Prize money

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 months maybe? They should get contact details really and text/email the winners and if they get no reply then they should roll it over to the next comp rather than absorbing it into their own takings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indefinitely it's not theirs to give to charity or absorb into their own profit 
Very nearly agree, obviously indefinitely is not practical but a year isn't beyond the realms of possibility. All sorts of excuses are made why it's such hard work but all it takes is an A4 size note book for each new year, simply write down the winners names on a new date specific page, it'll then take seconds to trace any claims. 

Should come into the modern age, Faster payments are an actual thing now.

Steve Nutbeam has a shoe box at Longridge with prize money in it going back at least 4 yrs ?  Other grounds send a cheque if you aren't local.  Others hold on to it a year and lots seem to give it to charity after 3 months.  I don't agree with the three month.  I was writing this much earlier but had to leave to get to local A&E to be with my friend's son who had been attacked whilst out jogging.  Just got home - badly bruised but luckily nothing broken.  

The three month thing is a con to attempt to not pay it out IMO. I once won £80 at a ground (now closed) and they wouldn't pay because I was over three months collecting (or trying to..). I explained to the guy that I only shot registered shoots, that this was their first registered shoot since the last one four months ago. Also his ground was 100+ mile round trip for me and that I wasn't going to drop by otherwise. He finally gave me £40. I also saw them telling a bloke off for picking up his winnings without entering the shoot. Jeez, it's not their money is it..

I also don't like the concept of losing out because you aren't there for a shoot off. I tied HG at a shoot a while back and got given second place money because I wasn't there for a shoot off at 3pm. I had left at 11.30am, so 3.5 hour wait just in case isn't a great thing IMO. This also happened to my mate who won A at Southdown on Sunday. I say do a shoot off if both are there and want to do it, otherwise add and divide.

If its a championship shoot and there is a tie then you need a shoot-off. Otherwise its add-and-divide. Simple and straightforward. 

The three month thing is a con to attempt to not pay it out IMO. I once won £80 at a ground (now closed) and they wouldn't pay because I was over three months collecting (or trying to..). I explained to the guy that I only shot registered shoots, that this was their first registered shoot since the last one four months ago. Also his ground was 100+ mile round trip for me and that I wasn't going to drop by otherwise. He finally gave me £40. I also saw them telling a bloke off for picking up his winnings without entering the shoot. Jeez, it's not their money is it..

I also don't like the concept of losing out because you aren't there for a shoot off. I tied HG at a shoot a while back and got given second place money because I wasn't there for a shoot off at 3pm. I had left at 11.30am, so 3.5 hour wait just in case isn't a great thing IMO. This also happened to my mate who won A at Southdown on Sunday. I say do a shoot off if both are there and want to do it, otherwise add and divide.
I agree fully with the first part of your post, too often it seems as though some grounds see it as a chore. I once tied HG and as we were both there and on good terms we agreed to add and divide despite the result, the organiser started TELLING us we couldn't do that  :huh:  so I just said it's our money we can do what we like (I mean how is he even to know afterwards what we do ?).

Regarding the second part it's a bit of a grey area, years ago shoot offs were a given because most shoots were 50 birders and people didn't go from shoot to shoot like many do nowadays so you usually had the winners present. Things are different today as many do 2-3 shoots in a day and I haven't been in a shoot off for years, the tendency is to add and divide but the rules specific to any ground should be prominently displayed because if someone HAS made a point of being present for a shoot off then it's only fair they win by default so long as the ground with such rules does actually make an effort of organising a shoot off stand and not just favour the reggler boy  :baby: .

Last edited by a moderator:
A year should be the minimum and surely this is something the CPSA could specify?

I asked at Churchills two weeks ago as hadn't been for 4 months so first chance to pick winnings up. They showed me a massive folder going back 3-4 years at least.

Sean at Gunsite is good too.

Hadn't been for ages for various reasons must have been nearly a year...sent him a message and he happily posted me a check.

Don't see why any ground couldn't do this if requested.

Kept indefinitely at Podimore since Don took over and we have published a list on FB of the ones we have outstanding, not the grounds money to keep.

And we add and divide (or at least we do when I can get the maths right  :yell: )

Regarding the second part it's a bit of a grey area, years ago shoot offs were a given because most shoots were 50 birders and people didn't go from shoot to shoot like many do nowadays so you usually had the winners present. Things are different today as many do 2-3 shoots in a day and I haven't been in a shoot off for years, the tendency is to add and divide but the rules specific to any ground should be prominently displayed because if someone HAS made a point of being present for a shoot off then it's only fair they win by default so long as the ground with such rules does actually make an effort of organising a shoot off stand and not just favour the reggler boy  :baby: .
If its a registered shoot and not a championship then there is no shoot-off, its add and divide regardless if all the shooters or none of them are present at the prize giving. 

If its a registered shoot and not a championship then there is no shoot-off, its add and divide regardless if all the shooters or none of them are present at the prize giving. 
Ian, is this in the rules somewhere? Or just accepted practice?

Cambridge Gun Club published a list last year. I nudged someone I know through Facebook and they collected prize money from 2011! 

Indefinitely I would have thought. Or some quite large cut off like three years. 

[SIZE=7pt] All cash-only prizes shall be awarded on an ‘add and divide’ basis unless there are any titles and/or trophy, medal or badge prizes at stake in which case a shoot-off will determine all the prizes (article, trophy, medal, badge and/or cash), after which any additional cash-only prizes shall be awarded on an ‘add and divide’ basis. [/SIZE]

Ian, is this in the rules somewhere? Or just accepted practice?
From page 6 of the rule book.

Latest posts

Back