Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well shot Sian.

I shot Horne today. Started well, had a melt down in the middle, then managed to claw back to 72 by straighting the last couple of stands. About my average but left feeling I should have done better.

Some poor colour choice for the clays. Low yellow incomer against yellow stubble was hard to see.

Well shot Sian.

I shot Horne today. Started well, had a melt down in the middle, then managed to claw back to 72 by straighting the last couple of stands. About my average but left feeling I should have done better.

Some poor colour choice for the clays. Low yellow incomer against yellow stubble was hard to see.
Thank you.  They like that yellow one when the stubble is there, so hard to pick up.  Well done xx

I am proud to say I got Greater London Compak Ladies today at Southdown on 90/100.  It was the Kent, Sussex and Greater London shoot.  I worked hard for the score using the Beretta 682 which I don't like because it doesn't fit me but I made it work and bagged myself a 25/25 on the last layout.  The others were 22, 21 and 22.  I feel happy because Greater London shooter was Adrian Balham, Henry Arnold on a 93 and scoring 19 on the last layout so I felt good to get that 9 on the front.  I was the highest lady as well.  I also won the ladies in the Sporting on a good course and struggling to keep the 3 plastic combs from wobbling, reapplying tape  as I went.  It was very humid and the tape was stretching.  and coming loose - very irritating.  

Correction - I think Guy was high gun on Compak - 96.
You won two shoots on the same day and you don't like the gun ?  :D :cool:  Trust me if there's a 9 in front of your score there isn't too much wrong with the fit.  :lol:

This is true, although I would judge a gun best by how I shoot it the fifth time.
Today was no 4 and no 5 shoot.  I did Owls on 8 July and Westfield and Honesberie on 9th July.   77/100 was the 5th shoot and although we say it often, there were definitely misses due to fit.  I find the palm swell too thick and the forend too thick as well.  No doubt shorter stock and Adjustable (3 plastic comb raisers on top of each other was still not my ideal height) would help but I just don't like it. 

You won two shoots on the same day and you don't like the gun ?  :D :cool:  Trust me if there's a 9 in front of your score there isn't too much wrong with the fit.  :lol:
It was far too much like hard work moving the gun and my stance was ugly in the extreme to shoot it.

Today was no 4 and no 5 shoot.  I did Owls on 8 July and Westfield and Honesberie on 9th July.   77/100 was the 5th shoot and although we say it often, there were definitely misses due to fit.  I find the palm swell too thick and the forend too thick as well.  No doubt shorter stock and Adjustable (3 plastic comb raisers on top of each other was still not my ideal height) would help but I just don't like it. 

It was far too much like hard work moving the gun and my stance was ugly in the extreme to shoot it.
When I first got my 32" 682e it took me 2-3 shoots to hit close targets and months to gel with it, once you begin to understand one another it is quite likely that it may go on to be an easier proposition on many a target. 

I agree with Will, you need to shoot a gun a few times to know for sure whether or not it's a step forward and things like palm swells and general minor alterations can be done as and when you're sure they're the right things to do, your advantage is that you're experienced enough to know what particular fine tunes are likely to help. 

It's been a little while since I've posted an update. I shot the ICTSF World Sporting last weekend; the less said about this the better. I've shared my thoughts with the CPSA. 

Just the one shoot this weekend; Honesberie for the Rizzini series. A great set of clays and quite a different set compared to previous shoots. Had a very strong card that would have matched previous PB but completely misread a stand and walked away with 1/8. Been a while since that has happened and it's fair to say it was quite annoying!

Ive also made the trip over to Italy for a new gun. I'm hoping it will land in the U.K. Sept/Oct ready for th winter season so I can get to grips with it ready for next year.

It's been a little while since I've posted an update. I shot the ICTSF World Sporting last weekend; the less said about this the better. I've shared my thoughts with the CPSA. 

Just the one shoot this weekend; Honesberie for the Rizzini series. A great set of clays and quite a different set compared to previous shoots. Had a very strong card that would have matched previous PB but completely misread a stand and walked away with 1/8. Been a while since that has happened and it's fair to say it was quite annoying!

Ive also made the trip over to Italy for a new gun. I'm hoping it will land in the U.K. Sept/Oct ready for th winter season so I can get to grips with it ready for next year.
Just got wed and now a new gun, oh do tell your secret 

Went to Widdington. Started and finished today very tired with stinging eyes. It rained at the shoot and it wasn't very easy. A poor result broke a long run of decent form. Bit of a flat day! Oh well, roll on the next one..

Barrowheath today a good round with at least 4 very tricky stands I shot around my average, 82 .there was two 92s and a 91 in when I left and two of them were A class.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shot Orston today. After a good run of form with a 105 at the Jack Pyke in B class and a few other smaller shoots that went OK, was a bit deflated with a 74 round Orston, was a tough round and I shot to my average, but was very frustrated to drop 7-8 15 to 20 yard bread and butter clays go through not being disciplined, shot in front of nearly all the clays I missed today. Been tweaking my technique lately and today felt like a backwards step at times, shot the 40 to 50 yard stuff really well, then let the soft stuff go.

Shot Widdington as well as only shoot on that was relatively nearby. Was supposed to be dry until midday but walked onto the course at 9.55 and it started raining straight away. Started off fairly well but not able to straight any stands so points ebbed away. Think it was stand 10 that was down as O/R but ref was throwing as simo. I questioned it and he said his sheet said 4 pairs. I had to explain that was just the number of pairs not the type. I then said youd best keep it the same for fairness but warn people into the cage or change the sign. No idea if he did but this is basic stuff.

It was quite busy despite the rain so some 10+ queues at the end. Ended on a 73 which was 9 better than my last visit but nothing to remember.

They also seem to like using black rabbits on dark backgrounds in dark areas of the shoot.

Shot a 2 day 400 bird Compak comeptition - Kral Sumavy in Czech Republic...arrived on friday and shot 100 clays training, 250 (5 layouts with 6 traps - twice on 2 different settings and schemes) on Saturday + 150 (6 layouts with 6 traps) on Sunday.

Still gathering impressions...emotional - manic depression rollercoaster...shot below my average all in all, missed some embarasing stuff, then hit some incredible ones...again and again and again...Great experience with great folks, will be back next year.

Had privilege to observe the winner Florian Schweizer shooting in the squad before ours - flawless precise shooting, sheer pleasure to watch (reminds me of that of Richard Faulds), scored 367 ex 400 - top stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
35 minutes ago, FreeShot said:
Had privilege to observe the winner Florian Schweizer shooting in the squad before ours - flawless precise shooting, sheer pleasure to watch (reminds me of that of Richard Faulds), scored 367 ex 400 - top stuff.

Coached by @EdSolomons no less. 

Shot the Troy Classic FITASC at Westfield on Friday.   Grey, windy and occasionally drizzly day made for a few interesting wind affected moments!

Borrowed a gun as mine is having top-level surgery, so I had my excuses ready - but managed to finish on 108x150 which is my highest FITASC % for a while, some really enjoyable targets and a great squad. Hospitality was excellent, and the organisation was great as usual.  

Top day out. 

Coached by @EdSolomons no less. 

Shot the Troy Classic FITASC at Westfield on Friday.   Grey, windy and occasionally drizzly day made for a few interesting wind affected moments!

Borrowed a gun as mine is having top-level surgery, so I had my excuses ready - but managed to finish on 108x150 which is my highest FITASC % for a while, some really enjoyable targets and a great squad. Hospitality was excellent, and the organisation was great as usual.  

Top day out. 
Nice shooting, Matt! 

The picture you posted of the gun looked lovely. Not tempted to change? ?

5 hour drive to Wales for the Perazzi Grand Prix,Stayed Sat/Sun nights near Aberystwyth.

Although the forecast was pretty crap all through the week it the weather was good on the Sunday we had a light 10 minute shower and alternating blazing sunshine and cloud otherwise.

Some really good targets with a full range of difficulty definitely something for everyone,well organised a few trade stands and a lovely place to shoot with a wide range of targets set in places you very rarely get them.

I especially liked Stand 7 on the green course with a big Battue and a going away dropping in from above shot through a gap in the trees over the river,a very different presentation.

The clay snooker pool shoot was great fun with the black being a monster teal that nobody seemed to hit very often...i did get it once,Probably by luck it seemed the same for most. Apparently they had moved it in about 20 yards from where it was first set!

Unfortunately i shot poorly and despite reasonable expectations just wasn't my day.

Great food and atmosphere people standing around and chatting having a laugh....And no sign of the CPSA they should learn from this.

I believe it was Arnie Palmer 1st Brett Winstanley 2nd and George 3rd 144,141,140

If they have it again next year i will most certainly go back. :smile:

5 hour drive to Wales for the Perazzi Grand Prix,Stayed Sat/Sun nights near Aberystwyth.

Although the forecast was pretty crap all through the week it the weather was good on the Sunday we had a light 10 minute shower and alternating blazing sunshine and cloud otherwise.

Some really good targets with a full range of difficulty definitely something for everyone,well organised a few trade stands and a lovely place to shoot with a wide range of targets set in places you very rarely get them.

I especially liked Stand 7 on the green course with a big Battue and a going away dropping in from above shot through a gap in the trees over the river,a very different presentation.

The clay snooker pool shoot was great fun with the black being a monster teal that nobody seemed to hit very often...i did get it once,Probably by luck it seemed the same for most. Apparently they had moved it in about 20 yards from where it was first set!

Unfortunately i shot poorly and despite reasonable expectations just wasn't my day.

Great food and atmosphere people standing around and chatting having a laugh....And no sign of the CPSA they should learn from this.

I believe it was Arnie Palmer 1st Brett Winstanley 2nd and George 3rd 144,141,140

I made like a panda, Eats shoots and leaves, had a great time tho of the back of my TIN anniversary celebrations. Thoroughly enjoyed the event hope it becomes a regular, and doesnt get remembered as "that shoot where it pissed it down"

We travelled down Friday and stayed with my parents lower down in Powys   about 1.5 hrs away although journey back was a bit quicker, stunning views driving there.  Love going home.  I really enjoyed the shoot and the food.  We were unfortunate on our first course which was green for us to catch the torrential rain and thunder and lightening two stands befor the finish of the course.  It really was a deluge and a little bit scary as we were under trees towards the end.  Absolutely sodden we were.  I either shot well or badly there wasn't really any in between for me.  I got a straight on stand 7 green course.  Completely forgot within a millisecond the full use of the gun on the first rabbit - I think stand 3 and that was despite Tony telling me just as I walked into the stand ?.  A good day.

We travelled down Friday and stayed with my parents lower down in Powys   about 1.5 hrs away although journey back was a bit quicker, stunning views driving there.  Love going home.  I really enjoyed the shoot and the food.  We were unfortunate on our first course which was green for us to catch the torrential rain and thunder and lightening two stands befor the finish of the course.  It really was a deluge and a little bit scary as we were under trees towards the end.  Absolutely sodden we were.  I either shot well or badly there wasn't really any in between for me.  I got a straight on stand 7 green course.  Completely forgot within a millisecond the full use of the gun on the first rabbit - I think stand 3 and that was despite Tony telling me just as I walked into the stand ?.  A good day.
I think our whole squad forgot the full use on the Rabbit despite discussing it beforehand!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back