Not very busy in here?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike L

So here I am stuck offshore in the gulf of Thailand, thought I would pop in here and read about all you lucky buggers back home out on game shoots , and............ Nada, zip nothing at all!!!.

anyone got some shoots booked or anything planned?! ?

mike

Watching ducks flood into my pond tonight (all wild), they've been cleaning up 10kg of barley every night, put 20kg in today...plan to have the first go at them in two weeks :D

Watching ducks flood into my pond tonight (all wild), they've been cleaning up 10kg of barley every night, put 20kg in today...plan to have the first go at them in two weeks :D
that's cheating,,,,,, after they eat that lot they cant fly !!! 

oh,hang on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they sitting ducks!  :D

James is a Scot, he won't feed them the day he intends to shoot them. He hates waste.

Amazing what a day and a telephone call can bring!

Off on my first big day tomorrow, spend today finding all my kit , making sure I have enough suitable cartridges , but most importantly , CAN I GET INTO MY SUIT????

Hope you have a good day Peter.

I also have a wardrobe which shrinks clothing, particularly tweed. Dare not chuck them out in case the wardrobe changes its mind and starts to make them bigger. We live in hope.

I've got my first 100 bird day of the season in 4 weeks, I packed my game bag and reorganised all my shooting attire two weeks ago, can't wait to get started now. Have put the clay gun away and started to shoot clays with the game gun now ready for the season.

Well, I thought it might be nice to report back !

As I said earlier, my first formal shoot of the day , unexpected invite .

Three hour drive in the Dawn hours through Fog to the Lynn Peninsula West Wales, to The Bodfuan Shoot.

First day through at the Pheasants so common sense said be selective, which I have to say I was very well behaved all day, left a lot to fly by .

We had six drives during the day interspersed with very short breaks between each drive whilst the Beaters re-grouped / moved on . Wonderful to see that my fellow guns indulged in fresh Orange and Spring water . Third  drive , stratospheric Partridge which I think were driven off Snowdon or flew over the top of Snowdon, shot a good few  to the applause of the Owner / Host , (he really shouldn't have, as now I have tight breeks and a tighter Cap).

Very nice light Lunch followed by three further drives that were everything you could have wished for.

Final drive for me was Sweet and Sour, a stratospheric Partridge decided to make a break for freedom, flew VERY high across and towards the Guns to the left, left by many of the guns, I locked on , pulled through and shot it first barrel to tumultuous applause from my right, opened my gun looked left to see my friend looking in anger and bewilderment. Ooops " Sorry Ashley" which I genuinely am . Just a pity that it ended that way.

It is no consolation that Ashley's other friends thought he would have missed it anyway!

If you want a Special Day , you could try 'Bodfuan'.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a member of two syndicates and enjoy my shooting days.Like many of you I also look for the odd day , somewhere different with friends for a 'special day'.

On Saturday I was fortunate to find a very special place and as my Wife often points out to me when I am looking for something, there it was right under my nose!

Wrekin Sporting run by Jonathan Crow.

He runs two shoots, Wappenshall, Telford, Shropshire, a very, very  good Partridge and Pheasant shoot (mainly Partridge ) on flat Moorland ground , and Leighton Hall Pheasant shoot , Buildwas near Ironbridge Telford, Shropshire, a very high , very beautiful rolling hills and valley shoot.

I would highly recommend both shoots to anyone looking for quality at a fair price, rather than unfulfilled promise at a high price , which sadly now seems to be very common.

This last year or two I've been buying single guns here and there at different shoots off guns on pegs. Only 100 bird days roughly, but I have really enjoyed meeting new people and going to new shoots.

There does seem to be an attitude problem with some people at the minute with regards to share of the bag. When I speak to most of my shooting pals they would never hear of buying a single gun on a day where you don't know anyone else for fear of some one else shooting too many birds and being greedy etc.

The way I look at it, as long as I feel I have had enjoyment suited to the money I have paid it doesn't matter what everyone else has shot.  A few seem to be too wrapped up in what everyone else is shooting rather than making sure they enjoy their day first and foremost. I have had 5 or 6 days out on my own now and I have come away pleased every time. Sometimes I've shot my share of the bag, sometimes more sometimes less. But every day I come away happy that I've pushed myself to do and go somewhere different, and have always had something to remember the the day by. Shoot and be happy!

Jonny, 

An excellent post.

Why be obsessed with greed ? Go out to enjoy yourselves and be happy and safe.

Recently I shot in similar circumstances , not knowing anyone.

First drive I noticed other guns shooting birds which were high enough to knock your cap off, tut, tut , tut.

The Host /Agent remarked that I let a good few low birds go past, " Yes they will hopefully fly better next time."

Next Drive I shot a few stonkers , the following drive a few more . Final drive a couple of very memorable birds, possibly shot my share , who knows , but I did shoot a few that everyone present will remember . Happy Days.

But the best day in 59 years remains my very first  left and right at Woodcock  that my Labrador marked and retrieved to hand both birds.

Funnily enough people often ask me whatever happened to him, then become embarrassed when they realise he would be about 42 years old now !

But what great memories shared by so many.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, I have the offer to work my cocker for the first time on Saturday beating on a small phessie shoot. Ten months of training her may or may not go out the window. Initially I had great help via email from mr salopian who remains available for advice of which I am truly grateful, then I have muddled through by either working it out myself or researching it. I have to admit its been great fun but much harder than I imagined. She is a strong willed stubborn little sod just like me and does not respond well to harsh or intimidating handling so its a softly softly approach. She is seventeen months now and how good she is I have no idea as I have nothing to compare her too as I am a total novice at this gundog malarkey. I have always been a learn it as you do it sort of chap so its a lets get on the beating line and work it out ourselves job. I am excited by the prospect but a little aprehensive however I shall try and keep calm and positive so eze does not pick up negative vibes (man)

any words of wisdom will be accepted below.

Always a difficult time first time out with a new dog. They sense your nervousness and they are nervous but excited too. Take it easy ( Eze?) first drive , probably on the lead to begin with so she gets an idea what is expected of her. Towards the end of the drive you could let her off the lead providing the second drive is not adjacent ( wouldn't want a flushing dog just yet would we?) Biggest issue with dogs is their inability to come back instantly on recall. It took me fifty years to train myself to do it when there was another bitch about . That was very expensive , at least two houses if I recall correctly . Ah Yes! recall that's what we were discussing , but I digress.

ha. Yep me too mate a very expensive lesson

but back to the topic, considered leaving lead on for first drive but she would strangle herself trying to go. Yes I know they should be good on a lead but she isn't unless I figure eight it. Off lead much better. It's a jump in and learn to swim job. Dog and me have to start somewhere and this is a small shoot twelve guns who beat for each other with a couple of extra beaters, there short on dogs and only 500 birds down, five woods five drives dogging in at 9am. Mate who invited me knows were both novice says it ain't a problem so be daft not too. At least it will tell me were our faults are then I can work on them.

Latest posts

Back