Snap Caps

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will come out with a somewhat bold statement here, snap caps are for the 1920s and tossers :)

complete waste of time and asking for a hole in the floor/room where the gun is stored if someone isnt paying attention. No need for the nowadays, put them at the back of the shelf with the chocolate tea pot and cock flavoured lollypops.

I will come out with a somewhat bold statement here, snap caps are for the 1920s and tossers :)

complete waste of time and asking for a hole in the floor/room where the gun is stored if someone isnt paying attention. No need for the nowadays, put them at the back of the shelf with the chocolate tea pot and cock flavoured lollypops.
Just about sums it up for me too. :D

I am not too sure I have expressed my opinions on snap caps before :ph34r: but this sums it for me as well.

Now if I said that the forum police would be out! However Ed said it so hang I will get my arse kissing lips out!!! :D :D :D :D

Said it time a go I have seen these first hand go badly wrong on a game day. A gun shoots his car boot out not once but twice! Lack of concentration and put to live shells in instead of the snaps!!! Ooooops! Early home time for him!!!

This is a wind up by Chiefy isn't it?

I like snap caps,they make me laugh.

They make me laugh when the the user forgets that they are in the gun.They open it and the snap caps smack them in the teeth.

Vic.

Ed....thanks for summing it up for me toooooo in just my way :) ..... .

(saves me getting a bollocking from anyone)

P M S L

Ed ....pm about where you get those choco teapots ......I have a good non-shooting friend who is interested ....... P M S L

Last edited:
It's always 'for a friend'..

On a less stomach churning note and back to the thread.. I like Tim Greenwoods idea of (on a broken down gun, holding the action) using a penny to cover the pin when you fire it. Takes the strain, no snap cap, reassemble and the springs are unloaded for storage. Assuming that's why you wanted the snap caps..

Ahh, that's why everyone at the ground looks at me like I've just come form Mars everytime I take out/put back in snap caps that I've got given for free by the gunsmith. :eek:

I've been told it doesn't matter for semi's, but it does for O/U. Better safe than sorry IMO :D

Thing is... Fire off on a snap cap, and your ejector springs are left under tension!

Totally unnecessary and a waste of a fiver, use as a paper weight!

For those of you who use snap caps, could I ask a question please?

DO YOU JACK YOUR CAR UP, ALL FOUR WHEELS OFF THE GROUND, WHEN YOU PARK IT?

As a footnote to Clever's comment, it is far better form on a shoot to do as we do here in Shropshire.

Use a Sovereign or Doubloon to hold over the firing pin.

Look what happens when you ask stupid questions Chief!!! Now we all know Ed has a shelf in his house full of snap caps, chocolate tea pots and cock flavoured lollipops...........the local kIds must love you at Halloween,

"Trick or treat"

"Here's a lolly from uncle Ed"

"Hmm, cheese lolly pops, yum yum......."

Last edited by a moderator:
Only kidding Ed, on a more serious note, I think it was a bit harsh of you compairing snap caps to chocolate tea pots!!! I meen, come on, at least with a chocolate tea pot you could eat it or even melt it down to make chocolate coins to buy a mid rib bead with.........

It really would be good if posters checked previous threads before asking their question. Whether or not to use snap caps must have been asked half a dozen times in the last year on this and other websites.

Only kidding Ed, on a more serious note, I think it was a bit harsh of you compairing snap caps to chocolate tea pots!!! I meen, come on, at least with a chocolate tea pot you could eat it or even melt it down to make chocolate coins to buy a mid rib bead with.........

I can put it in my piggy bank as I dont have any beads on my gun!

Hark at you, perhaps a wee debate on the subject is not for you so no need for negative comments,there are lots of new members in the last month that are keen to learn.

Now for some more stone throwing and to see where the ripples go.

It's always 'for a friend'..

On a less stomach churning note and back to the thread.. I like Tim Greenwoods idea of (on a broken down gun, holding the action) using a penny to cover the pin when you fire it. Takes the strain, no snap cap, reassemble and the springs are unloaded for storage. Assuming that's why you wanted the snap caps..
Easier way to do this at home is use caps,fire them off,take forend off lower barrels but not remove from action,take snap caps out,return barrels to closed and refit forend, now you have an empty gun with the firing pins in the spent position.

Thing is... Fire off on a snap cap, and your ejector springs are left under tension!

Totally unnecessary and a waste of a fiver, use as a paper weight!
Storing your gun closed is the same as having fired a live shell or snap cap as the ejector spring is under tension.

And Happy Friday to you all.

Vic is the winner so far, seen that so many times.

Chiefy

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back