Skeet Gun,

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You’re right. Skeet’s an easy discipline in many respects. You know where the target’s coming from and where it’s going. You know how fast it’s travelling and where it should be broken. In fact, if you’re shooting it properly you’re only dealing with one side of the skeet field at a time.

Fundamentally, if you break skeet down to its component parts you can learn a methodical and repetitive technique to shooting the targets. It’s then just a case of executing perform form and managing nerves.
Yes, may be… Until it has to be done under windy conditions. Then you will be able to determine which shooter actually shoots it using repetitive tricks and which ones are performing based on technical skills. 

I am not sure what I'm looking at there. If those are the results from a single tournament that is hella impressive. It does appear to be scores over a five month period, so if it's shooters logging their six best results for a league form competition, less so. Mind you in the Olympics this year none of the competitors shot 125/125 in the qualifications- although there were very impressive results in the shoot off. See:   https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/resOG2020-/pdf/OG2020-/SHO/OG2020-_SHO_C74E_SHOMSK125-------------------------.pdf

I do grant that shooters only missing one, two, or three out of 125 birds is still grounds for the argument that it's an 'easy discipline' but I don't think that the majority of shooters put in the amount of training (or have the same innate abilities) as those who qualify for the Olympics. By reference, the scores in Trap were (marginally) higher in the qualifications. https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/resOG2020-/pdf/OG2020-/SHO/OG2020-_SHO_C74E_SHOMTR125-------------------------.pdf

Must be even easier then :)

On a personal level I find olympic skeet (and trap) quite challenging, which is why it is and stays fun to shoot. It will be a while before I get to "a few 1.000 rounds of 25" and likely it will be even more challenging by then for matters related to aging.      

Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll give it a go with my trap gun and see what happens.

On a personal level I find olympic skeet (and trap) quite challenging, which is why it is and stays fun to shoot. It will be a while before I get to "a few 1.000 rounds of 25" and likely it will be even more challenging by then for matters related to aging.      
This is so true, i gave up DTL when I stoped being happy to hit them and just got upset when I missed. So I've moved onto OT, to start with happy to hit anything, now as long as im in the high teens, low 20's im a happy chappy.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll give it a go with my trap gun and see what happens.
Just open the chokes and you’ll be fine. For years I’ve shot skeet with an unmodified 32” K80 trap gun weighing almost 10lbs. It’s worked well enough for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back