Noob Again - Lead

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FESkent.

There is a kindle app for iphone/ipad etc in case that helps. I'm not sure enough to provide direct instructions on setting it up but My wife used it and it was linked to her Amazon account so purchases were paid for via Amazon and then the book accessible on the App.

Thanks, if it a technical type read with photos and pictures then I think I would prefer a hard copy, but not sure I am convinced to buy it anyway.

Freddypip Thank you for your reply. I would like to answer in order if I may?

1. "Some already know what it says." Yes, I'm sure they do. The book was released in 2017 and many copies were distributed in the UK by ClayShooting USA editor Richard Rawlingson at that time. Many coaches and also shooters bought it. As a result I received lots of complimentary e mails saying how well the system works.
2. Your "quote" from the book that you repeat here? The statement is correct. So, your point is with this? I explained the logic of using diminishing lead in the article on my web. site "No Magic method" written for Sporting Clays magazine in May 2001. If you read it but still don't understand, please contact me again, I will be happy to explain the logic.

This morning here in the US I received another order from Amazon because copies of the book have sold out again.
So, I have some questions for you if you don't mind?
1. Do you coach?
2. If the methodology in the Unit Lead book doesn't work, why do many coaches and top shooters here in the US now use it?
3. After 17 years and three re-prints, why do you think the book sells so well?

FESkent. Are you the same person who I tried to give advice on solar panels, knife edge separators, arm rubbers and machine covers to reduce the number of breakages from machines on the Wet, Cold & No Bird post? If so, I would really appreciate it if you absolutely do NOT under any circumstances buy the book. Thank you.

"FESkent. Are you the same person who I tried to give advice on solar panels, knife edge separators, arm rubbers and machine covers to reduce the number of breakages from machines on the Wet, Cold & No Bird post? If so, I would really appreciate it if you absolutely do NOT under any circumstances buy the book. Thank you."

Given I'm almost certainly on the naughty step too what should I do with my copy ???

Don’t humour the man, just ignore him and perhaps he will disappear along with his ego

Freddypip Read it? I will be more than happy to answer anything you don't understand. Then answer my pertinent questions above...... like I always do? Come on Freddypip, don't be shy.

Last edited:
I have read it. All of it. And reviewed it.

1. No. Doing my CPSA Level 1 in the spring but I have a perfectly respectable day job so the qualification is primarily for interest & friends.
2. No Idea. I don't live in the US.
3. No Idea. I'm not a publisher.

Wynno - You are totally right but he did ask nicely.

Let's see if that first question is to put me down a peg or two so

FESkent. Are you the same person who I tried to give advice on solar panels, knife edge separators, arm rubbers and machine covers to reduce the number of breakages from machines on the Wet, Cold & No Bird post? If so, I would really appreciate it if you absolutely do NOT under any circumstances buy the book. Thank you.
yes that would be me, actually I think it was you trying to assert your advice as you always know best (not), rather than you accept other people know what’s best for their circumstance, with you finding it difficult to accept other peoples views or constructive comments

However what buying your book has to do with the previous discussion on trap maintenance or mode of operation is beyond me.
Then for your information I have been running the club, maintaining the traps for over twenty years and an RFD business for just as long. Also have a Honours degree in electrical engineering, previously working for many years in the global Telecommunications industry before starting my own business.
So I need no a lecture or advice from you.
Oh other than I will not be buying your book.

Given I'm almost certainly on the naughty step too what should I do with my copy ???

As teacher has told me not to buy his book why not send it to me for free 😂 or better still we treat it as a library book and pass it round to any forum member who would like to read it.

Yes Wynno. That is correct. But then, so has every other self-respecting coach, including ALL the UK coaches that sometimes responded on there. Perhaps that should tell you something? But in your case, perhaps not?
Freddypip No, I didn't ask question number 1 to "put you down a peg or so". I asked it because if you look on my web. site I claim (by using the Unit Lead methodology) to be able to give a sporting clay shooter a "logical way to decipher the variables of every target on a sporting clay course" in about 5-6 hours of picking up a shotgun. I also give a money back guarantee on results. Why would I do that, (and more importantly,) how long do you think I would last over here if I couldn't do what I say I can do? I was going to suggest that you could read the book and do the same because I think your students would probably appreciate it? But you now tell me that "you have reviewed it?" In that case, perhaps you could enlighten us all by suggesting a better system? But you won't, because there isn't one.

And the reason I suggested that FESkent would be better off NOT buying the UL book was because it was abundantly clear that he wasn't going to take my advice on machines, so it would be doubtful if he would take it by reading the book to help his shotgun skills.

I appreciate your advice but as I tried to explain to you we do not get the sunshine in the winter months in the U.K. where the traps and solar panels are securely stored to charge the batteries, but you think you know best yet you have no idea of the circumstance that apply.

The security system battery has hourly monitoring of its state of charge, as you can see we are getting approximately an hour or two of power from the solar system durring the last couple of days.

Attachments

• IMG_3474.jpeg
    IMG_3474.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
FESkent Thank you, I appreciate it. The book won't help you.

If you care look on the course design section of my web.site the advice was good advice. It was based on my 50 years experience running two facilities in the UK, the sporting clay manager for seven years at the best club here in the US and installing equipment at many dozens of other facilities. We install many thousands of machines annually, all over the US. From Bozeman, Montana, to Belle Chasse, Louisianna. So I believe I do understand the circumstances.

Last edited:
Freddypip Are you going to give us all your honest review of the Unit Lead ? I would love to hear it , I'm sure we all would if you don't mind? Thank you.

So you asked question No.1 to imply I should look at your website and be amazed by it's content. That’s a bit tenuous !.

As for a better – lets be nice and say alternative – system, the CPSA have their own which forms part of their coaching qualifications and which is supported by their comprehensive website; a website you would spontaneously visit if I asked “Are you a coach”. Other coaches in the UK have their own and many are very well respected for that reason.

I think FESkent might have given your book a go but you shut him down because he didn’t agree with you. Obviously now you know his solar panels don't work well in the winter months the book is definitely a no go from your perspective. He has plenty of experience and qualifications – not to mention a very constructive presence on this forum - but you know best.

I've posted some honest comments on your book already - as previously said the quote above sums it up for me and should be enough for other members of the forum to decide if it's for them.

Excellent idea – One copy of “You’re Behind It” by Peter Blakeley to the first to PM me on the proviso that it’s passed around the forum as required. No need for a money back guarantee on results as its available for free.

Anything else or can I go and wash my hair - my solar panels got just enough charge today to boil the kettle.

No, I suggested you look at my web. site to see that I am the ONLY coach here in the US to give a money back guarantee on results.

The CPSA insist on pull away (or they did) and many years ago I had a discussion with Roger Silcox (who I deeply admire BTW) at John Toplisses Stile Hollow shooting ground. I didn't shoot pull away because pull away is a two part gun movement ie. insert, then pull away. But, nobody tells you how much to pull away. Nobody. And of course, that's the important part. One foot, two feet, three feet, maybe more? No coaches mention lead. Regrdless of what you think, that's the MAIN reason why I wrote the books.

I continued the discussion with Roger many years later when I bumped into him in Florida. We had a mutual client, a prominent Congressman, here in the US and I coached him with the Unit Lead methodology. Subsequent discussions with Roger were very, very interesting.

Some already decide that the book won't work before they read it, otherwise:- "Why has nobody thought of this before?" Well, perhaps they did. But they didn't complile it in book form. The combination of the Unit Lead and Reading Targets book are all you need.

Twenty years ago ago, there were no coaches here in the US that described how much lead to give a target. None. These days, the ones that do describe lead, advise seeing it at the muzzle in some sort of measurement that correlates into lead out there at the target in feet. How very strange, Eh?

And I repeat my question:- What other method is there out there that will give you a logical way based on trigonometry and ballistic sense, that will help you to decipher the variables of SC targets? Please let us all know?

And of course, shooters pass books around....if they WORK. That's exactly what happened here. The book sold many copies over there, shooters couldn't get hold of it so they contacted me, especially some of the NOOBs. I tried to make things easier by providing an e book. And that Freddypip, is the story so far.

Last edited:
Freddypip. Please could you let me know where you posted the honest comments on the book? I must have missed them and I would like to respond to them if I may? Of course, I speculate that your suggestion about passing the Unit Lead book around was just a way to try to jerk my chain wasn't it? But being 50% owner of this www.LeadTech.co installing as many SC facilities as we do and selling as many books Worldwide as I do, did you really think it would? I mean, really? @ 80p per electronic download book sale profit? But I never hold a grudge, so good luck with your future endeavors.

FESkent Thank you, I appreciate it. The book won't help you.

If you care look on the course design section of my web.site the advice was good advice. It was based on my 50 years experience running two facilities in the UK, the sporting clay manager for seven years at the best club here in the US and installing equipment at many dozens of other facilities. We install many thousands of machines annually, all over the US. From Bozeman, Montana, to Belle Chasse, Louisianna. So I believe I do understand the circumstances.

So when did you visit the Club I am secretary for to “understand the circumstances “? Likewise unless I visited your shooting ground I would not pretend to know the circumstances of how or where it operates.
You show little respect for anybodies opinion always claiming to know best, which then sadly makes it difficult to engage with you.

Only last Sunday we had five beginners, never shot before, attend a Club have ago event, myself and the Club CPSA safety officer took them round the english sporting layout the Club had setup for that mornings shoot. Now neither I or the safety officer are formally trained coaches, experienced shots yes so we do our best to help the five, they went away having hit some and missed some and reported they enjoyed the experience.

So my interest in your book was to see if it would have enabled us on such an occasion to have better helped such people.

Back