Sporterised Gun ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Reedy

I keep seeing guns advertised that state they have been " sporterised "

What does this actually mean ??

Have looked on web sites but most seem to state and old gun updated with new stock and the like, is that correct ?

"Sporterised" usually refers to a trap gun that has been modified for sporting clays, often by installing multichokes to a fixed choke gun +/- changes to the stock etc..

This can be a hugely misleading description, it usually refers to a Trap Mirook that's been multi choked, the comb dropped a tad and the pad either replaced or the edges rounded off to aid slick mounting. The trouble is many would want a Trap gun in the first place because they prefer the higher comb so it isn't necessarily a good move to buy one as in effect a regular sporter would be no different.

Have to agree with the comments. The only given is that it's a Fixed choke gun that's been multichoked, as for the rest it's all personnel, I shoot a trap gun at sporting anyway, dropping the comb a tad is misleading because to shoot properly you need to see a nice amount of rib.

Have to agree with the comments. The only given is that it's a Fixed choke gun that's been multichoked, as for the rest it's all personnel, I shoot a trap gun at sporting anyway, dropping the comb a tad is misleading because to shoot properly you need to see a nice amount of rib.
I agree Jake.

I always shot Fitasc sporting with a 30" trap gun and never dropped the comb.....why would one want to.????

Having bought a mirook mk38 recently and before that a Dt10 it doesn't take long before you notice around 80% tend to be in trap mode often leading to sporters demanding a premium i guess sporterised trap models arise from a combination of people wanting a blend between the both or just to increase the availability of pure sporters not forgetting the fact that most trap models are a little to heavily choked for most sporting shooters.

I use a MK 38 grade 3 Trap for sporting , it's fixed choke that's been opened up from 3/4 and Full to 1/2 and 3/4 .

Just love the feel and the way it handles over my previous gun which was a 682 Gold E ... fantastic guns IMO ;)

I use a MK 38 grade 3 Trap for sporting , it's fixed choke that's been opened up from 3/4 and Full to 1/2 and 3/4 .

Just love the feel and the way it handles over my previous gun which was a 682 Gold E ... fantastic guns IMO ;)
Totally agree Rob having borrowed a trap version for a few weeks waiting for mine to arrive like yours the chokes had been opened up, having choosen a 32" mk38 sporter have been a little disappointed with the teague chokes that come as standard they are the heaviest i have ever seen and completely change the feel and handling so ordering a set of muller chokes to improve the balance and hopefully get as near to the feel of a fixed choke as poss P.S the teagues are not the thin wall type..

heavy chokes, that's why people buy MK38 Trap Gun's and get them multi choked by Teague. Different choke tubes ! Aren't the barrel's bellowed out to take the thick chokes on the sporter?

heavy chokes, that's why people buy MK38 Trap Gun's and get them multi choked by Teague. Different choke tubes ! Aren't the barrel's bellowed out to take the thick chokes on the sporter?
I believe they are bellowed, much the same as the Brownings. Thin wall teagues are certainly the dogs danglers as they are constricted to your barrel diameter and dont add weight, only problem is if you want more they have to be specially made to your serial number so no aftermarket Mullers etc. but thats a small price to pay for custom multi chokes measured to your barrels :)

Barrels are a tad bellowed out but the heavy chokes do nothing to improve balance most people teague trap guns beacause they find full choke to much but i doubt anyone would want to make a gun to front heavy with the chokes in my guns balance point is a full inch past the hinge pin and in engineering terms that is way to far.

Little tip I found with mine after the danuser came off and the new stock went on, cut a cartridge through the plaswad, electrical tape round it to hold the shotcup and shot in, gives you a 1oz cylinder that fits in the stock hole perfect :D Ive got 3 in mine to get it balanced how I like and they just fit snug with the butt pad ;)

Little tip I found with mine after the danuser came off and the new stock went on, cut a cartridge through the plaswad, electrical tape round it to hold the shotcup and shot in, gives you a 1oz cylinder that fits in the stock hole perfect :D Ive got 3 in mine to get it balanced how I like and they just fit snug with the butt pad ;)
have done this with my silver pig an wow what a difference it makes!

Sounds like a good option Andy as i prefer a gun to be on the heavy side as long as the balance is right ^_^

Back