No Shotgun Ticket Anytime Soon

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm also in Avon & Somerset area.  Old licence was due to expire on 2nd September so sent in renewal at the beginning of July.  Communicated via emails several times and always had a reply within hours.  New certificate arrived on 1st September - just in time!  I actually think they're doing a pretty good job - I was told they process more than 35000 applications/renewals a year - no idea what size their team is, but that's a lot to process.  And with having to contact the applicants doctor now, no wonder some delays happen. 

I remember my first shotgun certificate application, oh so long ago, filled in form at post office, sent off with fee etc., received certificate 2 weeks later.  Happy days!
Hi Critter, I remember going to the PO with a ten bob note (50p) and walking out with a gun license.

Hope this is fact and not my memory letting me down. Any one remember doing the same?.

Hi Critter, I remember going to the PO with a ten bob note (50p) and walking out with a gun license.

Hope this is fact and not my memory letting me down. Any one remember doing the same?.

That's before my time are you shooting from a Zimmer frame :lol:

Maybe IPS can put some input here :angel:

Last edited by a moderator:

bollox

before my time too. However I do remember the days before cabinets when my guns were securely stored under my bed ?

I am only 66, but the zimmer frame idea is one I may well take up. Wonder what the OT shooters would make of that, a limping old age pensioner and his frame, hobbling around behind them when moving from peg 5 to peg 1.

I am only 66, but the zimmer frame idea is one I may well take up. Wonder what the OT shooters would make of that, a limping old age pensioner and his frame, hobbling around behind them when moving from peg 5 to peg 1.

You can get them with wheels on :angel:

wont be a problem balltrap manages ok

wont be a problem balltrap manages ok
fu.gif

Just as way of update, week 39 of 40 has come and gone and still no contact since acknowledgement 30 weeks ago (and of course cheque cashing).  This is despite PCC election promise of improving turnaround and Police advising him that wait times have halved (they haven't!)

It does seem however that MP is now on the case... 

Just as way of update, week 39 of 40 has come and gone and still no contact since acknowledgement 30 weeks ago (and of course cheque cashing).  This is despite PCC election promise of improving turnaround and Police advising him that wait times have halved (they haven't!)

It does seem however that MP is now on the case... 
I was about to start moaning I still hadn't received mine. 

It's only been 8 weeks. 

I will shut up now though I think

According to Northants Police www they aim at a 10 week turn around for a sgc grant.

I'm currently sitting at 7/10 weeks and counting :(

I see mention in this post and others of "surrendering" your old licence?

Is this the norm as i have never been asked and still have all my old ones?

I see mention in this post and others of "surrendering" your old licence?

Is this the norm as i have never been asked and still have all my old ones?
I haven't either but I always destroy the old ones.

Avon & Somerset ask you to send in your old licence, once you've received your new one.

Devon & Cornwall are pretty good at the moment.  I got my first reminder to renew my co-terminus FAC and Shotgun Certificate due on 2 January 2017 back in early October.  I left it for a fortnight and got a reminder warning that they wouldn't now be able to deal with it by 2nd January.  I sent it all in with a scanned copy of the current certificate.  I then got a phone call to agree a date and time for a telephone renewal interview which was the next day which went fine.  New Certificate signed on 7th December so 2 months from start to finish.  Well done D & C!

So week 44 of 40 and I have had my visit with FAO.  Even as a straightforward application I now completely understand and appreciate the delays, can't explain in an open forum what they are due to but it is for a for a very good reason indeed, just a shame that they cant publicise it.  Well done Essex Police for making an unpopular decision for the benefit of everyone.  Hopefully ticket will rock up in a couple of weeks or so... it would be nice to take less than a year! Time to go centrefire shopping! Bye bye foxes ( not a cryptic reference to the impending relegation of and Leicester)

So week 44 of 40 and I have had my visit with FAO.  Even as a straightforward application I now completely understand and appreciate the delays, can't explain in an open forum what they are due to but it is for a for a very good reason indeed, just a shame that they cant publicise it.  Well done Essex Police for making an unpopular decision for the benefit of everyone.  Hopefully ticket will rock up in a couple of weeks or so... it would be nice to take less than a year! Time to go centrefire shopping! Bye bye foxes ( not a cryptic reference to the impending relegation of and Leicester)
Did they explain to you why shotgun certificates are being renewed in the time span of under a month to 51 weeks? In my view its a total load of bollox and pot luck if you get it sooner rather than later. This includes people with FAC's

Even as a straightforward application I now completely understand and appreciate the delays, can't explain in an open forum what they are due to but it is for a for a very good reason indeed, just a shame that they cant publicise it.  Well done Essex Police for making an unpopular decision for the benefit of everyone.
I can't imagine how the incredibly long waiting time is for the benefit of everyone, unless you're going along the lines of the wait is some kind of "cooling off" period like they have in some American states, even so 9 months+ is a very long cooling off period.

The reason I was given by my FEO for the long waiting time was because of a high staff turnover, which in my opinion is understandable but not really for the benefit of everyone.

PP, if you'd like to PM me what was said to you, I'd be very interested to hear it and I'd respect your wishes and not post it publicly.

Back