Ribs

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les53

Many of us apparently never look at the top rib and some people don't use a bead either. So it makes me wonder if beads and even ribs are just a waste of time! Yes I know that apparently the top rib is supposed to reduce heat shimmer etc, but do we REALLY need them? Any thoughts guys?

You do need them in the sense that without them the cheek position / height would have to drop accordingly or the gun would shoot low. 

You do need them in the sense that without them the cheek position / height would have to drop accordingly or the gun would shoot low. 
So what would happen if say, you had a gun fitted so that it was all correct, then before you called for the bird the rib was removed?

You do need a Rib......although you might not look at the rib it is still there in your peripheral vision! Not saying you couldnt learn to shoot without it...but I doubt it would be very consistant.

Interesting,

I was going to post a topic on similar lines  regarding  beads,   

I shot a gun a while back with no bead,  and whilst at first found it odd,  actually helped me with lining the bird / rib up

Would it be safe to assume if you factored in the difference between shooting with or without,  then it should make very little difference to your shooting ?

Mart

Oh eck not the dreaded front bead debate again. Les what have you done :)

Interesting,

I was going to post a topic on similar lines  regarding  beads,   

I shot a gun a while back with no bead,  and whilst at first found it odd,  actually helped me with lining the bird / rib up

Would it be safe to assume if you factored in the difference between shooting with or without,  then it should make very little difference to your shooting ?

Mart
I have met a few shooters who use no bead at all, in fact I think our very own Ed Solomans uses no beads. Many years ago I was shooting ABT with a guy, at the end of the round he realised that he had lost his bead, we looked all over the layout but couldn't find it. When he put his gun in the car he found the bead in his gun case, so it was never actually there!!!! He was not a bead or rib watcher, he did it all by feel, in other words muscle memory! His score did not suffer due to the missing bead either.

Oh eck not the dreaded front bead debate again.  :)
Well yes and no Ian, it's a bit more than that! What sparked it was me looking at pictures of old guns on the net, some had no rib on them, some had no bead either. Some had what I think were called swamped ribs, on a SBS of course! My ex father in law had a single barrel gun with no rib or bead and he shot pigeons with it, he shot it well too! Anyway I know you love to play around with beads Ian!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think that (similar to what hammy says) without a rib you would have to have a lot of comb drop to get a sight picture and this would probably kick like a bitch. Rib maybe allows barrels to be effectively lower giving reduced recoil. From my experience high rib guns do this to the extreme as you don't neccasarily mount them any different or have your head particularily more upright, the stock is still in same place in shoulder the head is not that far off the same as a std rib gun but the barrels are a lot lower hence less recoil / muzzle flip. This of course could all be absolute bollox but that's my take on it :)

I would think that (similar to what hammy says) without a rib you would have to have a lot of comb drop to get a sight picture and this would probably kick like a bitch. Rib maybe allows barrels to be effectively lower giving reduced recoil. From my experience high rib guns do this to the extreme as you don't neccasarily mount them any different or have your head particularily more upright, the stock is still in same place in shoulder the head is not that far off the same as a std rib gun but the barrels are a lot lower hence less recoil / muzzle flip. This of course could all be absolute bollox but that's my take on it :)
So if your rib suddenly departed from your eell as you were about to call for the bird, would the lack of the rib alter the fit of the gun or where it shot Ian? The stock and tubes would still be in exactly the same place as they were before losing the rib wouldn't they? And as we don't actually stare at the rib when shooting, what difference would it make? The barrels would still be in your periferal vision if you see them at all that is! Just a thought!

I once saw an American trick shooter shooting ABT from the hip! He did it so as to prove to some of us that eye/rib relationship is not always needed! I think he hit 24 ex 25 on that ABT layout, AND he was using a Remy auto!!!!!!!!! Boy could he shoot.

Here is a ribless Longthorne!!

post-951-0-45908000-1383138445.jpg

Attachments

• np24img011.jpg
    np24img011.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 0
Good point les, Spose were back to the old chestnut of if we are aware of the bead / rib in any way, if not then your prob right but aesthetically my gun would look cack without it so the hack saw ain't coming out any time soon.

24 from the hip is very impressive to say the least were was that as a matter of interest

I use the rib as a pointing "aid" (in peripheral) yes you could point the barrels with your eye way above them, but it would be poo! Surely ribs where added for reasons such as accuracy/consistency and allowing the higher POI without hovering your head up high.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kentskeet said:
Ips have a look at : Extreme Trap by Renato Lamera on you tube, very impressive, apart from the music! I can't do a link to it off the iPad unfortunately perhaps someone else could.

24 from the hip is very impressive to say the least were was that as a matter of interest
At  USAF Bentwaters and Woodbridge. I sometimes used to shoot ABT and/or DTL over there. They had ATA and skeet layouts too. He got involved because we were all talking about how much rib to see for DTL etc, he said that you didn't need to even see the gun or even have it in the shoulder.......then he proved his point to our amazement!!!

Yeah that's the sort of thing, brilliant.........makes me sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :wild:

You'll surprise yourself if you try, shooting clays off the hip is not actually all that hard, like everything else just takes some practice. I did it quite well when I was at B class but it doesn't prove anything other than the fact that you can train the hand and eyes to co-ordinate. 

Years ago I read about how hard it was to hit a darn thing with a pistol the way cowboys do off the hip, five minutes later I was murdering bread slices thrown on the roof with a .22 Original air pistol.

So what would happen if say, you had a gun fitted so that it was all correct, then before you called for the bird the rib was removed?
The rib is part of the sight picture equation so removing it would disturb any fit that was gained with it present. 

Back