oil or grease

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You lot make me want to shoot one just to understand what the difference is......,
Try before you buy! My mate bought one without trying it and has almost quit shooting now as scores have plummeted. A good AA shot I know also bought one and despite vowing to give it a year, I keep seeing him out with his old Beretta. I borrowed my old one back and couldn't hit anything close. I know that in the right hands they are legend, but it is a different toy.

Sorry to hijack the thread..

Try before you buy! My mate bought one without trying it and has almost quit shooting now as scores have plummeted. A good AA shot I know also bought one and despite vowing to give it a year, I keep seeing him out with his old Beretta. I borrowed my old one back and couldn't hit anything close. I know that in the right hands they are legend, but it is a different toy.

Sorry to hijack the thread..
well i did try before i buyed!! my brother was off to buy one from mid wales shooting ground so i went for a ride,the good thing about mid wales is he has a good selection of guns in his shop which is set in its own shooting ground so you can try before you buy,so my bro had a 30" and a 3" to try,so i tagged along and we shot 100 or so sporting etc,both shot well,went back in shop and we ended up buying one each,so turned into an expensive ride for me, shot ok with it sometimes other days couldn,t hit a bloody thing,final straw went to a ground i shoot from time to time where a rabbit appears from a trap behind a bush and rapidly disapeared behind another bush,(very short window) couldn,t get on em before they disapeared,yet with my berretta i could shoot em half way accross. think you need to adopt a different style with the k guns, ambusing targets etc which isn,t really my style of shooting, i know there,s many top shots that shoot them very well but they could shoot any gun very well,not slagging them off just not for me,or my bro who got rid of his shortly after aswell

I shot mine for a year or so, then one day at the s x s shoot at EJC realised that the sxs was better on some targets! Hence my quest for a more moveable gun. Tried the P of the chief instructor, did OK. Then borrowed a P at RBSS for a round and did OK. Then bought mine and did OK for a week or two, then terribly. Then it came back and progress made ever since.

As I've said before, I don't think a P is special, just nice, but it does nothing strange and I am used to it now.

Seems the camp is split in half so i stick with my oil and my 26yr old oiley rag.

Re-k guns i think they are predominantly made for ata and therefore cross over nicely for dtl but not as suited to other disciplines, which is why you dont see many on propper trap circuit but they absolutely dominate dtl.

Seems the camp is split in half so i stick with my oil and my 26yr old oiley rag.

Re-k guns i think they are predominantly made for ata and therefore cross over nicely for dtl but not as suited to other disciplines, which is why you dont see many on propper trap circuit but they absolutely dominate dtl.
yea thought about this after i bought it,when i originally tried the k80s before we bought ours alot of the spoting targets that day were going away in some form or other and there,s no doubting they are a steady gun for going away DTL type targets

Ian, that is your opinion and Ed's & Ben's.

I don't know you but I do know the other two very well.

Both are very very good shots, but actually, so as to maintain a level playing field in Sporting they choose to shoot 'K' guns rather than the far superior Miroku MK38 chosen by far superior shots.

A Beretta 68X series will outlast practically anything if kept lubed. Grease for hinge pins, forend metal and locking lugs (occasionally); oil for the ejectors and cocking rods (very occasionally). Every 2 or 3,000 shells pop out the ejectors and clean the channels and spring holes, a drop of oil for the top lever and a dab of grease on the barrel lug and forend latch. Have it serviced every 100K shells.

p.s. Keep WD40 a long way away from the internals of the action.

Ian, that is your opinion and Ed's & Ben's.I don't know you but I do know the other two very well.

Both are very very good shots, but actually, so as to maintain a level playing field in Sporting they choose to shoot 'K' guns rather than the far superior Miroku MK38 chosen by far superior shots.
Don't know how to take that comment, I chose a K80 because I wanted one, don't profess to be any good with it, just like I can drive but I'm no Jenson Button!

Each to his own I suppose, the world would be a boring place were we all the same, my wife thinks her Berretta is the best in the world, I personally don't like it, nor do I like MK38's!

Apologies for having an opinion but I thought that's what forums were for?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ian of course you are allowed an opinion, the more the merrier, I didn't mean to infer you were not as good as the other two herberts, I was just having a pop at their very very poor taste in guns. In Jest of course. You have a 'K' gun because you like them and wanted one, they have them because they don't know any better. Sorry I cannot post emoticons to show I am only teasing.

Ian of course you are allowed an opinion, the more the merrier, I didn't mean to infer you were not as good as the other two herberts, I was just having a pop at their very very poor taste in guns. In Jest of course. You have a 'K' gun because you like them and wanted one, they have them because they don't know any better. Sorry I cannot post emoticons to show I am only teasing.
But your right, I'm not and prob never will be as good :)

Don't worry, no offence taken, takes more to upset me :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

A Beretta 68X series will outlast practically anything if kept lubed. Grease for hinge pins, forend metal and locking lugs (occasionally); oil for the ejectors and cocking rods (very occasionally). Every 2 or 3,000 shells pop out the ejectors and clean the channels and spring holes, a drop of oil for the top lever and a dab of grease on the barrel lug and forend latch. Have it serviced every 100K shells.

p.s. Keep WD40 a long way away from the internals of the action.
i agree with the above the only other thing i do is once a year strip out the top lever spindle and grease that.

chippy

.........wipe over the barrels with wd40 cloth after a wet shoot. or wipe over whole gun with silicone cloth after each outing.

Mick. :)
Don't use WD40 on your barrels - it will over time dull the blacking to a dark matt grey. Silicone oil is fine but if you want to uase a spray then use the Browning Legia spray.

I agree with Tom, I use Mobil 1 or when I can get it Perazzi grease.

I used to use Tetra grease but found it seemed to be hygroscopic, whenever I cleaned a gun and applied Tetra grease and stored the gun, next time I took it out of the cabinet I could see rust stains in the grease and on the knuckle. Very scary.

Cleaning regime, push dirt out of barrels with tissue paper, swab out with Clenzoil, twenty to thirty minute wait ( cup of tea, and put cartridges and kit away) clean out barrels and multichokes if used.Clean Ejectors and slides and lightly oil with 3in1, Grease knuckle, hinge pin, and hook. Re-assemble wipe off finger marks and woodwork with silicone cloth.

Strip and clean / service, at LEAST once a year.

Get your gun properly serviced at least once a year, it will reward you in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thats an old cloth,,,,, still not as old as my 1982 World Cup hanky that I use since the mincing around with airgun days. :D

Thats an old cloth,,,,, still not as old as my 1982 World Cup hanky that I use since the mincing around with airgun days. :D
ha, you win :)

Acctually I think me cloth is on its last legs as there are now a couple of holes developing.....gutted, it has served me well and will take many years to run in a new one ;)

Latest posts

Back