Pull away method advice & help?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I look through the gun and maintain a lead on driven. And most teal I just rifle at the top , the occasional long steep ones I pull through but still measure the gap.
If I try to maintain lead on driven targets, 9 times out of 10 I'll stop the gun. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

I've tried swing through and pull away methods but I cannot get on with either they seem so uncontrolled and unmeasured to me. If I miss I have absolutely no Idea where. Maintained lead is so much easier for me, I use it on all targets.
Pull away, if shot correctly is controlled and measured.

Facebook users have a look here

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2440823249531263&id=100008108354961&sfnsn=mo

and here

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2440835012863420&id=100008108354961&sfnsn=mo

Pull away, if shot correctly is controlled and measured.
The one huge downside to pull away is that it becomes difficult to control on fast or short window targets and it's the same or more so with swing through too. The maintained lead proponents all say that it has the advantage on such targets because it has the effect of slowing things down because the gun is always in front of the target rather than having to pull away or overtake. As I said earlier, from what I see when out reffing at reg sporting events or shooting with experienced shots, pull away is the least used of the 3 classic methods.

I hear what BH and GD say about being on the line and it obviously works very well for both of them, but other top shots such as MM, RF, CC and SR, all big title winners in their own right, approach things differently. I once watched RF shoot a tricky climbing, quartering fast L-R standard at about 35yds. His move started well below the line and he triangulated the muzzles to a gap in front and almost immediately fired. He didn't follow the line at all yet smashed every clay with ease.

As Bebo said, different strokes and all that.

The one huge downside to pull away is that it becomes difficult to control on fast or short window targets and it's the same or more so with swing through too. The maintained lead proponents all say that it has the advantage on such targets because it has the effect of slowing things down because the gun is always in front of the target rather than having to pull away or overtake.
Interesting.  On those sort of targets I'll start in front, get a relationship to the clay and then pull away to the lead I need.  Suppose it's a kind of hybrid maintained.  There wouldn't be enough time for me to get comfortable that I'd got the speed and lead right for true maintained.  True maintained lead always makes me slow the gun anyway as I end up measuring the gap for too long.

On those sort of targets I'll start in front, get a relationship to the clay and then pull away to the lead I need.  Suppose it's a kind of hybrid maintained. 
I'd say that's what most do, especially the old folks like me. A few superstars can mount to the lead as per MMS, but for mere mortals, starting in front and adjusting seems pretty common.

I find myself using the pull away method on fast crossing birds, think skeet centre stand, I find it comes naturally and is reliable and enjoyable. I might start from behind or track the clay momentarily, pull in front, fire and keep swinging

Latest posts

Back