Noise & etiquette - is it any wonder ! ( Rant mode on)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My pet hate is shooters closing guns by slamming them shut so that the gun closes and the barrels are parallel with the ground. I know some will say as long as they are in a safety cage and the barrels are facing into the target area then what's the harm ? Well I've seen this kind of indiscipline manifest into the game shooting field and have seen the culprits get firstly a friendly word of advice followed if it happens again a proper bolloking and sent home. Folks carrying guns broken on the shoulder in company is another no no. A mate of mines was smacked in the side of the face by some moron with no spatial awareness by and the moron just laughed !

Ahh I feel better now !

Guns on shoulders - my stock is 13.5 inches long.  If you are close enough to me to get smacked by it you are invading my personal space.

'>
640px-Personal_Space.svg.png

Guns on shoulders - my stock is 13.5 inches long.  If you are close enough to me to get smacked by it you are invading my personal space.

'>
640px-Personal_Space.svg.png
Maybe the bloke with said gun on his shoulder is invading the bloke who got smacked.

Its happened to me and some else nearly this weekend. No thought for other people

Over the arm, at least you can see it. or better still put it in a slip until needed.

Ran a shooting ground for some 17 years, during that time we probably trained up some 12 or more Safety Officers and ran some of their S.O. courses at our ground. We dutifully paid our annual affiliation fee and then came that flash of brilliance, the re qualification of Safety Officers scam. As running a shooting ground I was almost unable to shoot clays and having to pay an annual affiliation fee, I had not renewed my Individual CPSA membership. In order to requalify via the requalification scam, I was forced to renew my Individual membership, albeit as the cheapest form, the Clubman. I then successfully requalified, er, BY POST ??? and suprise, suprise, I passed. Total cost, somewhere in the region of £75. ONE month later, guess what ??? Safety Officers no longer require to requalify. So for 17 years of affiliation and assistance to run some of their courses, in return for ............................................well, NOTHING really.

Good old CPSA !

Had someone at Fareham who was so unsafe it was scary. I was pushing buttons for a guy going around on his own which is fine and I don't mind.

He shot 2 pairs, so I told him he was about to shoot his final pair. Shot those and reloaded again, after telling him again he was finished on this stand he put the safety on his gun and started to walk off, with live cartridges still in the gun! It took 4 of us to try and tell him to unload as it was unsafe, all of us stood well back until one guy grabbed the gun off of him. Somehow he couldn't understand what he was doing wrong!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had someone at Fareham who was so unsafe it was scary. I was pushing buttons for a guy going around on his own which is fine and I don't mind. He shot 2 pairs, so I told him he was about to shoot his final pair. Shot those and reloaded again, after telling him again he was finished on this stand he put the safety on his gun and started to walk off, with live cartridges still in the gun! It took 4 of us to try and tell him to unload as it was unsafe, all of us stood well back until one guy grabbed the gun off of him. Somehow he couldn't understand what he was doing wrong! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
@ PS - Good grief! that is truly staggering stupidity.

I have read this thread with some interest, and I am a little dismayed at the apparent assertion that non registered shoots are populated by drunken morons. I dare say some local "straw bailers" are as described, but as others have said, and as I have witnessed for myself; being a CPSA Registered shoot is absolutely NO guarantee of personal safety.

The simple fact is that an act of stupidity or a momentary lapse resulting in tragedy can occur at ANY shooting ground, and can be committed by anyone. And that includes people who’ve been shooting for decades as well as total newbies.

I wonder how many grounds are there that do not allow “unknown” newcomers to shoot until they have “proven” themselves. In my experience, the ONLY time (in a good few decades) I have ever been asked to shoot with the Ground Owner before being allowed “out”, was in fact at a very small local shoot. Happily, I have witnessed this practice at another place too, but again this was at a non registered shoot.

Just because someone has a badge with CPSA or BASC on it, does not mean they are safe.

To use a well worn expression "just sayin' "

Latest posts

Back