Ribs

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My thoughts in short...

We all see either the rib or bead in our peripheral vision, some more aware of it than others. Point at a tree in the distance- stare as hard as you like at the tree but you still know your finger is there.

Beads- not necessary, but if you prefer them then go for it. Personally I prefer without.

Ribs- personal preference again, if you shoot without a bead you need to have your stock set reasonably high so you have something to use as a ref in your peripheral vision. Flat comb and no bead I think you'll be in trouble.

That's my view anyhow...

ed

if you shoot with no bead you need your stock set high.

can you elaborate as i would have thought the opposite ?

My thoughts are that if you see no rib but have beads, you still have a reference point in your peripheral vision (the beads).

No beads but lots of rib showing gives you a dark line (like a finger) to use as a ref and "point" toward the target.

No rib and no beads = no reference at all (like having no rib at all) and therefore a bit hit and miss!

yes agreed ed but still not sure i understand your reasoning re- my question.

not being argumentative you understand just interested in your reasoning

Ribs are unnecessary. What is sorta necessary for most shooters is a muzzle reference whether it be the muzzle proper or a bead. If it has a high rib a high bead would do as well. Fitting is accomplished by establishing a relationship between the comb of the stock and the muzzle reference. What is or is not in between those two is meaningless unless it blocks the view. Back and front sights, nothing more or less. Swamped rib beadless SxS's were fitted to use the tops of the barrels as a ref - or for an accomplished shooter no ref at all other than the bird. Just like Churchill taught. Ribs and beads are psychic crutches.

High ribs w/ high combs do nothing more than move that relationship up however many MM and do nothing to change the angular relationship between the comb/eye and the bore centerline. That amount of vertical displacement in a shotgun pattern is probably not measurable in a dynamic situation.
I would like to see a 1" high bead at the end of a ribless gun! I did actually experiment with a similar concept, but all it does is turn a shotgun into a rifle and makes hitting a fast moving target very difficult, hence the evolution of tapered ribbed competition guns.

http://www.tirovesti.co.uk/

Like jakes picture above, I once noticed in a magazine that a lot of trap shooters have their noses PAST the thumb! (Which only a really high comb allows of course). This is WAY different from any decent sporting set up (which is 0.5- 2.5" behind). It's so different for trappies that maybe us sporty folks shouldn't even try and talk their language..

Extreme trap shooter may be brilliant at shooting off the hip...but he's crap at the getting the spent cartridges in the bins!!

Idol bastard!!

DT

Last edited by a moderator:
Extreme trap shooter may be brilliant at shooting off the hip...but he's crap at the getting the spent cartridges in the bins!!

Idol bastard!!

DT
Yeah don't you just hate people that leave empties all over the place!!! Maybe if I kept missing the bin I could shoot the targets better.......will try it next time!!! :laugh:

Latest posts

Back