Shooting without a licence

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graz

Hi, i have just started shooting and my girlfriend has joined me on the two lessons I have had to date. The club that I shoot at wil allow her to shoot my gun at the club whilst I am there.

Is this club in the minority? We would like to take the gun away for weekends and do some clay shooting around the Country but it seems to me that most clay shoots (practise) will not allow her to shoot unless she has her own SGC.

Most shooting grounds have what is known as a section 11 issued by the Police. It basically allows a non certificate holder to shoot, purchase and possess ammunition etc etc. If you are a certificate holder, you should be allowed to take the aforementioned Lady shooting under your supervision. However should a club not have a section 11, sadly she would not be allowed to have a go. Hope that helps?

As long as the ground has a section 11(6) exemption certificate she's good to go :)

Section 11(6) of the Firearms Act 1968 states:

"A person may, without holding a shotgun certificate, use a shotgun at a time and place approved for shooting at artificial targets by the Chief Officer of police for the area in which that place is situated."

• The organiser of any clay pigeon shoot at which persons who do not hold a shotgun certificate wish to shoot must apply to the Chief Officer for the area in which the shoot is to take place for an exemption under section 11(6) of the 1968 Firearms Act.
  • This allows non-certificate holders to possess shot guns at a time and place approved by the Chief Officer for shooting at artificial targets which normally, though not exclusively, includes clay pigeons.
  • This exemption applies ONLY to shotguns falling under Section 2 of the Firearms Act 1968 (as amended).
  • Any person, under 15 years of age, using a shotgun must be supervised by an adult (over 21yrs). (Firearms Act 1968, Section 22(3)).
  • Prohibited persons as defined by Section 21 of the Firearms Act 1968 (If known) must not be permitted to be in possession of guns or ammunition.
  • The owners of any shotguns used on the site are reminded that the security of those guns remains solely their responsibility.

Hi, i have just started shooting and my girlfriend has joined me on the two lessons I have had to date. The club that I shoot at wil allow her to shoot my gun at the club whilst I am there.

Is this club in the minority? We would like to take the gun away for weekends and do some clay shooting around the Country but it seems to me that most clay shoots (practise) will not allow her to shoot unless she has her own SGC.
Not exactly a weekend away, but have you tried JJ;s CSC near Bluewater? If you fancy trying different grounds, you could certainly do worse. They have a Section 11. If you know where you want to go (area wise) then just call the local ground and see what they say.

Some grounds have a local policy that an unlicensed shooter must be accompanied by one of their own staff. I believe this applies at Ian Coley's; it certainly did back when it was called Chatcombe SS.

Thanks all for the advice. I'll ensure I call ahead and check re the Section 11 before we go anwhere. I'll also check out JJ's, thanks.

Take the time to ring the grounds you would like to visi in advance would be my call, lots of grounds and schools would be glad to see you some however do have restrictions including what can be considered "tuition" . Also be vigilant with gun security in car / hotel.

Thanks all for the advice. I'll ensure I call ahead and check re the Section 11 before we go anwhere. I'll also check out JJ's, thanks.
JJ's is great. Competition day is a Sunday and C class is for trophies. There are also Ladys Classes etc, so you can take the Mrs and win a trophy!

Decent trophys too. I won C class with a 72 ex 84 and got a decent trophy about 14 inches high...plastic but nice. Came 2nd the other week, smaller but still nice trophy...but the first place one was a big Silver cup, metal too and was getting on for 2ft tall! I'm almost glad I didn't win it as I would have nowhere to put the thing, unless I used it as a brolly stand!

Great ground, really good,...with some tricky targets. If you bingle JJ's CSC you will find their website.

JJ's is great. Competition day is a Sunday and C class is for trophies. There are also Ladys Classes etc, so you can take the Mrs and win a trophy!

Decent trophys too. I won C class with a 72 ex 84 and got a decent trophy about 14 inches high...plastic but nice. Came 2nd the other week, smaller but still nice trophy...but the first place one was a big Silver cup, metal too and was getting on for 2ft tall! I'm almost glad I didn't win it as I would have nowhere to put the thing, unless I used it as a brolly stand!

Great ground, really good,...with some tricky targets. If you bingle JJ's CSC you will find their website.
Thanks Skeet. We'll pop there in a couple of weeks. I shot again on Sat but only got a chance to have 30 clays but hit 22 of them. Concious that I think Fennes sporting set up might be easier than most.

Just looked on JJ's website and it looks good - does anyone know the clay prices for practise and how much are the Sunday comps?

Just looked on JJ's website and it looks good - does anyone know the clay prices for practise and how much are the Sunday comps?
I think practice is £17:00 for 70 birds and £25.00 for an 84 bird comp, not 100% sure on that though as I've not been for a while. Give Mark West a call or email to confirm, he's very helpful and a good guy!

Some grounds have a local policy that an unlicensed shooter must be accompanied by one of their own staff. I believe this applies at Ian Coley's; it certainly did back when it was called Chatcombe SS.
It certainly does, as our Section 11 only allows people to shoot on theground with a licence that is shown or taken around by a member of staff who has a licence and is covered by our insurance - most grounds should be very similar to this.

It certainly does, as our Section 11 only allows people to shoot on theground with a licence that is shown or taken around by a member of staff who has a licence and is covered by our insurance - most grounds should be very similar to this.
I should think so, maybe brought in after a man up here in Scotland turned up at a ground, borrowed a gun and walked into the woods and done himself in.

I should think so, maybe brought in after a man up here in Scotland turned up at a ground, borrowed a gun and walked into the woods and done himself in.
Clearly it is wrong to allow someone completely unsupervised access.

I am new to shotguns but understood that a certificate holder could supervise a person without a certificate on a ground authorised to allow such activities. In my case I went on a shoot with my son who, is keen to get into clay shooting and is 34 years old and the ground was happy and had an appropriate exemption

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back