shooting on your own land

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

classiusclay

How many acres do you have to own to be able to shoot on your own land for  clay or pigeon shooting?

I saw 6 acres of land up for sale with some woods on it.

sounds a daft question but not all of us can afford 300+ acres for a farm

I think, you have to be 55 yards away from a highway to diaccharge a shotgun. You cannot fire shot over a highway. You can clay pigeon shoot up to 28 days a year without ermission as long as you have a 400m zone of your own land. That could be wrong or outdated though.

Yes, I think the distance is 50ft from highway or footpath over which you must not shoot and a 300 yd fall of shot distance.

One of the biggest problems with shooting is the noise problem,it is possibly the thing you would get the first complaints about.

You must know where in relation to your proposed shooting ground there are inhabited properties and it is always a surprise to find that there is house very close to your ground even though you think the ground is in the middle of nowhere.

You need to also consider whether you will have to be restricted to fibre wad cartridges.

Vic.

but only if you disrupt pedestrian's or the flow of traffic

Yes, I think the distance is 50ft from highway or footpath over which you must not shoot and a 300 yd fall of shot distance.

One of the biggest problems with shooting is the noise problem,it is possibly the thing you would get the first complaints about.

You must know where in relation to your proposed shooting ground there are inhabited properties and it is always a surprise to find that there is house very close to your ground even though you think the ground is in the middle of nowhere.

You need to also consider whether you will have to be restricted to fibre wad cartridges.

Vic.
Good advice Vic. I have a neighbour who moved into the idyllic countryside from a city a few years ago and he's become yer typical hobby farmer, a few sheep, dogs, geese, ducks, pony or two etc, all day long I get Baaaaaaaaaaaaa, woof woof, hissssssss hissssssss, quack quack and whatever noise pony's make, but if I have the dammed audacity to shoot at pigeons and crows once in a while with my 12bore he get's his head right up his jacksy cos of the noise.

that answers my question, looks like I will be looking for a few acres in the north of scotland then.......

So , as long as you don't do any of them , you can shoot while standing on the road?

Well...it does read a bit odd doesn't it :)  But of course, you must also remember that you may only discharge a firearm, on private land on which you have a right to be ... 

So, if you shoot within 50 feet of the centre of the highway and one of those things happens...it is an offence.

If none of those three happens it is not an offence.

If you are 55 feet from the centre of the highway...then what?

And the shot or slug or shell or whatever you are shooting must stay on your land I believe, it must not fall outside your boundry. Re S C gun club.

Phil*

I am trying to purchase 3 acres of land next to my property at the moment for a skeet range, obviously I am seeking permission first,

from the local council before  diving in with such a purchase.  :nyam:

I am trying to purchase 3 acres of land next to my property at the moment for a skeet range, obviously I am seeking permission first,

from the local council before  diving in with such a purchase.  :nyam:
You might struggle there mate.  If you need 300 yards in all directions (a 300 yard semi circle) for fall of shot...you need 10 times that.  You would be OK with a 42 yard wide by 300 yard long bit of land, which is roughly 3 acres...if you were shooting straight out...but you aren't.

You would need permission to shoot over the surrounding land.  

As a private individual, there is nothing stopping you from shooting a shotgun on the land, but even as a private individual, you cannot allow any of the shot to leave the land that you have rights to shoot over.

http://www.losttarget.com/s/LeadShot.pdf

At skeet ranges, the positions of the 

shooters and the angles at which targets 
are thrown result in a fan-shaped 
theoretical shot fall zone. Depending on 
the load, the angle at which the shot was 
fired, wind, and other factors, typical lead 
skeet loads can reach about 680 feet from 
the shooter, although most shot typically 
tends to fall roughly 375–600 feet from 
the shooter. The theoretical shot fall zone 
and the area of maximum shot fall at a 
skeet field are illustrated at the top of 
Figure 2-9. The lower part of Figure 2-9 
shows the shot fall zone and area of 
maximum shot fall from several adjacent 
skeet fields. The theoretical shot fall zone 
of a single skeet field is approximately 14 
acres, and about 2 acres is added with 
each additional overlapping field. Even if 
shooting games other than regulation skeet 
are shot on a skeet field, the shot fall zone 
and area of maximum shot fall are 
typically no larger than those described 
above for standard skeet
Not trying to 

rain-on-my-parade.jpg

... or anything, just thought I would mention it.

Last edited by a moderator:
unless of course you put a high enough bank around the skeet layout , so the shot is contained within the bank. Or even use the screen that was used for the Skeet at the London Olympic's

unless of course you put a high enough bank around the skeet layout , so the shot is contained within the bank. Or even use the screen that was used for the Skeet at the London Olympic's

Indeed.  Would have to be a pretty high bank though; and netting ... that would cost more than the land did! :eek:

Looks like a long shot then, oh well, looking at the lie of the land I guess there is half that area in the 3 acres.

Perhaps an underground bunker style skeet range :nyam:

Latest posts

Back