Shotgun shot Trajectory

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nimbusgb

I have been having difficulty visualizing just where the shot group is going especially on longer shots and have apparently been missing the longer ones over the top. After a lot of searching I finally found this chartwhich clears some of the fog from my overly analytic brain.

Suffice to say I have been over estimating the drop of my shot by a long way!

shotgun_statistics.pdf 

Attachments

• shotgun_statistics.pdf
    99.7 KB · Views: 109
Last edited by a moderator:
Please don't worry your head with all that stuff! Just concentrate on hitting things, there are far too many variables to take into account. If you are missing over the top it could mean that your gun does not fit, your swing is too fast for the target, if it's a rising one, the gun is not mounted correctly, you lift your head. Go and see a good coach and get it sorted. How do you know you missed over the top? It's one thing knowing where you missed, it's another story when it comes to getting the problem rectified!

How do I know I missed over the top? well I sat there with 2 boxes of shells on one particular stand and filled the sky with holes just about everywhere else but lower down! :) :) :)

Going to have a word with one of the destructors at the ground today to see if we can fix it!

How do I know I missed over the top? well I sat there with 2 boxes of shells and filled the sky with holes just about everywhere else but lower down! :) :) :)

Going to have a word with one of the destructors at the ground today to see if we can fix it!
Current stratgegy may not be conducive to to hitting very much, yes best see an instructor. Anyway it's all very well knowing where you miss, or thinking you know where you miss, knowing why you miss and getting it sorted out is the priority.   :biggrin:

A good coach will be able to advise where you are missing... as others have said, if you are over it could be a number of reasons... but one way of DEFINITELY missing over the top, is to AIM over the top. Don't do that. 

Certainly at the range you are likely to be shooting, shot drop is something you should expel from your mind.  

On posting : what Les said as well. 

Just spent an hour or so at West Kent with a new strategy in my head. Had promised my lad and a mate a round today. Pretty much doubled my hit rates! High ones off the tower, driven ones and most satisfying of all a low, very fast one going away with perhaps 1 second to see and smoke it before it slammed into the banking. Very chuffed with that lot!

Took a video camera along for a lark, pity I didn't get the fast ones but got a few others. Will stick it up on youtube at some point

Interesting subject, I couldn't get the link to work. People talk of Guns shooting high, but it's probably more relevant to talk about what distance is the crossover point, in other words where the line of sight and the line from the barrel meet, (where the pattern is 50/50%) after this point the shot is going higher than the line of sight until gravity takes over which is likely to be well out.

http://www.tirovesti.co.uk/

Nimbusgb ,I am intrigued to learn how, as a new shooter, you know where you are missing the clay?

Sorry, see post #3, slightly tounge-in-cheek!

To be honest the only place I CAN be missing is over the top as I have put the lead everywhere else on that particular clay! :) :)

ps: Also shooting a round with a more experienced shooter who tends to agree.

Most coaches would suggest that it is not so much where you miss as why that is important. I would always recommend a beginner to start with some coaching so that their shooting career gets off to a good start . Once bad habits are picked up they can be difficult to change.

Just as a matter of interest, we took the old wwGreener single barrelled gun along to put some rounds through it. Once we discovered that the bead needed to be about 4 barrel diameters below the target we started to hit a few! :)

And some video of our session 

Go and have a lesson with a good coach, going by your clip, (it may just be camera angle) your hold points are too close to the trap,(just my imidit thought) even a couple of hours with a good coach will greatly enhance your enjoyment of the sport!!!

Always wary of sites that don't touch on the cost of their products! :) :)
You don't need to be wary of Tru Shot, it's owned by Dennis Stepney, one of the best gunsmiths in the country, he's done various jobs for me and others here on the forum, he's a bloody good shot too!  I've seen Tru Shot and what it does, I think it's mainly aimed at instructors/coaches and shooting schools, a good bit of kit!  :eek:k:

+1 - amazing kit.... I spent  a day with it, and it is without doubt the best of its type on the market. 

It is pricey though.

Find a coach and get him to give you a good plan of working out hold points (as James said).

That will drastically improve your success, and make it a lot easier for you...

And they aren't 100% accurate 100% of the time.....................

This is http://tru-shot.com/
It's also totally useless to a beginner (probably experienced shots too)...all it tells you is where you fired the shot in relation to were the clay is at the time you fired the shot, might give you an idea where you missed, tells you nothing about why you missed!!!

Latest posts

Back