South West Shooting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K80 TCG

The inter counties events for Sportrap and Sporting are going to change. It appears Podimore will be now more and the team events have been cancelled. 

New venues will be confirmed soon.

The FITASC inter counties is still at PURBECK on the 20th September 

Why would an existing ground close because the owner is emigrating? It should just be sold?

Last edited by a moderator:
they have had issues over the years with noise and that...been going downhill since the ground owner was accused of assaulting someone and  threatening someone else with a shotgun!

Southern Counties, then its replacement Dorset Shooting School and now Podimore!  If Purbeck ever goes I will have to move!

they have had issues over the years with noise and that...been going downhill since the ground owner was accused of assaulting someone and  threatening someone else with a shotgun!
Kevin Newton is the second owner since Paul Bennett went the noise issues only came after this.

Oh well! I'll have to take up Trap then.

Hang on! There's nowhere to shoot that (properly) either within 100 miles!

OK. Skeet then. Nope, no Skeet here!

Good job there's a bit of Game Shooting going on. Trouble is that's only effectively 3 months of the year.

There's always Seagulls. Plenty of Seagulls down here! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm????   :angel:

Kevin Newton is the second owner since Paul Bennett went the noise issues only came after this.
you live locally and are privy to the general feeling of the public,parish council and so forth? or are you just going on when it was made an official complaint?

As far as I know Paul Bennett did not have any noise problems having just talked with him two hours ago.

Sounds like Mr Newton is abandoning a sinking ship! Not blaming him if rumours are true and the ground is going to have noise restrictions put on it, at the end of the  day we all have to earn a living I guess. That's Wyle, southern counties, Dorset shooting school,newhnam park all gone or going in my area,if someone has a good bit of ground in the Devon/Somerset area somewhere between the M5 and 303 with no noise problems they could make a killing.  

Oh well! I'll have to take up Trap then.

Hang on! There's nowhere to shoot that (properly) either within 100 miles!

OK. Skeet then. Nope, no Skeet here!

Good job there's a bit of Game Shooting going on. Trouble is that's only effectively 3 months of the year.

There's always Seagulls. Plenty of Seagulls down here! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm????   :angel:
Ian, I've got plenty of bloody gulls too mate! I now have to travel up to cheddar to shoot OT!!

Sounds like the noise restrictions have already killed this ground? If there was any chance of passing it on as a going concern they wouldn't be selling all the traps?

As far as making a killing if you found a suitable piece of land, I don't think that would be the only answer. You only have to attend some of the registered Sporting Shoots down this way, and then attend one in the "Golden Triangle" just to the West of London to know that there just isn't the patronage paid to the shoots in the South West. I shot Podimore fairly recently and went from stand to stand with no more than one or two infront of me (if any) all the way around. I've heard the same type of shoot in more 'affluent' areas have 20 deep on each stand, and frequently attract 200+ entries to a normal Sunday shoot.

You can't deny, there's a sense of apathy in the South West, which probably accounts for why it's in the state it is in?

I'm as guilty of this as I "just want to shoot" too! I've run small club shoots in the past, and it really is nothing but hassle for no reward, and the Red Tape and Hoops you have to jump through just to get going is astounding!

I think you need a bit of a reality check. People travel from all over the country into the so called golden triangle. Martin Myers only last week 4 hours to Southdown. The quality of the shooting, pricing, prize money, facilities are second to non. You know what your going to get.

A sh*tty shed in a field charging £40.00 a round ain't going to cut it. Times are changing this sport needs professionalism and top facilities to flourish which creates income to fight our causes. It's called moving with the times. You have to support your grounds with membership and attend the shoots. It's not all one way traffic.

Go to Sporting Targets see how it's done properly, that's 1.5hrs for me and worth the drive.

All these top grounds promote our sport ( go on Twitter and see how it's done ) and are a pleasure to shoot.

Sorry you have non of these down there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you need a bit of a reality check. People travel from all over the country into the so called golden triangle. Martin Myers only last week 4 hours to Southdown. The quality of the shooting, pricing, prize money, facilities are second to non. You know what your going to get.

A sh*tty shed in a field charging £40.00 a round ain't going to cut it. Times are changing this sport needs professionalism and top facilities to flourish which creates income to fight our causes. It's called moving with the times. You have to support your grounds with membership and attend the shoots. It's not all one way traffic.

Go to Sporting Targets see how it's done properly, that's 1.5hrs for me and worth the drive.

All these top grounds promote our sport ( go on Twitter and see how it's done ) and are a pleasure to shoot.

Well mate, we still have one decent ground, Brook Bank! Probably the last ground in the south west with just about every major discipline.

As far as I know Paul Bennett did not have any noise problems having just talked with him two hours ago.
just because you you don't hear about it doesn't mean its not there....purbeck had the same issue,soon as one complained officially others came crawling out of the woodwork although they had said nothing for 20 years!

You could put the most plush club house, with the best catering facilities, beautiful lawns, clean and tidy car parks, topography to die for and targets to challenge everybody at every level, in deepest Devon, and you'd still get the same old faces turn up to a regular shoot. Take Newnham Park for example. They may not have had a Club House, shop and restaurant like E.J.Churchills, but they did have some of the best ground for setting a Sporting course in the Country, good access, ample car parking, fantastic targets and a pefectly acceptable catering facility, but it did not save them from shutting it down as it was not cost effective. Granted they did see the "great and the good" when they got the National selection shoots, but that was the only occasions they dragged people away from their doorsteps when they were used to having the choice of 10 decent shoots within an hours drive from them.

I'm sorry Rosso, but people come to Devon for a holiday, but us unfortunate souls (in some ways, but so lucky in others) who are here permanently have now run out of options unless we want to travel up to that Golden Triangle with which you are so blessed. For me that would mean an overnight stay and I'm sure nobody would say they shoot their best after a 5 hour drive, knowing they are facing another 5 hours to get home. I know some do this, there's always exceptions, but the ordinary man in the street does not want this, any more than you do. When was the last time you and your buddies came to the West Country? (And I'm not talking about that bit that pretends to be West Country that is just off the M4) there are some shoots left here you know. After all, we're not all self made millionaires/self employed/company directors/retired or just the idle rich with plenty of time and money on our hands.

I would seriously love to have the choices and opportunities you have to shoot. It would mean I would shoot more often and maybe even improve a little because of this. Currently 1000 cartridges will last me over a year and there is very little point in being a CPSA member, as recording so few registered scores negates the benefits of membership. Thankfully we have plenty of one off straw balers and village charity shoots during the summer, or I would probably not shoot at all until the game season. The drawback to this is it is nowhere near the quality of the "proper" shoots that you may enjoy.

I do enjoy my occasional trips out to shoot on a special occasion shoot, that's why I'm particularly gutted at not being able to shoot the Shootclay Cup this year, and who knows, the icing on the cake might have been to meet you?? (And that Damn Parrot!!)   :smile:

Latest posts

Back