Pattern Plate - Cartridge ? Choke testing.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally,

I think Salop Sniper has enough intelligence to work things out for himself .

Nothing was ever gained by lack of endeavour or experiment .

Obviously we can all act like Sheep and when one says something or does something we can all follow blindly without any idea or reason , rather than work things out for ourselves .

Em I don't see it that way Ian.

Take the situation of two identical targets thrown one after the other. If you shoot them at exactly the same point in their flight the point of impact remains the same... but if the comb is raised during the time the second of the two targets being thrown the point of impact remains exactly as it was before the change of comb height BUT to hit the target you must shoot the gun at a different point in time. That is for me at least why I do not see changing the height of the comb having an effect on the point of impact... or for that matter point of aim.,, simply because I do not aim my shot it take place at a point in time which I deem my barrels to be pointing in the right direction to hit the target flying across the sky. Just my way of thinking about what I do others may be entirely different in their approach and understanding of what they are doing. However I will repeat IF the targets are broken at exactly the same point in the targets trajectory how could the point of impact possibly have changed?
This proves ian's point. The poi required to break the 2nd clay remains the same so if you point the gun at the same place as the 1st clay you could miss above. You as the shooter change your poa.

I have ignored this thread since its inception.  I knew exactly what would be said.  Ian, Les, et al with likewise opinions - rational logical discussion on these topics is beyond the ability of far the majority of shooters.  You should know that by now and just not bother trying.  John - shame on you.

to the others:

just because you think it doesn't make it real

just because you believe it doesn't make it true

that goes for HPX too

Decide what you want in terms of point of aim - where do you focus your eyes to hit the target

Adjust the comb height to bring the pattern onto the target when you use your chosen point of aim.

TabA/Slot B

and 1/16" can make the difference between mostly smoke and all smoke

I'm often really happy that I didn't have to accommodate English shooting coaches when I was learning 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have ignored this thread since its inception.  I knew exactly what would be said.  Ian, Les, et al with likewise opinions - rational logical discussion on these topics is beyond the ability of far the majority of shooters.  You should know that by now and just not bother trying.  John - shame on you.

to the others:

just because you think it doesn't make it real

just because you believe it doesn't make it true

that goes for HPX too

Decide what you want in terms of point of aim - where do you focus your eyes to hit the target

Adjust the comb height to bring the pattern onto the target when you use your chosen point of aim.

TabA/Slot B

and 1/16" can make the difference between mostly smoke and all smoke

I'm often really happy that I didn't have to accommodate English shooting coaches when I was learning 
Don't go with that at all Charlie but hey everybody sees things differently I suppose. The 1/16th" you put in for a laugh though? The growth of my facial hair can make that difference over a few weeks :lol:

For my part I don't look at my gun when I shoot therefore I probably have a different take on it. For the record I shoot with a guy who does not even put his head on the stock when he shoulders his gun to shoot and he shoots with his gun dead level at the start of his setup figure that one out ... and he is a great shot too... but he knows where his gun is pointing when he takes his shot.

Whether you look at the gun or not is immaterial - your body/brain knows where it is just like swinging a bat or kicking/catching a ball.  You know that.  Changing your relationship to that system (changing comb height) changes where the pattern goes.  If you play tennis shorten the racket handle by 4-5 inches and see how that goes.

AFA adjustments go I do use 1/16" spacers.  I set the comb where I think it works fine on the plate (static situation) and then vary that up and down by using the 1/16" spacers to get it where I am happy with it shooting targets (a dynamic situation).  For me, Perazzis with a center bed usually shoot 60/40 with the beads touching.  I have a couple with really low but not flat ribs where that does not apply.  Rib height is meaningless to me so long as I can see over it and make the gun shoot where I look.

Works for me but I'm talent challenged so that's all FWIW - you're on your own    :thumbsu:

Latest posts

Back