Pre mount vs gun down

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

move-mount-miss

Looking at different techniques at the moment and I'm interested in people's views and opinions on gun down or pre mounted for sporting.

At the British Open I was the only one in my squad attempting to shoot gun down and noticed as I walked around most seemed gun up.

I'm not asking for advice as I will speak to a coach for that just interested in your personal preferences and opinions.

From my small experience ,pre mount when necessary due to target presentation (very small window to acquire target , very fast going away etc) shoot gun down for everything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
I shoot pre-mount, but not with my eye sighting down the barrel if that makes sense - the exception to this being straight going-away.

I would guess that many other people do the same - it lets you have both eyes open and really track the clay before focussing on the clay down the gun.

means you get the advantage of gun down (better visibility) but none of the stress over the mount

Gun up at sporting, gives me a little more time to acquire the target and concentrate on it.  My gun mount is inconsistent, so why make it more difficult than it already is?  IMHO 

Seeing as this is just about opinions ...isn't pre mounting kind of detracting from the skill..there is a real pleasure in the art of watching the target ,judging the lead and then shouldering the gun for that small period before you shoot..

What's the term...oh yeh..just sayin...

Whatever you find easiest and suits your particular style for the presentation.

Simple answer you should use both techniques in sporting, gun down in fitasc unless you are french :)

Trick is knowing which technique to use on each target presented

Seeing as this is just about opinions ...isn't pre mounting kind of detracting from the skill..there is a real pleasure in the art of watching the target ,judging the lead and then shouldering the gun for that small period before you shoot..

What's the term...oh yeh..just sayin...
The real pleasure is in having a few more on the score card than you might otherwise have. Do what it takes people! Show me somebody who doesn't care about the score and I'll show you somebody who can't shoot well..

Gun up all the time doesn't suit ESP, if it did there'd be at least one top flight shooter doing it. There's a helluva lot going for the gun slightly out of the shoulder, your field of vision is far greater, it lets you see the bird early, the brain can automatically gauge the line and speed, you can use the mounting process to keep track and decide on the tempo or lead and dropping it out of the shoulder looking for the second bird is the perfect reset to treat it as a separate bird plus it avoids the recoil from upsetting the rib/eye relationship without you realising. Clays that are visible for a long time prior to being shot are also best shot gun down.

Gun up can be very useful for going away type of clays so you must have it in your armoury.

Have always shot gun down from my first shot to the point I found it odd (and still do) to shoot gun up when needed. Although it is needed on some targets as already stated. 

I started shooting last year and was shooting everything gun up . After a day with Gebben Miles I now shoot gun down . I do bottle out occasionally on fast targets .Please bear in mind I have only a couple of months experience of gun down , but I find I have more time on the clay(s) and a much better sight of them too. I wouldn't go back .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Gun down for everything. I started game/rough shooting before clays so gun down was always a starting point.

I've tried gun up but it just does not work for me. My mount is part of my swing no matter what the target is doing. On non-simultaneous pairs I will always drop the gun and re-mount for the second target. If I had to keep the gun in the shoulder (for example pairs at Olympic Skeet, and only because it is so fast) I struggle to find the correct line and target speed as I'm forced to behave like a turret. I rarely shoot Olympic Skeet for this reason.

To me, gun up is Ok for the fixed disciplines but just not "Sporting" for Sporting, and something I have chosen to do without.

I have tried gun up for trap disciplines but do better from a gun down start (DTL of course, for fast trap there really isn't time, which is why I avoid it like the plague!) :biggrin:

Thanks for your replies gentlemen. I was in the Hammy camp but have come to realise that gun up seems to be in the majority even amongst top shots. Whatever works best for the individual I suppose. I tried shooting gun up at practice last night and it is a bit like brushing my teeth left handed except I didn't hurt my gums. Once again I appreciate your input.

In a running race, it's best to start with your laces undone. When you hear the starter pistol, getting working on tieing them in a graceful manner. You will have a really good relationship with your shoes by the time you get going. :)

Latest posts

Back