Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine was at 36c when I left at about half two.

I dropped 5 on the grouse butt.  Missed a pair which was annoying as I'd just got on them both the pair before.  Dropped one of each on Stand 6. Rabbit annoyed me, shot in front of two that slowed up suddenly.

Missed the first midi on Stand 2, hit the rest for a 7.

Finished on 74, which is just above my average, so reasonably happy.  Felt that I let a few get away that I shouldn't have done, too many two aways.

I had a mare of a round today  :D :eek:  scored 5 on the first four stands working backwards from 12, then dropped another 4 on the grouse R/L & L/R, saving grace was shooting the harder stands like both platforms straight and only dropped last midi on no. 2. Not sure how I managed to end up on 81 because it felt like mid 70's. 

Missed three of those rabbits ! Must have been in front surely. 

Missed three of those rabbits ! Must have been in front surely. 
I missed two of them and was definitely in front.  The just started to go over the edge of the bank and slowed up.  I should have either waited until they had slowed right down further on or taken them earlier when the speed was more consistent.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Went to EJC to continue my re-Hab from Sunday ? With Joe Hale & Zea, very hot no wind uncomfortably muggy one could add, Joe shot very well his 94 = 2nd with Nick Portlock when we left, Zea 75 a PB and pleased for her ??, old codger bit topsy turvey, made a real ness of some targets that were shot off a platform, dropped a couple of others that made me wince, ended on 71 so it's ? And not the ? That it looked after the dreaded platform, 150 entries, a few not too keen on the course today and if I'm fair the scores before we shot  looked "low" and after we shot we were thinking "why so low"

Went to EJC to continue my re-Hab from Sunday ? With Joe Hale & Zea, very hot no wind uncomfortably muggy one could add, Joe shot very well his 94 = 2nd with Nick Portlock when we left, Zea 75 a PB and pleased for her ??, old codger bit topsy turvey, made a real ness of some targets that were shot off a platform, dropped a couple of others that made me wince, ended on 71 so it's ? And not the ? That it looked after the dreaded platform, 150 entries, a few not too keen on the course today and if I'm fair the scores before we shot  looked "low" and after we shot we were thinking "why so low"
Yeah some surprising scores. First time I have been on the first page .. Not many of those targets needed a whole lot of lead so I assume some of the better shots struggled to not overlead them.

I missed two of them and was definitely in front.  The just started to go over the edge of the bank and slowed up.  I should have either waited until they had slowed right down further on or taken them earlier when the speed was more consistent.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
I pretty much shot at them. I have been up and down with rabbits recently so closed one eye just before pulling the trigger and worked a charm today as hit them all.

I believe they meant it to be a bit harder today, as the last shoot was called a bit soft. The result was a DIFFERENT type of shoot I would say. I didn't love the style, a bit too much edgey stuff for me, but I hit 90, a bit higher than the last shoot.. still an enjoyable course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PKB
I thought the targets were all very shootable, minor criticism would be stand 1 which they tend to make silly easy (pair rising/crossing L/R) and ten of them too  :mellow:  not what I want to shoot having done 112 miles one way. 

The other was one of the middle stands with a black crossing/quartering L/R followed by a very fast edge on  R/L that eventually hit the bank in the far distance, it's not the target that I mind but the fact that being the second bird it meant picking it up while it was still backgrounded against the bushes was hard and the scorer wasn't shy with the button either. I watched a previous HG  drop 5 there - you have to give people a decent chance to see them or they can't shoot them, I'd have set them the other way round because the black lefty bird was much higher and unlikely to have proved difficult to see. 

Reactions: PKB
Agree with Mr Hewland about the edge on stuff. Would further add, that with the summer we have had and the grass already turning brown/yellow, I find it exceedingly hard to pick up edge on, orange clays on such a background. The grouse butt right to left being an example and indeed the fast right to left on the following stand. Mind you I did get a card today from my optician reminding I am over due for eye sight test, ?

Reactions: Zea
Went to EJC to continue my re-Hab from Sunday ? With Joe Hale & Zea, very hot no wind uncomfortably muggy one could add, Joe shot very well his 94 = 2nd with Nick Portlock when we left, Zea 75 a PB and pleased for her ??
Thanks Rich, good day, if a little hot for me, and great company as always ?

I thought the targets were all very shootable, minor criticism would be stand 1 which they tend to make silly easy (pair rising/crossing L/R) and ten of them too  :mellow:
Made trickier with a bit of a dodgy trap... Tried starting on stand 1, but it was throwing a fair few no birds, so decided to move on and came back to it 2 hours later... Only to find it was still having a few issues. Luckily it was sorted by the time I went to shoot though!

Thanks Rich, good day, if a little hot for me, and great company as always ?

Made trickier with a bit of a dodgy trap... Tried starting on stand 1, but it was throwing a fair few no birds, so decided to move on and came back to it 2 hours later... Only to find it was still having a few issues. Luckily it was sorted by the time I went to shoot though!
I went to start at 1 but there was a queue of 12 so moved on to 2. So ended up shooting 1 as my last stand. By then the sun was a lot lower and even though obscured by cloud it was still very bright and right in the obvious hold point which made it a little trickier.

Agree with Mr Hewland about the edge on stuff. Would further add, that with the summer we have had and the grass already turning brown/yellow, I find it exceedingly hard to pick up edge on, orange clays on such a background. The grouse butt right to left being an example and indeed the fast right to left on the following stand. Mind you I did get a card today from my optician reminding I am over due for eye sight test, ?
Also hard to pick out hen pheasants on stand 7. Chap shooting in front did not even notice one walking straight towards him whilst he was shooting all 4 low pairs.

Reactions: Zea
The other was one of the middle stands with a black crossing/quartering L/R followed by a very fast edge on  R/L that eventually hit the bank in the far distance, it's not the target that I mind but the fact that being the second bird it meant picking it up while it was still backgrounded against the bushes was hard and the scorer wasn't shy with the button either. I watched a previous HG  drop 5 there - you have to give people a decent chance to see them or they can't shoot them, I'd have set them the other way round because the black lefty bird was much higher and unlikely to have proved difficult to see. 
Didn't have any trouble seeing the orange target on that stand.  Probably because I know my limitations and wasn't trying to see it and take it early.  Missed the first one and hit the rest by taking it well out in front not far from the bank.

Didn't have any trouble seeing the orange target on that stand.  Probably because I know my limitations and wasn't trying to see it and take it early.  Missed the first one and hit the rest by taking it well out in front not far from the bank.
Are we talking stand 6 ie first one after walking around from the grouse butt? If so I thought that fast r-l was yellow - probably why I only hit 1 .. The one I hit I tracked longer and gave more lead.

Are we talking stand 6 ie first one after walking around from the grouse butt? If so I thought that fast r-l was yellow - probably why I only hit 1 .. The one I hit I tracked longer and gave more lead.
I seem to think it was yellow too, the point is if you're going to throw what can reasonably be called a tough bird, you must make sure there is reasonable opportunity for everyone to see it not just those with particularly keen eye sight or reactions. The sweet kill point for this would have been before it existed the bushy background, it can of course be killed much later as Bebo proved but by then you're relying on a touch of luck with regards to density. 

One fine shot I watched missed the first one late and demolished the rest nice and early  :cool: , I couldn't get on them quick enough (neither could many others) because the bird was too fast and edgy for the background. 

I seem to think it was yellow too, the point is if you're going to throw what can reasonably be called a tough bird, you must make sure there is reasonable opportunity for everyone to see it not just those with particularly keen eye sight or reactions. The sweet kill point for this would have been before it existed the bushy background, it can of course be killed much later as Bebo proved but by then you're relying on a touch of luck with regards to density. 

One fine shot I watched missed the first one late and demolished the rest nice and early  :cool: , I couldn't get on them quick enough (neither could many others) because the bird was too fast and edgy for the background. 
Glad it wasn't just me who struggled with that target as the 6 people that shot before me missed 2-3 between them and made it look easy.

I went to EJC for the first time in ages yesterday - and shot my lowest registered score since ever. 

I'm not overly depressed, I had an important & unexpected call on the way to the shoot which completely distracted me, and I'm still bedding in a new patch on my dominant eye and some gunfit issues... so, it was a nice day out in the sun. 

but by then you're relying on a touch of luck with regards to density. 
I'm generally relying on a touch of luck with most things I shoot at!  I can hit something like that and manage to drop three on Stand 1!

Looked more orange than yellow through my new dark specs, but I may well be wrong.  They like their different coloured clays at EJC, what with the white one on Stand 10 and green ones on Stands 7? and 11.

I'm generally relying on a touch of luck with most things I shoot at!  I can hit something like that and manage to drop three on Stand 1!

Looked more orange than yellow through my new dark specs, but I may well be wrong.  They like their different coloured clays at EJC, what with the white one on Stand 10 and green ones on Stands 7? and 11.
I don't have a particular problem with any colour clay as such although it is true some can under certain circumstances become very difficult to see. I really liked the green/black combo  :) , it forced you into taking the green curler first and fairly fast but didn't make the second shot silly hard if you weren't razor sharp. 

I don't have a particular problem with any colour clay as such although it is true some can under certain circumstances become very difficult to see. I really liked the green/black combo  :) , it forced you into taking the green curler first and fairly fast but didn't make the second shot silly hard if you weren't razor sharp. 
Missed the first two black clays on that stand in front.  Thought about it, realised it was slowing rapidly and starting to be more quartering away by the time I got there and hit the last two.

Any clay colour can be hard to see depending on the conditions.  Popped up to Willow Farm this morning and there were three different targets, all black, that were tricky to see because the sun was reflecting off them against a background of light blue/white cloud.

Missed the first two black clays on that stand in front.  Thought about it, realised it was slowing rapidly and starting to be more quartering away by the time I got there and hit the last two.

Any clay colour can be hard to see depending on the conditions.  Popped up to Willow Farm this morning and there were three different targets, all black, that were tricky to see because the sun was reflecting off them against a background of light blue/white cloud.
I find polarised lenses really help on those black targets that almost turn silver in bright sunlight.

I am proud to say I got Greater London Compak Ladies today at Southdown on 90/100.  It was the Kent, Sussex and Greater London shoot.  I worked hard for the score using the Beretta 682 which I don't like because it doesn't fit me but I made it work and bagged myself a 25/25 on the last layout.  The others were 22, 21 and 22.  I feel happy because Greater London shooter was Adrian Balham on a 95, Henry Arnold on a 96 and scoring 19 on the last layout so I felt good to get that 9 on the front.  I was the highest lady as well.  I also won the ladies in the Sporting on a good course and struggling to keep the 3 plastic combs from wobbling, reapplying tape  as I went.  It was very humid and the tape was stretching.  and coming loose - very irritating.  

Correction - I think Guy was high gun on Compak - 96.  No the High Gun was S Wells on 97.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back