shot size

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8's for 70% of stuff for me.  Anything with a face and within 40yds they break.  7's for long edgy stuff, 80yd incomers (try Orston yesterday), and wabbits.

2 x 3/4 chokes and 8's with my Fiocchi F3 Blues 8's give great patterns but a pocket full of Official traps 7's give confidence on longer stuff.

fixed 1/4 & 1/2

24g 8s

dtl - skeet - esp

doable or not doable ??

Maximum shot size is English 6's 2.6mm dia or 1/10 of an inch .

Difference between 8's and 7's in an ounce is 110 pellets so if you are 'on em' use 7s and smash them up or if they are close-ish and your struggling use 8s to fill out the pattern.

I think it is far better to concentrate on the shooting bit rather than fill your head with useless data.

I like useless data and statistics say 87.9% of the population like them too

just saying

fixed 1/4 & 1/2

24g 8s

dtl - skeet - esp

doable or not doable ??
Doable by all means - you can always increase your chances by choosing proper shells tho - fast soft lead (2% Sb) ones for skeet,  slower premium hard (5% Sb) ones for trap and a mix of them for esp.

Last edited by a moderator:
its a brilliant skeet gun now pal, have lengthened it by half inch fits much better now, comes up lovely

85 yard Battue at Fennes - stated on the cage, not a guess - breaks with 8's. Thats what i use around 80% of the time the rest is 7.5s.

In the end its what you like to use and sod what everyone else thinks

85 yard Battue at Fennes - stated on the cage, not a guess - breaks with 8's. Thats what i use around 80% of the time the rest is 7.5s.

battue's are fragile and break if touched at all...try a rabbit clay thrown as a vertical teal or even a standard trowen as a vertical teal at it's peak when it's hardly moving!!! 

I watched the YouTube footage of the super final at Churchills in 2014...lots of times in the commentary they remark how the clay wasn't broken, but you could here the shot hit it. George isn't shooting White Gold 8's at those f***ers...

p.s. That's an example of Will's beloved Churchills 'getting the difficulty wrong'...

Anything big teal / crow / big battue

hull parcours 6 1/2 nothing on the planet these won't kill 

everything else been shooting a lot of 

8 s either soverign for sporting or parcours for fitasc in the last 9 months 

Also yesterday picked up some hull 

pro piston for sneaky close stuff 

close wabbits / driven etc 

really looking forward to giving these 

a go !! 

I have tended to stick with Hull Sov Fibre 8's in 28g for sporting - most grounds I shoot are fibre only - I have got some Simulated days planned and might acquire something a bit lighter to ease the pressure on the shoulder as they can get a bit frenetic but have not had any issues at all with the Soveriegns - some folk have said they find they kick more than some alternatives but that hasn't been my experience 

I went fixed choke when I had the current guns specified to remove one more element I might otherwise waste nervous energy over (my previous Perazzi was teagued) - not sure I want to start swapping between shot sizes between stands but then again I'm not doing this clay breaking stuff very seriously and I'm relatively new to it all 

Anything big teal / crow / big battue

hull parcours 6 1/2 nothing on the planet these won't kill 

everything else been shooting a lot of 

8 s either soverign for sporting or parcours for fitasc in the last 9 months 

Also yesterday picked up some hull 

pro piston for sneaky close stuff 

close wabbits / driven etc 

really looking forward to giving these 

a go !! 
I keep a box of Clever Mirage Bior wad for real close stuff. Supertarget 8's for most clays and RVS Magic 3 7.5's for long/edgy

PP said:
I agree, 24g no 8 work well for me on that Battue, it doesn't look like it is 85 yards though.. 

Sadly this Stand has been changed, it is now quartering towards which is annoying, apparently it was 'too hard' 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back