Selling and Moving House

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tebbsy

Right two questions for the shootclay hive mind.

1. We will be selling our house shortly, can my guns be in the house during viewings (obviously tucked up thier slots in the cabinet, and keys with me) as i may not be present during the viewings?

2. When we do move, do i leave the guns with an rfd while i fix the cabinet in the new house? I asume that Mr FEO has to check the cabinet at the new house prior to bringing the thindersticks home?

Thanks

In exactly the same position as yourself, but our move has dragged on for over 12 months so far. We have now sold again, for the Third time. I have shown people around the house but my cabinet is concealed within a piece of other furniture, which we said would be going with us. My eight guns will be going on holiday to my local RFD and I have bought a second hand cabinet to 'quick-fix' and bring my most used guns back home. I am changing Police Force areas and will have to notify the new Force after my move. As they were my previous Employers and I have held a Shotgun Certificate within that Force before, I do not expect too many problems. Once my primary cabinet has been installed and possibly checked, I will bring the other guns to their new home. I feel that putting ALL of the guns into temporary storage will make life easier throughout the move and reduce the risk of accidental damage or even loss during this time. Of course, if you only have 1 or 2 guns and a shooting companion with a roomy cabinet, they could store the guns for you and bring them to wherever you plan on shooting. If they were 'REAL' friends, they would even offer to clean them after use and before storing them again. Problem is, if I had such friends, it may take me 12 months or so to install a cabinet.  Hope this helps, good luck and my sympathy with the move. W.

Yes and yes, if you want to. There's usually no problem with fitting the cabinet prior to any examination as you only need to take reasonable steps to ensure security. 

With the greatest of respect to those that respond, contact the police force that covers the area you intend to move to and follow their advice. Don't rely on the well intentioned opinions of others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan,

It was the opinion of a retired FEO from the Force area that  I will be moving to. It is based upon HOW I will be doing things, and if I was still working and dealing with this situation, how I would like to see it dealt with.

Last edited by a moderator:
i,ve just moved 2 weeks ago, rang leics police before the move, they just told

me to write to inform of my change of address after we move, never mentioned about  leaving guns with a rfd 

during the move at all so kept the guns with me.

cabinets installed but not heard from the feo yet

Moved house three times never advised old or new forces until move complete. Job number 1 was to install gun cabinet in the correct position, haven't got it wrong yet following the standard advice which you can get off any Police website  

In regard to viewings, cabinet was out of sight, just put an additional cloth cover over and some additional clutter (Hoover, ironing board) around it, to make it less apparent and made sure ALL the keys were with me at all times. Personally more concerned about access to cartridges and made sure my 'stock' was fully depleted and worked on a hand to mouth basis or asked a mate (with a cert) to store. 

Pal moved house recently, I took his guns the day before and put them in my safe, allowing him to remove his cabinet and get on with the move. I called at tea time and we fixed his cab to wall and filled it up and had a brew. Local firearms have yet to vist and I think its about 3 mths since.

I have moved three times in the last 8 years, take the guns and cabinet out the day you leave, fit it in the new house, inform the relevant authority of new address.

All the moves have been in the TVP area, nobody ever came to check the new house or location, until my renewal came up.

Last move was 3 years ago, FEO appeared April this year for SGC renewal in May.

If you're still moving up this way then you would be more than welcome to use the remaining 2 slots in my cabinet if you are stuck for a short term home for them. 

Can't offer any advice specifically on moving it though as it's not something I have been through since the SGC. 

Good luck with the move, always a bit of stress :)

Pal moved house recently, I took his guns the day before and put them in my safe, allowing him to remove his cabinet and get on with the move. I called at tea time and we fixed his cab to wall and filled it up and had a brew. Local firearms have yet to vist and I think its about 3 mths since.
Have you remembered to bolt yours down yet Mart, it seemed a bit unstable without doing so mate ?

I have a friends gun in my cabinet at the moment, he has moved into rented accommodation while he is in between house move's. We just rang the firearms dept and they sorted it over the phone.

Thanks for the replies, i have contacted the FEO for his thoughts also. It is basically in line with the hive mind.

Just need to get the house finished off and for someone to buy it.

I moved recently from Surrey to Hampshire, I notified both Forces ahead of time and I placed my gun into a gun shops local for storage. 

Once I had my new gun Cabernet in place I notified Hampshire forces, who told me to collect my gun and they would inspect me and issue me with a new certificate at the same time.

I'm sure there are less protracted ways to do it but, my gun needed adjustment so effectively the gun shop held it FOC. 

Hope this helps

remember that if a friend who has a shotgun cert holds your guns while you move , he/she MAY have to include them on their OWN certificate. 

Back