Pain in the neck.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to hear that you will be getting a scan.  That should show the severity of the problem and a consultant will be able to tell you what can be done about it.  I hope that there is not a waiting list so you can get sorted out soon.  The pain is very debilitating.  I ended up with nerve damage and a loss of feeling in my leg which has left me with an ever so slight limp but that's a lot better than having to endure the awful sciatica from the hip down to the foot.
​Thanks Robert, one problem that I have, is an 'old war wound'.   I have dislocated my right shoulder twice during my years at work. I was asked yesterday if I could feel it 'grating' when I was able to rotate it, the answer to which was "yes". Problem is I am now unable to rotate the shoulder and lifting my right arm above shoulder height is impossible. So I need to work on getting a degree of mobility back as well as reducing the pain.

​Thanks Robert, one problem that I have, is an 'old war wound'.   I have dislocated my right shoulder twice during my years at work. I was asked yesterday if I could feel it 'grating' when I was able to rotate it, the answer to which was "yes". Problem is I am now unable to rotate the shoulder and lifting my right arm above shoulder height is impossible. So I need to work on getting a degree of mobility back as well as reducing the pain.
I'll be interested to know what they find on the MRI. The grating and reduced range can indicate wear and tear i.e. Osteoarthritis however the X-Ray should also be able to highlight that.

Good luck and please let me know how you get on.

Nick

I'll be interested to know what they find on the MRI. The grating and reduced range can indicate wear and tear i.e. Osteoarthritis however the X-Ray should also be able to highlight that.

Good luck and please let me know how you get on.

Nick
​Thanks Nick, I now have a date for early June for the scan. I will keep you informed.

Hope you get sorted Keith I have bad shoulder and neck as well as the sciatica so I know what it's like 
+1

Booked in for my next round of surgery on my back next Thursday ?

Hopefully I'll be relatively pain free for a while at least ?

Hi All and Westley  lve only just picked up on this subject "Pain in the neck" I must say reading the posts it reads like an episode of Casualty

As some of you may recall from previous posts I had quite a operation on my shoulder in January and am well on the mend now and will have a tentative try at shooting in the next week or so 

Westley you're symptoms seem similar  to mine I went for an MRI scan December last year after which the surgeon informed that I had damaged my collar bone many years ago and have sufferd neck and shoulder  pain since .I had also torn  ligaments and tendons to be quite honest my shoulder was a mess.

But these days Westley  thay have the technology to build us back up so you don't have to be on the scrap heap just yet!!☺

So chear up Westley you're not finished yet

Dave 

Hydro therapy worked for me with a trapped nerve in my back, go swimming now and again always feel better afterwards. Worth a try, even if you can't swim just lay there.

Hydro therapy worked for me with a trapped nerve in my back, go swimming now and again always feel better afterwards. Worth a try, even if you can't swim just lay there.
​Hydro is a great treatment for many conditions\problems..... I'm lucky as I get to go in the pool twice a week for 2 hours at a time with my patients. I do all my exercises in there at the same time as them... 

However, Hydro is not always possible on the NHS and can be expensive if going private but like you have said, getting in any pool can have benefits. The only thing you don't get in the swimming pool is the warm water but once you have warmed up a bit, you can do all the same exercises in a swimming pool.

Thanks again Guys, I am at Hospital again week after next. Just a slight case of 'House Move' to get over first though.

Thanks again Guys, I am at Hospital again week after next. Just a slight case of 'House Move' to get over first though.
Good luck with the hospital bit ?

I'm reasonably mobile and we'll on the mend so your turn now mate ?

Well, the latest update. I have an appointment for a steroid injection and then a course of physio. If that fails, it is looking like an Op. As I have not fired a gun in over 2 months, I propose to try the local 50 birder this weekend. I have been doing some exercise like crawling under the floorboards replacing some of the heating pipes, which strangely enough, has eased the pain a bit,..............until I stop ?  I have been practising lifting and lowering the gun to and from the shoulder. I normally shoot with my right elbow more or less at right angles to my body, but by lowewring the elbow it seems to lessen the ache a bit. We shall see. I thank you Guys for the support, it really is appreciated. W.

Hope it all goes well Westley, just keep doing the physio. I'm still 4 months away from being allowed to shoot but it is getting better slowly but surely.

good to hear keith. Hope you get through the shoot without too much pain. Naproxen that's what you want ask your tame GP.

good to hear keith. Hope you get through the shoot without too much pain. Naproxen that's what you want ask your tame GP.
I did have those Ian, but they caused such stomach irritation that I had to stop taking them. After stopping them, I was having to contact the River Mersey Coastguard to warn shipping before I went to the loo !

oh well scotch is my only other suggestion

Well, the latest update. I have an appointment for a steroid injection and then a course of physio. If that fails, it is looking like an Op. As I have not fired a gun in over 2 months, I propose to try the local 50 birder this weekend. I have been doing some exercise like crawling under the floorboards replacing some of the heating pipes, which strangely enough, has eased the pain a bit,..............until I stop ?  I have been practising lifting and lowering the gun to and from the shoulder. I normally shoot with my right elbow more or less at right angles to my body, but by lowewring the elbow it seems to lessen the ache a bit. We shall see. I thank you Guys for the support, it really is appreciated. W.
Best of luck with the physio. Just make sure you do the exercises as prescribed......

Best of luck with the physio. Just make sure you do the exercises as prescribed......
Thanks Nick, I will try and stick with the exercises. Problem is, having recently moved house I am not getting much chance to rest the shoulder. Still, see how it goes this weekend. K.

Back