Orange clays in the sky.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosso

Shot Southdown today. Plenty of Orange clays in the sky. Sky was bright cloudy grey and heavy rain.

Had a real problem seeing these. I have tried all the Pilla orange, red, pink lenses, yellow make them worse.

Is it just me or do others have problems seeing these? Is there a colour lens that makes them easier to see?

Why do shoots put orange clays in the sky anyway?

I struggle too.Yellow lenses sometimes help but a lot depends on the sky.

Must have been the light Rosso 

the orange ones sat were fine to see and I usually struggle with these 

it was the black ones up in the sky were hard to see sat 

Cost me at least 10 today. Orange mini in the sky was the worst, managed to hit one and that was luck. Tried every lens last time still hard to see. Just can't see them where I want to shoot them. 

Must have been the light Rosso 

the orange ones sat were fine to see and I usually struggle with these 

it was the black ones up in the sky were hard to see sat 
not in the afternoon m8 ???? recon it cost me 4-5 coming back up the right hand side of the track , even worst when they show some black  as well ...dont see the point of orange into the open sky ?? by all means into backgrounds !! but as Rosso says not everybody sees orange against blue/grey , plenty of other colours available, so why do it ?? 

Shot Southdown today. Plenty of Orange clays in the sky. Sky was bright cloudy grey and heavy rain.

Had a real problem seeing these. I have tried all the Pilla orange, red, pink lenses, yellow make them worse.

Is it just me or do others have problems seeing these? Is there a colour lens that makes them easier to see?

Why do shoots put orange clays in the sky anyway?
I have trouble with orange when thrown edge on against tree lines but have to admit no trouble seeing any of their orange ones today including the mini. My only criticism regarding visibility is if you're going to throw rabbits which are erratic anyway, then why hide them behind a ridge line as well, :???:  a bit unfair if you're not 7' tall.

Also though not a criticism, why waste an exotic and expensive orange battue and present it as an easy going away ? 

I have trouble with orange when thrown edge on against tree lines but have to admit no trouble seeing any of their orange ones today including the mini. My only criticism regarding visibility is if you're going to throw rabbits which are erratic anyway, then why hide them behind a ridge line as well, :???:  a bit unfair if you're not 7' tall.

Also though not a criticism, why waste an exotic and expensive orange battue and present it as an easy going away ? 
They saved a bit of money with that battue as I missed one of them, so they can go and get it out of the field and use it again if they wish.

I didn't struggle to pick the orange ones up but what Rosso says makes sense.

Had the same issue yesterday and can't say that I have noticed it before. I tried yellow, vermillion, purple and the dark grey in my Ranger RE's, they all worked against the dark background but only the yellow (too bright to be honest in the sky) seemed to work in the air, and only found that out late in the day on the mini teal which all ended in puffs of black smoke using Muller 2 choke and Fiocchi 8.5 Sporting. The right to left report crosser on Stand 1 in particular caused me grief - only saw it last minute as it curved below the bank and dropping like a stone.

Apart from that, didn't think the shoot was too difficult in distance but some pretty deceptive angles on the close stuff caught me out big time - have become pretty used to giving a fair amount of forward allowance at these shoots nowadays resulting in far too much lead on many occasions yesterday. Need to turn auto pilot off more hahaha.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would seem that some were able to see the targets whilst others struggled. I once had a similar problem and having heard all of the complaints (excuses), I simply changed every other trap column with black for orange clays, based on the principle of "at least you can hit 50%".    er,  WRONG ! Still plenty were missed. Clays can be ordered in a variety of colours, but I do not believe the 'all round' clay exists. A bit like the 'magic gun' really !

Quite why someone hasn't marketed a half black half orange  :D  we'll never know, surely the spinning flashmeister appearance will suit all tastes/backgrounds ? 

Perhaps some flashing LED attachment is the answer as they seem to be appearing everywhere ( toungue planted firmly in cheek).....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back