RC2 24grm cartridges

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope....I have set up Fiocchi threads in the past and people are allowed to talk about any they want ....so i was told. :wink:

Exactly....so hence when asked about 24grms I am happy to say the best.

It is amazing how many on here thank me on PM for the info about the Fiocchi cartridges, which they tried and now buy, but for some reason do not feel that they want to discuss it on line.

However to all newbies who are unsure....try all of them you fancy and then come to try the best :smile:

It might have started about RC's but quickly mentioned Kent and Express then went onto Fiocchi. I tried some Fiocchi TT recently coz I couldn't get Fiocchi Official. The TT's were ok, on a par with other's i've used. Yesterday I used Fiocchi Official 7.5's on ABT. 5/8 + full choke . VERY soft,  hard hitting, even on very late 2nd barrel's. Not many cartridges have received a 'WOW' from me but these did. Loved them.

Nothing wrong with a bit of inter-brand discussion. Just don't deviate onto 28 grams or you'll all have to be warned! :p

if I could type with more than one finger i'd have posted that before yours Nicola 

Have a re-read Bryan and it might not seem like such drastic measures are required! :)

Apologies to the OP for the slight deviation, lets get this back on track :)

The 4 different cartridges I have shot in 24gram loads are as follows:

Express Excel Olympian in 7.5 shot and 8 shot

RC2 7 shot

Gamebore XLR 8 shot

Fiocchi F-Blu and F-black 7 shot.

In my very humble opinion, the best to shoot are the Express Cartridges, but at about £210/1000, are prohibitive in cost.  To Quantify my 'Best' statement, I mean comfort and breaks on clays at all ranges.  They are snappy, light and break clays into little bits, even on edge on birds at distance.  I don't know I am firing them.  I shoot 2x Half Teague chokes in my Miroku Trap gun.  RC2's seem very similar to the express but not as smooth.  Nothing wrong with Fiocchi's they break everything I hit.  But I am comparing a £210/1000 cartridge to a £180/1000 cartridge. 

To put it like this, I have faith in my half Teague choke to break everything.  I have shot over 2000 varied 24gram shells and I now have faith that they can do the business if I do my bit!  I will try the Gamebore EVO 8's next and make my assumption.  Since I don't shoot competitions yet, I will find a cost effective cartridge that I like in 24gram, that is comfortable and inspires FAITH when I pull the trigger.  Then I'll buy 5000 of them at a time so I can't change my mind!!!

Just thought I'd update you on my 24Gram cartridges.  I had the opportunity to pattern my Mk38 the other day with my RC cartridges 7 shot, and the Excel Olympics 7.5 shot.  With 1/2 choke both barrels the results were a little surprising.  Both patterned well through my Teagues, but the Express cartridges were fantastic even Wok sized patterns, almost perfectly circular with a brilliant even pattern throughout at 30 paces.  The RC's were more uneven and spread a little wider by about 2" on the radius and had a lot more fliers.  Certainly, nothing that flies through either pattern will escape, but the breaks with the Express's would be expected to be much more distinctive, and you would expect them to hold better at a longer range.  I pay £155/1000 for RC's and over £210 for the Express.  I don't have any EVO's or F-Blacks but I hope to try some in the near future.

Apologies for the lack of photographs, I am rubbish in that respect!

Very disappointed with the lack of pictures ................ only joking :)

Try 24grm in Fiocchi.....you will love them as they are soooooooo smooth.
I recently tried Fiocchi TTtwo's, partly as a result of your enthusiasm for Fiocchi Nicola, they are one of the best I have used, just recently I bought a slab of RC2 28gm 71/2's, looking forward to trying them on Saturday. I appreciate all this valuable advice.

Over the last year I've tried a various brands and having developed a liking for OSK have been using 24g frequently. Somehow I always manage to return to 24g Rio Target Loads. If i run out of Rios then i use Cheddite Drago skeet. Fiocchi TT2 are ok but the now discontinued Top Black skeet were better. Now awaiting the replacement FBlack skeet but some how I know the Rios will be back in the chamber before long.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently tried Fiocchi TTtwo's, partly as a result of your enthusiasm for Fiocchi Nicola, they are one of the best I have used, just recently I bought a slab of RC2 28gm 71/2's, looking forward to trying them on Saturday. I appreciate all this valuable advice.
I haven't tried the Fiocchi TTtwos yet, but they are on my list! 

The 28gram RC2's were a good cartridge, but after using 24's for so long I feel 28's in the shoulder a lot more.  I much preferred the 24 grams, but I am sure that you won't have a problem with the 28's. 

My favourites continue to be the Express Excels.  Soooooo smooth.  I'll give the TTtwo's a bash as they are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than the Express. 

I haven't tried the Fiocchi TTtwos yet, but they are on my list! 

The 28gram RC2's were a good cartridge, but after using 24's for so long I feel 28's in the shoulder a lot more.  I much preferred the 24 grams, but I am sure that you won't have a problem with the 28's. 

My favourites continue to be the Express Excels.  Soooooo smooth.  I'll give the TTtwo's a bash as they are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than the Express. 
Yep! the costs involved are driving me toward 24's and after recently trying RC's I can only imagine how good they could be. Like a whiskey drinker my self confidence increases with shot load. I know I shouldn't allow this to happen perhaps the 24gm RC's will sort me out.

Yep! the costs involved are driving me toward 24's and after recently trying RC's I can only imagine how good they could be. Like a whiskey drinker my self confidence increases with shot load. I know I shouldn't allow this to happen perhaps the 24gm RC's will sort me out.
I was at Barby on Saturday and they had a 55yd rabbit and a long crosser edge on midi at 60yds.  I was breaking both clays with very satisfying breaks on the RC2's 24grms and the Excel olympians.  I took my chokes out to give them a clean and realised I had been using 1/4 choke both barrels instead of my usual 1/2 choke!  Must have forgot to take them out from last time!  Confidence inspiring if nothing else!

I struggle to get all but the most ubiquitous local marques on this side of the North Channel and the RC and Fiocchi loads I have been trying are both traps shells, they hit hard with quite a tight pattern. A 55 yard rabbit I'd have problems with but I love the long crossers. I'm pretty sure 24gm well placed would see either knocked over. I'll have to get to grips with it though.

Back