pre shot routine?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeredup

hi looking for a lil bit of help with setting up a pre shot routine that works for me as i am all over the place at the moment and my consistancy is non exsistant! also i can't seem to up the tempo of my shooting an take too long watching the clays before i shoot em any advice would be greatly received i am thinking about having a lesson or 2 with some one like Brian Clegg

regards

Andy

I'm starting to think about the pre-shoot routine. I tend to rush it if I start a stand badly. I'm going to relax and take my time no matter what the outcome of the shot.

i just can't get any consistancy at the moment i either shoot rather well or like stevie wonder in the dark!! i am still a novice shooter and i have had a few lessons already with a CPSA coach and one some days i am hitting upto around 60% of the clays on a round of 100 but yesterday i would be being generous is said i hit 30% of the clays??

If some days you are only hitting 30% I would get a couple of lessons focussing on technique before worrying too much about constructing a relevant pre shot routine.

Brian would be able to do either should you contact him.

I think that pre shot routine evolves over the years and can continue to do so to the extent that it can change totally without you realising, also you can find that it can alter somewhat from week to week for various conscious or unconscious reasons. Best not to give it too much thought or you Will find you are thinking solely on your routine and not the job at hand. I believe it is better to think completely about the target and nothing else everything else Will just happen. Nothing and i repeat nothing Will damage your score more than over anylising. Basic principal of shooting is see target, shoot target. Concentrate on the former and the latter Will take care of itself.

yeah i think your right i am over thinking about it rather than just doing it! i shot a lil bit better today 50/100 but still not as good as i can do but still feel a lot more confident than this time yesterday :)

As long as you improve then your doing very well just think target and nothing else, once you settle into a style (which Will naturally evolve) then you must learn to trust your own ability. Trying to emulate another shooters style does not Allways improve your own. Target target target.

I have never ever shot sporting in my life (i assume thats what you shoot) and i doubt very much that i could hit 50 of em :)

yeah i shoot sporting and just seem to be over thinking i know Mike who shoots with me says i do over think what i am doing its just so damn infuriating not being able to get some consistancy into my shooting. I have been shooting for just on 12 months now and shoot 200-300 a week when i am home on leave :) i'll get there in the end and i was thinking(again) that starting from how i set myself up for the shot ie the pre shot routine i could start and make my shooting more consistant but by the sounds of it i need to just keep improving my technique and let the rest drop into place behind good sound technique :)

As you are newish to the sport, Technique and consistent gun mount are key. A few pointers from a good coach will/should help, with any 'bad' issues you may have picked up, without knowing.

Shooting 2-300 hundred a week will not always make you a better shot, its how you shoot them that counts.

It may be worth you practicing some skeet, to get you being more consistent. Just a thought!

As you are newish to the sport, Technique and consistent gun mount are key. A few pointers from a good coach will/should help, with any 'bad' issues you may have picked up, without knowing.

Shooting 2-300 hundred a week will not always make you a better shot, its how you shoot them that counts.

It may be worth you practicing some skeet, to get you being more consistent. Just a thought!
+One. :)

Cleggy would be a good man to go see for a lesson, knows his onions for sure. I'm sure he'll get you on track. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I shot like a tool today. Always seems to happen when I've spent a lot of time with a rifle. Driving wind and rain did not help, but no excuse. Buddies I usually score around the same as were not having so much trouble. Hey-ho, there's always next week.

The trouble is that we can all have a bad day for various reasons or no reason at all. You have to accept it and forget it the same way you must forget about the target you lost. Otherwise you are in danger of changing something or everything for no reason then were in digging a deep hole territory. The above of course is assuming that your technique is sound. If you continue with a downward cycle of low scores then you prob have a specific problem if its a one off or irregular then accept your human and look forward to next weeks shoot.

If like me you cant help anylising everything make sure you do it away from the shooting ground. All only my opinion of course.

If have too much time on a clay I start to dwell and will miss it, I am way better shooting gun down on targets there is lots of time on, where I shoot we shoots all the pairs as simultaneus and I a lower my gun between birds if there is a long crosser as the second bird.

Yesterday I was closing the gun and calling pull for the first bird, as I am mounting the gun,the bird appears and I am totally focused on where to place the barrels to pick it up and follow through and fire, dwelling on it makes me try and shoot maintained lead and will result in me missing. This only works with a good and well practised gunmount.

Practise your mount at home during the week, even a few minutes a day helps.

yeah i know what you mean about over analysising my performance, i have up until yesterday never kept a score card but from now on i intend to keep one every time i shoot and make a note of which targets i am struggling with, that way when i do book a lesson i have a list of things that need looking into rather than having to think about it during the lesson

In target shooting we are always encouraged to keep a shooting diary which would help with the above.

So you would record date, date, competition, venue, score, weather, which gun, what chokes, what cartridges and what you shot well, what you missed, how you felt and anything relevant. Lots of settings to record on a rifle and was useful to look back at what worked well in certain conditions and what you might try to do better next time etc.

Anyone on the world class funding programme would be expected to keep something prescribed like this to be able to report back to coaches, performance director etc.

Back