Practical Shotgun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have no wish to run around pretending i am swat,watched a few videos and doesn't appeal to me.

of the people i know that are tempted by it they seem to equate it with some sort of combat,personally it feels like the same people who love paintball/airsoft.

i have seen a variety of competitions and know that not everybody is running around in camo playing soldiers,a stereoptype created by the americans i guess.

but impressions are just that and most peoples first impressions stick with them for instance my first memory of seeing PSG is people running round shooting people shaped targets...now although i know they aren't used anymore it is still the first image that comes into my mind when i think of it.

i am a shooter so how would the general public perceive it ?
I genuinely don't know where to start with this...

it amazes me that in this day and age the shooting fraternity doesn't realise that its high time we stopped stereotyping fellow shooters through badly formed opinions of what they do within their chosen sport. isn't that exactly what happened with regards to the handgun ban?

I don't know of ONE single person who shoots PSG who runs around pretending to be swat, nor do any of them like paintball or airsoft.

I do, however, know plenty of people that enjoy participating in a sport that requires precision, speed and attention to detail.

when it comes to the general public, its boils back down to the very same thing as comes with clay pigeon shooting. education.

a younger, modern generation of shooter is coming in and shooting sports are evolving, its high time we accepted it and supported each others choices.

who needs anti's when we are doing a good enough job of pulling apart our own from the inside?

Brett, the key to all this is in the title of this site - its clay shooting. I mean, even game shooters look down their nose at us! What chance do you have with 'PSG'?

I'm not a massive fan of PSG (either the pasttime or the French football team) - and the focus of this site is primarily about clay shooting. 

If PSG have a forum - it might be discussed there, or if enough people wanted one, I could create a tucked away subforum. 

For now - I'm moving this to the Cocktail Lounge. 

I don't see what the fuss I about. Its just another discipline and as such if we as shooters cannot respect another's right to shoot whatever floats there boat then we are in deep sh*te. Look what happened to practical pistol and all other handgun disciplines. There is no difference that I can see between the publics perception of psg and sporting shooters in cammo with cartridge belts and a blue auto. That is not a dig at sporting just trying to put it into perspective.

I don't see what the fuss I about. Its just another discipline and as such if we as shooters cannot respect another's right to shoot whatever floats there boat then we are in deep sh*te. Look what happened to practical pistol and all other handgun disciplines. There is no difference that I can see between the publics perception of psg and sporting shooters in cammo with cartridge belts and a blue auto. That is not a dig at sporting just trying to put it into perspective.
totally agree

Unfortunately me old mate you are right as usual! The non shooting public have no idea about shooting or shooters! They either see us as part of the landed gentry or as would be rambo types.

i respect anybodies right to do what they want within the law this doesn't mean i have to like it,want to do it or even have to agree it is a good idea

i would still support them if they were under threat of being legislated against as i would any form of shooting,but this won't change my brains go to image of PSG which is pop up people targets even though they are not used anymore.

as for  blue auto's i have one and don't really see how the colouring affects public perception unless it was camo and the military connection..i also have a red one and a black one ;)

as for cartridge belts i have to say i dislike them cumbersome awkward things and they generally seem to be worn by people who can't shoot for sh*t but think they look good or are trying to project an image of something they saw..only saw one yesterday.

i know you have a bit of an obsession with camo but i went to 2 club shoots yesterday over 400 people and don't think i saw more than a couple of woodland camouflage coats and i believe its on the no go list for cpsa shoots,please correct me if i am wrong

is it really a massive thing in your part of the country?

not saying cammo is widespread and neither am I too fussed about blue autos merely making a point that the public percieve many types of dress and styles of gun as being Rambo type as my learned friend les eluded too.

not saying cammo is widespread and neither am I too fussed about blue autos merely making a point that the public percieve many types of dress and styles of gun as being Rambo type as my learned friend les eluded too.
here's Rambo. Famous for his knife. Never seen him use a blue 10 shot auto. 

Never seen anyone look like this at a shoot.

Mind you Will Hewland comes close ?

image.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Think some of you are getting confused with Paintball & Airsoft?  :wink:

I shoot PSG when i'm not shooting clays. It's a shotgun sport but I wouldn't say it is comparable to the clay sports as it is a 'timed discipline' where gun handling skill and the ability to hit targets quickly and precisely win the day. 

Its no more expensive (in fact I find it cheaper) to shoot than clays, after the initial outlay needed for a belt/shell holders. No special equipment is needed. Have never seen it shot with a gun costing more than 2k (unlike when we snob it around the grounds with our expensive o/u's). It can be shot with a sect 2 semi, pump or even an o/u if you really wanted too, so is open to anybody wanting a go. This would seriously put you at a disadvantage competition wise but the enjoyment factor will be the same.

I am not an aspiring Rambo, neither is anyone else i've seen shoot it. Camo/military clothing is not allowed at any shoots I have ever attended. Have seen more camo worn by plonkers around clay shoots/grounds.

There are more safety procedures and gun discipline involved in a PSG shoot than you will ever see at a clay shoot. When shooting, shooters are not allowed any movement with the finger inside the trigger guard and if this happens then they get DQ'd and sent home for dangerous conduct. If the gun moves outside a certain arc of fire then you get DQ'd etc. When a shooter is on the course there is a Range Officer glued to your shoulder all the way around watching you like a hawk.

IPSC shooting has a massive following around the world (some would argue more than the clay sports), it's just due to the restrictive laws of our land it can't be run at its fullest here in the UK. Some people need to get off their uninformed arses and go attend a PSG shoot. I can't believe there are shooters out there with such bigoted opinions of other shooting disciplines willing to put something else down just because they don't like it. I don't particularly agree with the tweed wearing idiots who go shooting game for fun, but I would never put them down or say a bad word against them doing it. We moan about public perception of the shooting sports but we are probably our own worst enemy. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well thats all very nice for you and I hope you have a great time with your chosen sport. We shoot clays.

So do I as I said. Its something to do through the winter when the international/Opens are all over and done with  :)

Now now Ian... PSG is actually requires a lot of skill, a friend of mine used to do it and it looked a great deal of fun. Clays is the first choice but sometimes a little variety can't hurt.

Absolutely!!  The Really Bad News is that those feeling of the public are near universal.  Seems like in the US all the shooters are quickly coming to be mass murderers looking for a grade school that has the right look.

The black gun guys don't make that any easier for the rest BUT the practical shooters here have some courses of fire that are monsters.  There may be some posers in there but the skills are not play.

Now now Ian... PSG is actually requires a lot of skill, a friend of mine used to do it and it looked a great deal of fun. Clays is the first choice but sometimes a little variety can't hurt.
Please feel free to follow whichever sport takes your fancy. Personally, I think it has very little to do with using shotguns and if they were using anything else we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Back