Pull away in skeet

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeordieTrapper

Pull away seems a popular method, certainly K80ben says it is his preferred method. I try to use it on stations 3-4-5 but struggle on high 2 and low 6. What method do members use, I know maintained lead is the method of top shooters like Todd Bender but it isn’t working consistently for me?

All i would say is, perhaps it's your technique thats letting you down. As skeet is a 'discipline' it should be shot as one (Well to be proficient anyway) and not just to stand on a square and shoot it willy nilly. 

Pull away seems a popular method, certainly K80ben says it is his preferred method. I try to use it on stations 3-4-5 but struggle on high 2 and low 6. What method do members use, I know maintained lead is the method of top shooters like Todd Bender but it isn’t working consistently for me?
Learn maintained lead, once you’ve sussed it it makes the discipline relatively straightforward. As much as possible it takes the unpredictability out of the game and gives you a repeatable method that works from ground to ground and in all weather conditions. In the last 10 years or so swing through and pull ahead as shooting methods have all but disappeared when it comes to top end National/English skeet. Consistency can be far more easily achieved with defined lead at each station and with each target.

The only target you may struggle to maintain in the second target of the pair at station 4. This is because it’s the only target on the field you’ll likely have to come from behind to shoot. It can be shot with maintained lead but it requires the first target to be shot quickly and in a very narrow window just a few feet from the high house.

This video may help. It’s NSSA skeet but the principle’s the same:

https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/5mxFjry8dXQ?feature=oembed

Remember too that there’s much more to skeet than lead. Stance, weight distribution, gun hold point, eye focal point and body rotation are all important.

If you’re anywhere near East or North Yorkshire I’d be happy to give you some help.

Last edited by a moderator:
English skeet can be shot with any method as, nssa skeet sustained lead is the only way. 

move won the English or British skeet shooting swing through and pull away but nssa skeet not a chance

if your going to take a lesson go to Allen warren and he will work what’s best for u 

Thanks for the videos Jan and your very kind offer, unfortunately I live in the South West. I will persist with maintained lead

2 hours ago, Jan Powell said:

Learn maintained lead, once you’ve sussed it it makes the discipline relatively straightforward. As much as possible it takes the unpredictability out of the game and gives you a repeatable method that works from ground to ground and in all weather conditions. In the last 10 years or so swing through and pull ahead as shooting methods have all but disappeared when it comes to top end National/English skeet. Consistency can be far more easily achieved with defined lead at each station and with each target.

The only target you may struggle to maintain in the second target of the pair at station 4. This is because it’s the only target on the field you’ll likely have come from behind to shoot. It can be shot with maintained lead but it requires the first target to be shot quickly and in a very narrow window just a few feet from the high house.

This video may help. It’s NSSA skeet but the principle’s the same:

https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/5mxFjry8dXQ?feature=oembed
That's a very kind offer Jan. 

Maintained lead for me on every skeet target. It makes the second bird on 4 quite a bit slower but once you find it it's not a problem.
This i dont get and i will quizz the legend that is sir warrren,but on the second target of a pair , theres plenty of time to shoot the first one steady and go to swing through on the second.To do it both maintained i recon would make target one a very rushed shot untill perfected to the point that youre shooting at a small window thats in the same place on every range and at this point is where you see more multi discipline shots shine when the wind comes to the show i guess. 

This i dont get and i will quizz the legend that is sir warrren,but on the second target of a pair , theres plenty of time to shoot the first one steady and go to swing through on the second.To do it both maintained i recon would make target one a very rushed shot untill perfected to the point that youre shooting at a small window thats in the same place on every range and at this point is where you see more multi discipline shots shine when the wind comes to the show i guess. 
If you can shoot swing through it's the best as you say but I cannot so it's maintained for me. I don't rush the first but the 2nd is getting fairly close to the ground. 

If you can shoot swing through it's the best as you say but I cannot so it's maintained for me. I don't rush the first but the 2nd is getting fairly close to the ground. 
Here’s Todd Bender shooting pairs at station 4 with maintained lead:

https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/MOq7EaynXes?feature=oembed

It looks ridiculously fast at first but once you crack it the targets become relatively simple to shoot. The advantage being it’s easily repeatable and takes away all the unpredictability that comes with swing through.

I use swing through on every target. Except for 1 high and 7 low of course. That is in Dutch sporting skeet and Olympic skeet. It leaves plenty of time on all targets, and lots of control in windy conditions.

Sometimes a second target in a double is shot with maintained lead.

I read this thread rather inattentively a while back. Then yesterday just fancied a shoot and saw NCSC had reg ESK on, so just thought I’d go and do it as not too far and just makes a change. My second 100 ESK and the last time was 2006.. Haven't even done 25 skeet in years. 

Anyway, first round was going OK until peg 4, where I dropped 4 of the 5 targets!!! Finished on a 20. So, I figured despite only seeing a foot of lead, I was going in front and sure enough did a 25 next round by just shooting a shade past the front edge of the targets, but peg 4 the gun felt uncomfortably quick and a bit lucky. I then struggled mainly on peg 3 on next two rounds and did a couple of 22s. 

I was definitely using swing through, which I dislike in ESP, but I suppose it was due to lack of planning, forcing me to chase every target down. I really can see the benefit of using maintained if I have another go. In sporting I successfully use a method on some quick clays whereby I let the clay come to the gun, then immediately pull away, maintain a visible gap and shoot. All happens quickly, but looks slow to my eye in practice. Could be useful to me on 3,4,5 on skeet. 

I shoot skeet every Wednesday night at eriswell (floodlit through the winter)  if you hit a 25 you go into the shootoff at the end of the night.  Shooting pairs on 4 high low then low high. Now the light is starting to go my very slow maintained style is successful and I've won it the last couple of weeks. When the light is good those skeet shooter's with the swing through method are unbeatable and never look like missing. 

Back