Nottingham & District Gun Club

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog Tyred

Well I finally got around to shooting a round of registered DTL at Notts & District Gun Club yesterday.

I must say the ground is very well organised and equipped, shooting DTL and Skeet comp on the same layouts (obviously not at the same time). Delays were absolutely minimal.

The format was 100 DTL straight through meaning 4 x 25 on 4 different layouts (and not 100 birds straight through on one layout as I wrongly thought - Doh!)

Arrived about 9.15 only to be told that the first available squad to book on would be going out about 12.30!!

Jules managed to work her magic and we jumped straight on about 9.30 (just the three of us on the squad). Make a mental note to book next time!

As there were only three of us shooting we finished each layout quicker than the full squad in front so there was a few minutes to relax, re-stock cartridges, assess dire perfromance on previous layout, etc before straight on with the next round.

4 rounds completed by about 10.30 (ish) so time for a quick cuppa and watch a few of the regulars while taking in the sunshine (wots that). Hours drive home and back in Lichfield before 12.00 (we even had to wait for the pub to open).

Do I like the straight throu format? Not really as I am used to 100 bird trap shoots taking 4 hours plus to get through with lots of time for relaxation, b.a.n.t.e.r, tea, food, etc between in each round. No real time to think, compose oneself between rounds and it was a little tiring by the fourth layout (whimp I know but my MX8 weighs 9lbs!!). If you want to turn up shoot 100 targets in an hour and then buggar off home then its great but personally I think thats a bit clinical. The straight throu format also means that if you turn up on spec you could have a very long wait before you actually shoot. I guess the locals know this and book accordingly.

The whole set up is very impressive and they have obviously invested a lot of money. Install a couple of OT layouts and it would be perfect as its not too far from home. Not having to score was another benefit of the straight through format. 

Big thanks to Jules and the team for making up newbies feel welcome and getting us slotted in to the schedule. I've no doubt we will be back.

DT

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey DT,

Really good to meet you, glad you made the effort to come up.

Really nice review, thanks very much :)

We are having a non registered ABT comp in May as part of the RAF Championships, guests are welcome to shoot and it will be done in the traditional sense of shooting in waves (except for the marking, our refs will do that).

If you fancy it let me know and I'll try and get you a nice squad :)

Either way it'd be good to see you again

J

No worries Jules. Credit where it's due.

PM me details of the ABT shoot.

When do the OT layouts go in  :thumbsu:

DT

Back