Soft 28g cartridge

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ian,

CompX are the softest 28g out there.

Superfast 27gm are a little bit harsher (so I'm told - yet to try mine).

I had to try to reduce felt recoil after the back surgery and moved to CompX and couldn't believe the difference.  was like shooting a 21gm.

As for ISIS pads - they will reduce muzzle flip and felt recoil.  Or go for the full reducer - just having mine fitted.

Last edited by a moderator:
With out doubt Hull CompX.

Superfast are punchier.

Sure it is not your beard getting trapped on the comb?

With out doubt Hull CompX.

Superfast are punchier.

Sure it is not your beard getting trapped on the comb?
Oh so you reckon comp X are softer ?

Aint got a beard anymore so that's not the cause :)

edit

Only 2% antimony so are they good enough for serious competition use ?

IPS.

Dude, if you have neck issues and you think that reducing your recoil is a good way of hedging your bets; I think you really should be looking beyond the cartridge.

AFAIK Nil Griffe / Evocomp etc have no recoil reduction built in.  

I strongly urge you to consider an ISIS2 recoil reducer, even if you buy a spare stock to have it fitted to...will be worth every penny.

You could always look at a PFS as well, but I try not to look at them and the recoil dissipation is inferior to the ISIS2. 

Perhaps even just talk to Dave Izzard.  He is certainly an expert on recoil and is also a Trap shooter who has had serious issues, hence the development of the recoil reducer.  So he would certainly be able to give you some useful advice, even if his product was no use for you.

And muzzle flip can often be due to a pitch/fit issue, compounded by recoil.

IPS

Just ordered an ISIS Green pad for Harry's 682. I'll let you what the effect is when fitted.

Would have liked to put an Xpad on but would have meant hacking off a bit of the stock.

The latter option seems to be inevitable for my MX8 as it only has a thin Perazzi pad on it currently so any increase in pad size is gonna mean breaking out the saw!!

Speak to Dave, he is a really good bloke and an engineer to boot!

DT

Thanks skeet / DT, I have never really suffered from recoil or been aware of it. This is really a damage limitation exercise or pro active exercise so that it does not become a problem in the future.

edit

I think its the head position that I need to address rather than the recoil itself but may as well deal with that as well.

Haven't slept properly for 3 days due to neck pain, now have referal pain in shoulders and a banging headache. Feel like cack.

Moan completed.

IPS, sounds like you are experiencing a very similar problem to my own. Rugby and Skiing injuries combined with a couple of car crashes have left me with disc/ nerve problems. I started experiencing it severely back in September and its cost me a fortune searching for the perfect gun/ cartridge solution. Ive settled on a gun/ isis combo that allows a higher head position with lower recoil, and have been shooting CompX 28g. In short my issue has subsided to the extent that I ventured back to "Harder" cartridges last weekend without any issues. However Im going to stick with softer shells for the immediate future, just in case.

Its not mate, i had come to the conclusion that if I could not find a solution that I would have to give up clay shooting. Good luck in finding the perfect combo.

Hi IPS

I was using 24's for everything but now use Hull DTL 300's 28g as I think they are the smoothest out there.

SPR

Funny you should say that, a few people have mentioned DTL 300 as being very smooth. Not particularily cheap though and they do lack a certain credibility due to the DTL tag :)

SPR

Funny you should say that, a few people have mentioned DTL 300 as being very smooth. Not particularily cheap though and they do lack a certain credibility due to the DTL tag :)
Oh here we go.......badge snobbery on the trap line!!!!!  Don't forget mate, DTL is where we both started all those years ago........and I'm not even brave enough to have a go at it these days! I seem to remember someone else mentioning DTL300 some time back, in fact it may have been our resident trap and cartridge guru, AKA  Fred!!  Just had a look at the Hull website and those Pro One look OK on paper (1500fps) shows recoil as medium. Rod Gould got UT & OT UK championships in 2013 on the things too! :biggrin:

Yes indeed our friends favourite 28g load.

If they were called ABT100 or OTR100 I might have given them a go :)

Couldn't get hold of the superfast things no one had stock. Power blue were ok super comp were the same but more recoil and £50 per k more. So prob stick on fiocchi.

Funnily enough - I use Clever Mirage Pro Extra 24g for OT and the DTL 300 28g for FITASC and ESP (much softer for me than Fiocchi)

Funny you should say that Les, green is one of my favourite colours BUT I aint putting anything green on my eell it would sacrillage.

Funny you should say that Les, green is one of my favourite colours BUT I aint putting anything green on my eell it would sacrillage.
Sacrillage or not if it cures your neck pane it has to be worth it.

The nice man at Recoil Systems even supplies a black marker pen with ever pad so you can make it black. Simplies!

Nothing ventured, nothing gained !

DT

Latest posts

Back