Perazzi choke - sense check please

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First thing I really noticed about the P was how nice the trigger is. I have a Beretta and a Browning the P trigger is just so much better. To me the P rigger is like a very, very heavy but good rifle trigger, no creep it just breaks beautifully crisply and you can get an incredibly quick second barrel from it too. Just my experience I would say the Beretta is better than the Browning it is not a real Browning though being made in Japan... nice enough gun though. 

from my experience cartridges can have quite an effect on perceived choke. Does it really matter what the math says or how many rings dimples or fractions are engraved on yer barrell or one of those removable tubes you stick in the end of yer muzzle. Surely all that matters is if the target breaks and the gun feels right in the hand.

job done.

What matters is how the targets break and whether you happen to be able to live with the margin for error. 

What matters is how the targets break and whether you happen to be able to live with the margin for error. 
Got to agree with that the other day I was breaking UT targets that were just disappearing now you have got to think that the choke is right, possible over tight, when that happens and that is a half choke. I really must pattern my gun because just now I am getting  too many near misses :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Got to agree with that the other day I was breaking UT targets that were just disappearing now you have got to think that the choke is right, possible over tight, when that happens and that is a half choke. I really must pattern my gun because just now I am getting  too many near misses :)
You are so right, in fact it raises the question '" Do I prefer 98 balls of dust or 100 chippy breaks "? I am struggling to answer that one really !      :???:

By spinning the choke tubes around in the Perazzis that have them I've noticed that by the time you get to consistently chippy breaks w/ the first barrel you're banging on close to cylinder.  Even IC at about 0.012" has a hot enough center with 24gm loads to cut a target in half.  The 3/4 - 0.030 chokes will break targets at distances far beyond my skill.  As I understand it from Mr.Winston's research in that range from 3/4 to 4/4 the percentages don't change in any significant way but the center does get hotter.  Sooooo, that would indicate to me that the fringe of the effective pattern is thinner and may make for chippy breaks but the misses are still yours.  Probably

I could be wrong on that

Back