters an edge (especially as high tower birds are relatively unusual) so I have looked at Beds, Bucs, Northants and Cambs shooters figures against the rest (sad I know but it is a quiet day at work!)

Locals: Sample size = 115

Stand 10: Avg=3.7, Median=3 Straight= 3% Blanks=7%, < half=49.6%, half or more=48.7%

Stand 13: Avg=3.8, Median=4 Straight= 4.1% Blanks=3.5%, < half=42.6%, half or more=55.7%

Stand 14: Avg=3.9 Median=4 Straight= 7.7% Blanks=3.5%, < half=46.1%, half or more=52.2%

Stand 15: Avg=4.5 Median=5 Straight= 5.3% Blanks=0.0%, < half=33.9%, half or more=64.3%

Others: Sample size 169

Stand 10: Avg=4.8 Median=4 Straight= 3.0% Blanks=7.1%, < half=40.2%, half or more=59.8%

Stand 13: Avg=4.5 Median=5 Straight= 4.1% Blanks=3.0%, < half=27.2%, half or more=72.8%

Stand 14: Avg=4.6 Median=5 Straight= 7.7% Blanks=3.0%, < half=30.2%, half or more=69.8%

Stand 15: Avg=4.5 Median=5 Straight= 5.3% Blanks=1.8%, < half=30.8%, half or more=69.2%

I have not done any proper statistical analysis on this because there is an unknown variable of the quality of shooter that will travel some distance to the shoot for the big event, but there would appear not to have been an overall "home" advantage for the 4 hardest stands on the shoot.

Hope you are all still awake :)

Cheers

JT

Thanks for that JT - easy enough to understand.

This is the sort of analysis that I think the CPSA should be able to publish with a click of a button.

I will second that would be nice to see this kind of statistical review of some of the bigger shoots.

I shall now sit back with a slightly smug grin as one of the people that straighted stand 10 :) (small victories)

PS Great shoot by the way

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting statistics Johny. One thing about Sporting Targets they are very fair and prompt with their payouts.

Back