Ported Barrels

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
40up

as we cant find anything on any searches to confirm can you put us out of our misery and tell us when 24g came in ?

Try my gun if we ever meet. The bottom barrel is ported and the top one isn't (didn't have the £s years ago to get it done!)

Muzzle flip I can't tell the difference, but I do notice less recoil. Hardly scientific but just my experience
I had an old spec 682 ported years ago in both barrels, it definitely had an affect on lowering flip but recoil is somewhat more complex. What I can offer as an explanation is this: for a long period, perhaps as long as a year or more I got to firing the top barrel first back then, my theory was that the top barrel was more in line with rib and so should throw dead straight, stupid I know but we're talking early 90's :.: .

Anyways one day I grew brains and reverted back to reality switching to bottom barrel and boom ;) :eek: obviously less perceived flip compared to before, now this could in some sense give the impression of less actual recoil but I somehow doubt it. Yes It's true in high velocity bullet rifles and handguns porting reduces recoil but with shotguns it's as yet unproven except of course in individual experiences. :)

never shot ported myself but i Allways considered them to be a late 80s early 90s fashion trend. bit like the current high rib trend.

well i wasnt far out was i.

thanks for that been driving me mad all day.

Any form of barrel porting is OK for DTL. Ported chokes however are not allowed.

I thought this thread was going to be about two-stroke tuning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just something else to keep clean.

in this day and age of lighter/smoother loads ARE they really needed. Also, all these new fangled recoil pads/reducers, do they create more problems than they solve?

Time for another thread?

I thought this thread was going to be about two-stroke tuning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just something else to keep clean.

in this day and age of lighter/smoother loads ARE they really needed. Also, all these new fangled recoil pads/reducers, do they create more problems than they solve?

Time for another thread?
I have to say Mick, I agree with you, personally I have never had any of those new fangled things at all. I even viewed multi chokes as a skeptic and even now I still prefer fixed chokes. OK I did have a trap gun with multi chokes once and it was OK but I was forever fiddling with the things, but most of the trap shooters I know still prefer fixed chokes, fixed stocks, fixed triggers etc. ;)

Fixed everything (except adj trigger) for me.

Particularily hate muli chokes 3/4 - full for all "propper" trap IMO

Well Fuz it's not that I want ports mate, it's just that I've seen a number of guns on US sites that we can't get hold of over here. Many are used guns but also a few new ones too. They seem cheap but I guess with VAT and import tax etc they won't be! Cheers Fuz! :wink:
Hi, first post so hopefully i wont make a tit of myself! regarding import tax and VAT, i think you will find that its a bit of a grey are when you are thinking of a second hand item as a relevant local taxes will already have been paid. You may have to do a bit of digging to find the correct answer, but i have in the past been aware of a company (nothing to do with shooting) who were exporting english products, VAT free, removing them from the original sales packaging (ie box) and then importing them back into the UK, having being removed from the boxes, they were condidered second hand and thus 17.5% cheaper at the time (pre 20% tax increase). I believe HMRC tried to put a stop to this, but not sure if you can get round it with a genuine second hand product.

hope this helps

Andy

Also think you have to have it re-proofed in a uk proofhouse if you want to sell it on

Also think you have to have it re-proofed in a uk proofhouse if you want to sell it on
Correct, but only if selling on privately, it becomes the responsibility of the dealer if chopped in.

I have two ported guns, one factory Beretta and one aftermarket a ProPorted MT-6, and have had several others in the past. AFAIC they are w/out any benefit, noisy and a PITA to clean. Very unlikely that I'll have another. IIRC the current rule is no ports more than 20cm from muzzle.

And AFAIC the release trigger prohibition is total BS. They were legal for a couple decades and suddenly they are dangerous?!?!?! I used them for 20yrs or so and never had a problem. I am weaning myself of them but that is for purely economic reasons as the conversion cost is no longer worth it to me. I suspect that if there were more release providers in Europe they would be just way OK. AFAIK only Kreighoff has a factory release and who would want to have to shoot one of those things?

I'm not sure what advantage it would be to any of you to go to the trouble to have an American made gun. The overwhelming majority of shooters here use foreign guns. But WTF? the grass is always greener, eh?

Charlie

I have two ported guns, one factory Beretta and one aftermarket a ProPorted MT-6, and have had several others in the past. AFAIC they are w/out any benefit, noisy and a PITA to clean. Very unlikely that I'll have another. IIRC the current rule is no ports more than 20cm from muzzle.
And AFAIC the release trigger prohibition is total BS. They were legal for a couple decades and suddenly they are dangerous?!?!?! I used them for 20yrs or so and never had a problem. I am weaning myself of them but that is for purely economic reasons as the conversion cost is no longer worth it to me. I suspect that if there were more release providers in Europe they would be just way OK. AFAIK only Kreighoff has a factory release and who would want to have to shoot one of those things?

I'm not sure what advantage it would be to any of you to go to the trouble to have an American made gun. The overwhelming majority of shooters here use foreign guns. But WTF? the grass is always greener, eh?

Charlie
I understand what you mean about release triggers, but your obviously an experienced chap. The thought of some shooters I know, turning up to shoot alongside me with release triggers would turn me white!!

Back