No Shotgun Ticket Anytime Soon

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The real issue here is that the is no national standard, people in Suffolk pay the same as Essex but apparently receive 12 times (according to ST letter) better service.

If there were a six week standard nationally ( how long can it really take, a day at most including visit?) after which the fee was discounted at 8 weeks and returned in its entirety at 10 weeks then these departments might sharpen up.

Public sector at its finest... what is crazy is that the technology exists to do 85% of this work online...
Problem is when you privatise anything within a short period of time it ends up worse than when its in public hands and they charge twice as much for it!

Network rail,power companies,G4s,etc,etc

Have I got this wrong please? Someone tell me where it says the Police are required to check your security (for Shotguns) I am aware of the guidance issued by BASC but I do not see any such legal obligation placed on the Police. 

Have I got this wrong please? Someone tell me where it says the Police are required to check your security (for Shotguns) I am aware of the guidance issued by BASC but I do not see any such legal obligation placed on the Police. 
This is a bit convoluted but here goes.

Government Guide on Firearms Licensing Law https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/518193/Guidance_on_Firearms_Licensing_Law_April_2016_v20.pdf

States :

“ 11.24 If the grant of a certificate is not so precluded, licensing staff have to satisfy themselves that the applicant can be permitted to possess a shotgun without danger to public safety or to the peace. A home visit should always be carried out before granting a certificate to a first time applicant. This should include an interview and consideration of their security arrangements. At renewal a risk-based assessment may indicate the need for another interview with the applicant or further enquiries about security arrangements. These enquiries may be done over the telephone or by email rather than by home visit, in accordance with the level of the risk assessment. Home visits should always be made by prior appointment and take place at a mutually convenient time. .”

Now the above is not law but home office guidance the chief officer of police should follow, how they justify it regarding the act is.

The law

Firearms Act:

Special provisions about shot gun certificates.

“28  (1)Subject to subsection (1A) below, a shot gun certificate shall be granted or, as the case may be, renewed by the chief officer of police if he is satisfied that the applicant can be permitted to possess a shot gun without danger to the public safety or to the peace.”

Not having adequate security is considered a danger to the public safety, the only way the chief officer of police can be satisfied is to follow the home office guidance and a home visit. The renewals are more of a grey area but the Police can always justify it, however the current guidance doesn’t say they should visit on renewals just risk assess it.

Simple fact if they don’t follow home office guidance and something does go wrong they will be in for a heck of a lot of criticism and regarding the renewal risk assessment, taking the worst-case scenario also covers their backside.  

But the legal onus is for the chief officer of police to be satisfied there is no danger to the public safety which is a broad legal brush and the guidance given to him requires home visits for first time applicants.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't see the problem, if feo wants to call and have a brew and a chat and look in my gunroom he or she is welcome anytime.

I really don't see the problem, if feo wants to call and have a brew and a chat and look in my gunroom he or she is welcome anytime.
The problem down here Ips, is that by the time they call, the tea will be cold and the biscuits stale. It really is becoming a farce and there is F/A we can do about it. Oh sure you can complain but your only complaining to the people who issue it - The chief Officer of police. 

yes I believe some areas are ridiculously slow for granting or renewal. Never had this with lancashire

I sent our renewals into West Yorks about 4 months before they were due, FEO rang that week to ask what i was playing at. Got the issue in about 4 weeks.

Can someone let me know if this is actually true. I was of the impression that to own a shotgun was an individuals right , it was up to the police to make a case why the individual should not be allowed to own one. Back in the day I think you went to the local post office to get a certificate?

I am not saying it is right but I have never had to mention the fact that I actually have a shotgun to the police. Here you buy your gun on showing the gun shop keeper your hunting or target shooting licence and he send the sales receipt to the prefecture who then issue a owners cert... job done. 

The right to bear arms unless you were catholic was granted in 1689 .

The firearms act of 1920 required a licence and registration for firearms but deemed a shotgun not to be a firearm for the purpose of the act.

The 1967 Criminal Justice Act required a licence but not registration for shotguns. 

The Firearms act of 1968  required a license and registration for shotguns but no security requirements and the chief officers of police did have his hands tied a bit on refusals.

The act was amended in 1988 to include security for shoguns and allow chief officers of police more discretion in issuing shotgun certificates and refusals.

Again thank you timps, I was also under the impression that the Certificate was an "Issue" and not a "Grant" even though the Police use the word Grant all over the forms and advice etc. 

So, seems I was right until 1988  :wink:  

I am well. Sent you a pm earlier my friend

i am a pragmatic agnostic so were do i stand
You will have to pretend you are Protestant .. "That the subjects which are Protestants may have arms for their defence suitable to their conditions and as allowed by law"

Would be interesting to see if they accepted a baptism certificate rather than a shotgun one when buying a gun :)

Dont come to W. Sussex,  ;)

Fisrt application to issue  22 days, I kid you not !!!

10 days from lodging application to first contact

7 days later for visit,    with the notice of up to 21 days for the cert to arrive

5 days later cert on mat  :)

22 days start to finish  :)   thats efficient!

:santa:

East Sussex are on the ball,, i sent in a change of address, (within East Sussex area)  7 days total to get the replacement Certificate. excellent service from the FEO`s i have dealt with from Lewes firearms unit.

i also did online DVLA for driving license too, received 3 days after application ! excellent service i think !

I have now been waiting 35 weeks for my FAC of a 40 week turnaround target by Essex who are now stating that targets are not being met and the timescale is now 40 weeks plus.  5 weeks to go and I havent even heard from FAO, they truly are shambolic.

Latest posts

Back