Clay Pigeon Routine

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newyork0900

Hi,

I have applied for my shotgun license and am just waiting (what feels like a long long time).  I have had 4 lessons and am looking forward to getting really stuck into CP shooting, with my own gun.

I was wondering if people could tell what is the general routine when making your way around each station? Is it similar to golf as far as you start off at hole 1 and move on in order or can you pick and choose which stand you go on? I assume this is based on your preference to Skeet, Trap or Sporting?

Thank you advance for the clarification.

Last edited by a moderator:
For Sporting practice , you can do what you want ,shoot some stands all stands , just one stand etc  , although since Covid came along some grounds have instituted a one way system and time on site limits .  For practice on skeet /trap/ compak layouts if you’re the only one on you can do what you want , but as you’re new to the game it would be beneficial to start on station 1 and shoot the rotation just to get the feel of it . 

Most decent shooting grounds have a Clay Mate system  . Get someone to show you how to use it properly for self practice . 

Hi,

I have applied for my shotgun license and am just waiting (what feels like a long long time).  I have had 4 lessons and am looking forward to getting really stuck into CP shooting, with my own gun.

I was wondering if people could tell what is the general routine when making your way around each station? Is it similar to golf as far as you start off at hole 1 and move on in order or can you pick and choose which stand you go on? I assume this is based on your preference to Skeet, Trap or Sporting?

Thank you advance for the clarification.
I can't speak for Sporting as I don't shoot it however as far as Trap's concerned, events are shot over a minimum of two layouts although more often four. Competitors will generally start on the first layout and make their way down the ground shooting each in sequence. For larger events there may be up to 16 layouts, separated into four banks of four. You will nominate your bank and those you shoot alongside when booking on.

For practice targets it's a little more informal depending upon the ground and whether the targets are being shot in preparation for a competition. If they are you'll probably find competitors will want to shoot the same layouts they'll be shooting for score.

If in doubt, ask either your fellow competitors or ground staff, they'll gladly explain what's what.

For Sporting practice , you can do what you want ,shoot some stands all stands , just one stand etc  , although since Covid came along some grounds have instituted a one way system and time on site limits .  For practice on skeet /trap/ compak layouts if you’re the only one on you can do what you want , but as you’re new to the game it would be beneficial to start on station 1 and shoot the rotation just to get the feel of it . 

Most decent shooting grounds have a Clay Mate system  . Get someone to show you how to use it properly for self practice . 
Thanks. I thought that would be the case, but just wondered  what other people do. I suppose those you don’t go for competitions just do sporting and shoot just for the general pleasure.

I can't speak for Sporting as I don't shoot it however as far as Trap's concerned, events are shot over a minimum of two layouts although more often four. Competitors will generally start on the first layout and make their way down the ground shooting each in sequence. For larger events there may be up to 16 layouts, separated into four banks of four. You will nominate your bank and those you shoot alongside when booking on.

For practice targets it's a little more informal depending upon the ground and whether the targets are being shot in preparation for a competition. If they are you'll probably find competitors will want to shoot the same layouts they'll be shooting for score.

If in doubt, ask either your fellow competitors or ground staff, they'll gladly explain what's what.
I see what you mean, I was looking more towards Sporting, but I think that is because I have just started out and after some time may move to trap or skeet. Thanks for the guidance.

I'll weigh in on my preference: Skeet is a pretty good basis to acquire and hone your skills that will serve well in other disciplines. Sit and watch a few rounds, then ask if you someone can show you the ropes. As there is a set order from station one onwards, and 7 stations (in Sporting skeet, that is, there's 8 in Olympic) there is little to get confused about. All the more opportunity to focus on one's shooting. You shoot 25 clays, either from the high house, low house or both as a pair. Don't worry about speed and forget about pairs when you start out, that'll come once you get the hang of it. Once you do, try the Olympic skeet discipline if you want to challenge yourself. Keeping score is easy and as it's the same layout everywhere, so is tracking progress.   

Shooting lots of Skeet has definitely helped me a lot to be a much better sporting clays shooter. Just get someone, instructor/ experienced shooter, tot help you. I think usually they will let you shoot at the incoming targets first. Later also on the going away targets. Then also pairs. 

My guess would be start off with skeet you will have all the angles.incomers and going away targets..

Thanks. I thought that would be the case, but just wondered  what other people do. I suppose those you don’t go for competitions just do sporting and shoot just for the general pleasure.

I see what you mean, I was looking more towards Sporting, but I think that is because I have just started out and after some time may move to trap or skeet. Thanks for the guidance.
With regard to sporting under normal circumstances (pre-Covid) you can shoot the stands in any order, often the natural order will be stand 1 closest to the club house so you may naturally shoot that first, however if everyone is starting at the same time you might want to skip a stand or three to avoid the crowds or perhaps start on the last stand and work round in reverse. 

With regard to sporting under normal circumstances (pre-Covid) you can shoot the stands in any order, often the natural order will be stand 1 closest to the club house so you may naturally shoot that first, however if everyone is starting at the same time you might want to skip a stand or three to avoid the crowds or perhaps start on the last stand and work round in reverse. 
I think the main route for most new beginners is to get to the point where you are confident in shooting the clays. When you’ve reached that point, you are in a better position to choose which discipline, wether it’s for competition or just for general pleasure.

Prior to Covid even at registered competitions you could pick and choose the order of the stands you shot. Most grounds are implementing some sort of one way system now and would prefer that you go round 'in order' and stick to the queue.

Latest posts

Back