recoil

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing to do with me folk can do whatever they like with there own gun BUT all recoil reducer things look bloody orrible including funny coloured pads oh and those funny floaty comb thingies they really are orrible. If your suffering that much from recoil that you are considering some heath robinson device or spongie pad then one or more of the following is happening.

Gun doesn't fit

You cant mount it properly

Your cartridges are rubbish

You are a big mardie arse

This is an easy fix.

Buy a gun that fits

Get a lesson and spend many hours mounting in front of a mirror (ooh er mrs)

Try many brands of cartridges

Grow a pair.

Hope that helps :)

Nothing to do with me folk can do whatever they like with there own gun BUT all recoil reducer things look bloody orrible including funny coloured pads oh and those funny floaty comb thingies they really are orrible. If your suffering that much from recoil that you are considering some heath robinson device or spongie pad then one or more of the following is happening.

Gun doesn't fit

This is an easy fix.

Buy a gun that fits

Grow a pair.

Did you ever consider a career in the diplomatic service Ian?  Anyway, what is a "floaty comb thingie" Ian, never heard of one of those?

Another point to mention is that the ISIS system does NOT affect the balance of the gun. Net weight change is minimal. The USA system shown I believe is a heavy unit which does.?
Just had a look and yes depending on whether you opt for the Ultra Light or Standard versions, they add between 7 - 14 oz, no real problem in any case because as we know extra weight does itself aid recoil suppression. If the shooter is 100% set on his existing balance point / overall weight then things aren't straight forward but in reality the benefits easily outweight the minor inconvenience of having to re-balance or get used to a different balance point.

There are other, pneumatic devices over in the US too which allow experimentation to arrive at the right give for a given shooter.

Regarding the extra weight it's probably best to just treat it like you were changing your gun, they don't all feel or balance the same but with a bit of effort you can usually gel.

Just had a look and yes depending on whether you opt for the Ultra Light or Standard versions, they add between 7 - 14 oz, no real problem in any case because as we know extra weight does itself aid recoil suppression. If the shooter is 100% set on his existing balance point / overall weight then things aren't straight forward but in reality the benefits easily outweight the minor inconvenience of having to re-balance or get used to a different balance point.

There are other, pneumatic devices over in the US too which allow experimentation to arrive at the right give for a given shooter.

Regarding the extra weight it's probably best to just treat it like you were changing your gun, they don't all feel or balance the same but with a bit of effort you can usually gel.
By the time you have cut a section of wood from the stock (for correct LOP), and removed material inside as well...the difference is minimal, if any.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gun doesn't fit

This is an easy fix.

Buy a gun that fits

Grow a pair.

Ian 

Guns that look nice are great but to someone for whom recoil is a big problem I doubt that they care about how the gun looks if a fitted recoil reducer helps them to continue to shoot rather than to have to give up!

Seriously, call Dave Izzard and have a chat about it...lovely man.  Lots of information is hidden around his website, you just have to look for the arrows and links etc, site building is not his forte :)
Is that the batphone ringing?

With Isis yes. But the other ones still pretty big change I believe?
Yeah massively so.  Hamster was stating the approximate weight of the device, but forgot to subtract the weight of wood removed.

The other recoil reducers are much heavier. 

Yeah massively so.  Hamster was stating the approximate weight of the device, but forgot to subtract the weight of wood removed.

The other recoil reducers are much heavier. 
I'm all for balancing guns but lets face it an awful lot of them are nose heavy to begin with and bringing the weight back to the rear or making it more centrally distributed is not likely to cause people to drop a class.

I'm all for balancing guns but lets face it an awful lot of them are nose heavy to begin with and bringing the weight back to the rear or making it more centrally distributed is not likely to cause people to drop a class.
No, of course you are right.  I think the main point, is that if someone were concerned with altering the balance of their gun, then obviously the lighter ISIS2 would be preferable to one of the heavier systems.

Did you ever consider a career in the diplomatic service Ian?  Anyway, what is a "floaty comb thingie" Ian, never heard of one of those?
Nah mate never really considered it :0

Weird adjustable comb that moves backwards and forwards on the stock presumably so it doesn't hurt your sensitive skin mate. very weird too shoot.

Ian 

Guns that look nice are great but to someone for whom recoil is a big problem I doubt that they care about how the gun looks if a fitted recoil reducer helps them to continue to shoot rather than to have to give up!
You obviously have some weird contraption on yours then Robert ??

I too am beginning to feel the effects of recoil after all the years of shooting abuse, however I believe that if 24g loads don't give you what you need then Houston you have a problem with gun fit or technique.

I have a long term neck problem from a sports injury about 10years ago I have had xrays etc and they said it was damage to the vertebrae in the neck (there sort of crushed) this also gives me referral pain in the shoulder. Heavy duty prescription pain killers do not even touch it I just live with a constant niggling pain or a very severe pain depending on the day, I also have sciatica had it for 30 yrs and have now developed arthritis in the right hip .... the point to all this rambling is that if I can tolerate on average 250 shots per week by using a gun that fits and with 24g loads and presumably a not too bad technique then one assumes that everyone else should be able to bare it without fitting some weird and wonderful gizmo. Its only my opinion and as usual I enter my T and Cs as "I could be talking cack" ................ except I am not.

There are many top shots who use recoil reduction devices, if you take into acount a half decent pad as a minimum, then all of them do ! Without being too harsh the subject of recoil is one of those where unless you're personally affected to the degree of having to seek ways of reducing it, you simply wouldn't have the benefit of either experience, knowledge or wisdom to comment in a constructive way.

Recoil has nothing to do with the above in bold it is all about good old Isaac Newton and his laws of motion. Now the gun will always accelerate rearward initially at the same rate regardless of the inclusion a simple shock absorber that is a fact hence the recoil is the same, how that force is then managed is something else. The reason lightweights feel recoil more than heavy weights is again down to the laws of motion. Gun movement is going to be down to a space between the gun and the shoulder and the actual weight resisting gun movement in the first instance that is why a well fitted gun will give less "felt recoil". To reiterate I don't see how you can stop the gun accelerating rearward at the same intitial rate with out reducing the shot load or increasing the weight of the gun.

The receiver of the gun does travel rearward. But before the energy is all transmitted to the shoulder, some is expended elsewhere.

See the graphs on the ISIS site.

Regardless of any science lesson, my gun felt like I was using something less than 21g loads after I fitted mine.

No apart from Muller chokes my 686E adjustable comb is standard, but to some the gun is like a tool to do the job of breaking clays, not a work of art!
Then those people are philistines :)

Very touchy today Robert that's not like you ?

Adjustable comb you say .... oh well :)

Then those people are philistines :)

Very touchy today Robert that's not like you ?

Adjustable comb you say .... oh well :)
I don't feel touchy today but you sometimes express strong views to which others are entitled as well.

Adjustable combs have always been "de rigeur" for target shooters so it doesn't bother me.

I'm just saying that if it came to a necessary choice I'd choose comfort rather than looks if it was one or the other and I needed the comfort! 

Its interesting to note that the vast majority of top trap shooters tend to use a "fitted" stock, there are a few exceptions but most of us trappies seem to accept the fact that a properly fitted stock will work very well and probably feel much comfier to shoot.

Funny that innit.

I don't feel touchy today but you sometimes express strong views to which others are entitled as well.
Strong views Moi !!!

psst

its strong views that usually get a good topic going, (insert wink smiley thing)

Latest posts

Back