Shooting re-evaluation?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Folks what is the new policy like for practice - are people being required to go round in set numbered groups or is it just hygiene and safe distancing - no internal facilities ?

Scratch that - found this on Sporting Targets

WE ARE OPEN FOR PRE BOOKED PRACTICE ONLY – CONDITIONS APPLY

Ø  Pre-Booking Essential via reception; 01234 708893

Ø  You are required to follow Government Guidelines on “Social Distancing”

Ø  Report straight in with reception and register all people with you.

Ø  You will observe and obey the queuing system to check in

Ø  There are defined Shooting Layouts with a “one-way system” in place

Ø  You will NOT remain on one stand and must follow layout.

Ø  You will be required to wear your PPE (Hearing and Eye Protection) for the duration you are shooting – if you do not bring these with you than they will be available to buy. Wearing gloves is recommended

o   You can only shoot in groups of 2 (two) NOT from the same household and are required to maintain “Social Distancing”

o   Members of the same household may shoot together

Ø  After you have finished shooting you will go back to the “check in window” to pay for your shooting – this wherever possible will be done using a debit or credit card.

Ø  The clubhouse will be closed, except for the toilets

Ø  Bottled and can drinks will be available

Ø  The shop will be closed, however, cartridges and certain other items will be available

We are open for pre-booked practice ONLY

Booking in slots are available between the following times, call 01234 708 893 for your time slot.

Depends on where you are going.  Greenfields yesterday was no pre booking, Owls today was, you had your start time, what stand you started and only shot with one other person or on your own.  Best to check with grounds first. 

Longridge again today, sunny but very windy so much so son was laughing out loud at how much some of the clays were affected, that said was a pleasant afternoon and one I was glad to have had. 

Had 100 Sporting at Edgehill north of Banbury today, decidedly tricky in gusty winds, had forgotten how punchy those 26grm Litespeed carts are,  Enjoyed it.

Had 3 rounds of OT  at the NCSC Bisley this morning, very well organised, but I was so excited to get back shooting I forgot to put my ear plugs in!

Went to Southdown today with a mate, had 100 each down the lane on sporting, i seem to have seized up  with this break, way behind everything on first 3 stands. Had 50 each on the fitasc which was better, 100 each on the skeet to finish by which time the wind had got up and created some varying targets but shot a lot better, think i had freed up a bit. Nice bump free drive back to the farm as the potholes have been filled in the track. 👍

Haha.....inconsistent gun mount.
And that sounds familiar, alas. Although I am happy to prescribe my own therapy :)  

Have been after the clays on three occasions now and while I'm settling back in, I seem to have mostly gotten rid of one poor habit ('dipping the barrels') only to replace it with other errors in form (or judgment).

Glad to be out there though and happy to hear most of you are too.     

It’s been a weird time recently. Shooting was going well enough up until the covid time. My last shoot before lockdown was shocking as my head was all over the place with a guilt about being there. I now sit there with an average of 88 at sporting, 3rd in Berkshire rankings but wondering how it will go to pick up the gun again. In the background I have enormous business considerations which I hope will come good but need finalising. 

All going well I can enjoy my shooting going forward and do a selected amount of coaching. Let’s see how the immediate future unfolds folks. 

It’s been a weird time recently. Shooting was going well enough up until the covid time. My last shoot before lockdown was shocking as my head was all over the place with a guilt about being there. I now sit there with an average of 88 at sporting, 3rd in Berkshire rankings but wondering how it will go to pick up the gun again. In the background I have enormous business considerations which I hope will come good but need finalising. 

All going well I can enjoy my shooting going forward and do a selected amount of coaching. Let’s see how the immediate future unfolds folks. 
Best of luck, Will. Fingers crossed it all goes through for you!

wondering how it will go to pick up the gun again.
I'd been wondering the same thing but for different reasons. My shooting confidence had been in the toilet for a while before the shutdown and TBH I haven't really missed shooting, so there was no feeling of urgency to get back out.

Then I had a brainwave and booked a lesson with Steve Nutbeam. I know him quite well having reffed for him dozens of times, but I've never had a lesson from him till now. Really glad I did as I found it very worthwhile and definitely up to repeat the exercise. Couple of clicks up the confidence scale and feeling more positive already. 🤞

My confidence was at its best since I began shooting a year ago just prior to lockdown. I’ve really no idea what to expect when I do finaly get back out there to be honest, but I do think that whatever happens, it will come back to me either sooner or later.

@Will Hewland Best of luck to you Will with your shooting. And of course your business too. I’ve no clue as to the challenges you’re facing, but given the history and abundance of talent and intellect within, I’m sure it will work out very well indeed. 🤞

Last edited by a moderator:
three of us went to east of england shooting ground ,  turn up shoot no fuss ,  hand sanitiser every stand , sociable distancing , great targets  in the sunshine !  

College farm 100 practice today. It didn’t rain and was a lovely way back in to it. A fairly soft course by their reg standards but meaningful. I did my usual when rusty and missed close stuff in front at first. Finished with a 19/20 on a firm layout at the end, so happy enough and am now booking other shoots as they appear. 

I'd been wondering the same thing but for different reasons. My shooting confidence had been in the toilet for a while before the shutdown and TBH I haven't really missed shooting, so there was no feeling of urgency to get back out.

Then I had a brainwave and booked a lesson with Steve Nutbeam. I know him quite well having reffed for him dozens of times, but I've never had a lesson from him till now. Really glad I did as I found it very worthwhile and definitely up to repeat the exercise. Couple of clicks up the confidence scale and feeling more positive already. 🤞
Steve is a cracking coach. Had quite a few lessons with him in the past and my shooting\confidence always improves afterwards. Just a shame I cannot do it often enough.

I went to College  Farm today, blustery and it tried to rain but didn’t come to much.  Very enjoyable and enjoyed the sequences shooting the one up the hill 17/20 which I was very pleased with given the wind.  Looking good there as well.  

Back