Pattern Plate - Cartridge ? Choke testing.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
x62n2h

I am in FULL wind up mode today.

Only posted it to cause discussion .

Interesting that Alan Rhone poo poos it , but promotes the fitting of adjustable combs?

rhone fitted an adj for me on a 682 gold in 1994. From memory he was one of the first to offer such a service. He never mentioned that it would not effect my poi ?

I am in FULL wind up mode today.

Only posted it to cause discussion .

Interesting that Alan Rhone poo poos it , but promotes the fitting of adjustable combs?
Adjustable combs have many uses, just that raising POI is not one of them. 

er yes it is...

?
To be honest first you need to know why you are doing something and then judge the outcome :)  

Honestly? ... I raised my comb height by 10mm in one step... and have never noticed any adverse effect... in fact I see the target much better than before I did it... which was the suggested reason I should do it.  According to the BS diagram above my gun should have been shooting over 30cm higher than before... what a lot of absolute cack!

don't see that.

aim bead at pattern plate, shot hits the mark. Raise comb, aim at mark shot hits high. Poi now higher. Cant see how that is poa ??

Er,  no, changes  Point of aim. 
and yet you "liked" salopians diagram which concurs with me that its poi that is altered. ?

Does all this apply to the mythical average bodied shooter that all guns are made for. I have a large chest and a fairly short neck yet with every off the shelf gun I can only see the back of the top lever, even with the factory adjustable combs at the highest setting I can barely see down the rib. Prescribed notions of comb height and pitch are total pish unless you take in the shape of the shooter.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

don't see that.

aim bead at pattern plate, shot hits the mark. Raise comb, aim at mark shot hits high. Poi now higher. Cant see how that is poa ??

and yet you "liked" salopians diagram which concurs with me that its poi that is altered. ?
Well, in a way, both are connected, all this conjecture is almost irrelevant to  a shotgun because it has a shot spread, and a limited range,which  for practical purposes is about 60 yards with at least a 4 foot spread. 

however with a rifle it is fair to say that because of the trajectory of a bullet over 200 yards or so point of aim affects where the bullet strikes, which is the point of impact. try a shot at bisley with a Gibbs black powder rifle over 900 yards, you will be "aiming" about 12 foot or so off the line of sight.

i know, we not on about rifles,  but this is relevant if you missed it.  

http://www.browning.com/news/tech-terms/point-of-impact.html    

e

don't see that.

Em I don't see it that way Ian.

Take the situation of two identical targets thrown one after the other. If you shoot them at exactly the same point in their flight the point of impact remains the same... but if the comb is raised during the time the second of the two targets being thrown the point of impact remains exactly as it was before the change of comb height BUT to hit the target you must shoot the gun at a different point in time. That is for me at least why I do not see changing the height of the comb having an effect on the point of impact... or for that matter point of aim.,, simply because I do not aim my shot it take place at a point in time which I deem my barrels to be pointing in the right direction to hit the target flying across the sky. Just my way of thinking about what I do others may be entirely different in their approach and understanding of what they are doing. However I will repeat IF the targets are broken at exactly the same point in the targets trajectory how could the point of impact possibly have changed?

will have to agree to disagree on this one.

regards

will have to agree to disagree on this one.

regards
Sorry Ian you cannot logically disagree with that. If you shot and hit two flying objects which are in exactly the same position when struck with successive shots from the same position the point of impact has remained the same regardless of anything else. By definition you have hit exactly the same point... you can of course choose to ignore a fact :)  

john with respect I choose not too continue with this debate.

kind regards

Isn't anyone going to tell poor salop s that his plan, taping paper together and shooting at "30 or 40 yards" to do this:

"I would like to see what patterns I am getting in my two shotguns with different cartridges and chokes so am starting to look into this."

Will never work out? Way too many variables, no way to decide what he's "looking at" and far, far too ambitious. He has to start with one gun, one choke, one cartridge and shoot enough shots - let's say 10 - just with that setup to even get a taste of how much patterns differ when nothing else does and realize that you can't tell anything looking at patterns anyway.

Jezek

Latest posts

Back