RC2 24grm cartridges

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geordieboy

Good morrow fair people

I see that William Powell cartridges are selling RC2 Cartridges 24gm £155.10/1000 and 28gm £162.03/1000 in 7.5/8's.  I was about to go and buy 1000 Gamebore EVO 8's but seen these at a good price and was wandering if anybody had shot these cartridges before?  I had a bit of a revelation the other week you see.  I shoot Kent 28gms and they break everything out there and pattern well in my gun.  However, after I shot some Express Excel's in 24grm, I was astounded at the lack of recoil and how they were breaking clays.  I used to like the old White Gold XLR's and hence the search for some well priced EVO's in 8 shot, but at the above price, those RC's look like a bargain. 

Anybody shot them at all and how do they recoil?

Many Thank

Steve

They're in common use at OT selection shoots [24gm] so they are well regarded.

Many Thanks 40up.  I shoot 1/2 choke both barrels at sporting so they should break everything out there.  In fact, it is more likely the reason they don't break is because my damn barrels are pointing in the wrong direction!

Cheers

I have been using Kent Velocity 28gm 7.5's with my Mk38 Trap for some time now and I like the way they pattern through my teagues.  I have just bought a Perazzi Mx12 recently and felt the recoil a lot more.  I didn't notice the recoil so much with the Mk38.  Shooting the perazzi with some 24grm Excel's, the lack of recoil was very noticeable and they broke everything on the sporting layout I shoot.

I shot these last week at a corporate do. As my gun is still with GMK, I borrowed my old lightweight 28" Beretta game gun from my mate.

I shot 120 cartridges and was mighty impressed with the lack of recoil. They were killing side on clays at 50yds with no problem (well the only problem being the man with the gun) with 1/4 and 1/2 fixed choke.

Much appreciated.  I will give a 1000 a try out then.  I was quite a bit surprised at how much the Kents kicked after using 24gm cartridges. I still like Kents for their breaks though. 

I've used them a lot and they are very good. As with the Excels they are intended for O.T. so should have no problems with breaking edge on 50 yard targets.

I have just bought 1000 of them.  They only have them in 7.5's or 2.4mm shot size, but I doubt that will make any difference.  If a clay can find a way through my shot pattern then bloody good luck to it!!!!!  My half choke is quite tight on my Mk38!  As my father is down this weekend I am sure he will be very pleased to push a few boxes through his Beretta!!!

Thanks for your help everyone.  I will inform you of my findings!

I picked up a thousand as well - the price in the shop is about £7 more than online, but when I queried they matched the price.  Shame the 28G shells have all gone.

I changed to 24g cartridges when I had a go at OT a few years ago and have continued using them for DTL and ABT since. The much lower recoil has made a days shooting much more comfortable. I used to shoot Clever Mirage T2 24g, they were really smooth to shoot, but they are just a bit too exensive at the moment and there is no longer a stockist close to me. I have recently been using 24g RC2's 7.5 through my Miroku 3800 with 3/4 and full chokes, when I get it right the clay turns to dust so I don't see any need for 28g with the additional punishment to the old shoulder. 

I hope you like the RC2's

Hi PaulH

Since I shoot 1/2 choke both barrels at Sporting, I am comfortable with the fact that if the clay is in the pattern, then it will break!!  I was quite taken aback at how little recoil those 24gm express cartridges had compared with the Kents.  I am shooting this Saturday so if I like the RC2's, then at that price, I will go and get another 1000.  Comfort and patterning are what I am after.

Just a quick update on the RC's.  Went to Barby on Saturday and My Brother and Father finished off my Kent Cartridges.  Dad was using his Silver Pigeon and he complained of a headache after 2 rounds.  Letting him shoot the RC's he immediately commented on the lack of recoil.  I shot the RC's with my Miroku Trap and it was great.  Smooth recoil and they certainly did the business.  These were the 7.5's (2.4mm shot) in 24gram, and I really like them.  Face on Battues at 30yds were really minced with my half chokes, and a nice midi crosser at 40yds edge on were broken with highly satisfying star shapes.  I am going to change to these cartridges now.  Fast, pattern tight and easy on the shoulder, and at that price I can't go wrong.

Just a little update on the cartridges!

Shot 4 rounds at Barby on Saturday (120 birds in total).  Had a few boxes of Black Gold I shot off first and then moved onto the RC2's, First few shots were really smooth and very nice to shoot, then the next 2 boxes were really thumpy.  I discovered that I had been sold a slab of 28grams and they were really aggressive to shoot.  On the last round, I had a bad head firing them, and I had been shooting Black Golds all morning with no adverse affects.  They were more thumpy than the kents I had been used to shooting. 

So in summary, breaks were as good with the 24grams, which are really nice and smooth to shoot, and the 28grams kick quite badly and give me a bad head!

24grams for me from now on!

Try 24grm in Fiocchi.....you will love them as they are soooooooo smooth.

Try 24grm in Fiocchi.....you will love them as they are soooooooo smooth.
Which ones?  I had some F-blacks and F-Blus and thought they were alright.  At £155/1000 those RC's are very good in a 24gram and I am inclined to use them.  Mind you, I loved the Gamebore Black Gold Cartridges.  They shoot fast and sweet without the thump of Kents, and really inspire confidence.

24g black are only about £10 per 1000 more than blu and are a better sweeter cartridge however the blu are very good also and funnily enough some trap lads I know prefer them to the black which is strange to me.

I like the Golden in 24 grms.....but the F and TT ranges are also good. Depends on what you want to spend. Fiocchi have something suitable for all levels and all pockets.

Back