Shooting the Gauges

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob_P

Until about 6 months ago I shot skeet almost exclusively, and picked up a set of Briley tubes for my K80. For those that don't know, this is a set of full length tubes that fit snugly inside the 12 gauge barels, and line up with the ejectors. This allows me to shoot 12, 20, 28 gauge and also .410 from the same gun, albeit with slightly heavier barrels.. The original idea was to shoot NSSA skeet competitions, the US equivalent of English Skeet. Most US competitions, will consist of 100 targets of each gauge, with .410 obviously being the most challenging.

Cartridge prices for the smaller gauges here in the UK are very high, so many shooters load their own, as in the US. With shooting smaller gauges being common in the US, there are a growing number of sporting competitions also being shot with the smaller cartridges. I must say that I enjoy 28 gauge and .410 at skeet, certainly focuses the mind :)

The 12 bore is pretty much the de-facto standard across the world, although over the years we are seeing an increasing trend towards lighter loads. There is signifcant pressure on the shooting community to be more environmentally friendly, and much of that pressure is about the amount of lead we use. So I was wondering how much scope there might be in the long term to move to smaller guages for all the shotgun sports?

My (limited) understanding, is that ballistically, there is not much difference between the gauges, just less lead in the air, and usually much less recoil. So I would expect targets to have to be closer than we are used to, but is that such a bad thing?

I confess that I have not tried any of the smaller gauges for sporting targets, but may try and have a go soon, just for fun.

What do you think?

Cant see it.. The main reason to shoot a 12g at sporting is that it is inherently heavy enough to be steady. You can already choose to shoot it with 21g cartridges; through full choke if you want to make it tricky. 20 Bore guns have 28g (etc.) ammo available; so dont quite get your point? Sorry if being daft..

It wouldnt break my heart if we had a limit of 21g; especially if the other option was steel. Same for all and they do a pretty good job.

CSC3

must say im with clever, would never like to see load sizes lowered.

I do quite frequently shoot my other halfs little 20 bore with 21g cartridges, and can shoot it quite well.

However there is a noticable differance at range - ie Weston Wood long loopers etc, just dont have the same braking power or consistancy.

20 bore with 28gram shells!!! Lovely use to shoot one of the old beretta's may have been a silver pigeon! Used it at pigeons! Kills just as good after all the load is still 28gram! :)

I think the main reason the majority shoot 12's is exactly what Clever said just more control and consistency with what you do with a 12 at clays.

Mind you I could shoot a 20 bore with good loads just as well at game.

Latest posts

Back